Cell Shaded Battletech

Only Garden Ninja Painting Studio Staff may start new topics in this forum. All users may respond to existing topics.
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Cell Shaded Battletech

Post by gardenninja »

These old Battletech miniatures were painted using some fairly recent techniques I’ve generally seen referred to as “Comic Book Style Painting.”

In addition to normal dark lining, I added dark edging to areas that would normally be the highest highlights on the minis. This creates an interesting cell shaded effect.

These particular minis were painted to match the old (and adequagely cheesy) Battletech Cartoons. Sometimes, they would forgo normal animation to employ then-state-of-the-art computer generated animation with everything outlined in green. This is why these minis are all in a transition state between the two styles.

GearHead ( 674 )
Expert Trader

Re: Cell Shaded Battletech

Post by GearHead »

I love it!
A few trade guidlines:
1) If your feedback is significantly lower, I expect you to ship first, even if I'm buying- Money carries greater risks than minis: I can't buy groceries with a box of Tac Marines!
2) Communication is key! I'm a reasonable guy (I try,) so if there's a problem, tell me!
3) I package things well, you should do the same. Protect minis from each other, too.
4) Leave feedback!
funderhammer ( 30 )
Trade Novice

Post by funderhammer »

Yeah that is super cool!
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

Thanks.

I get really excited about meta-breaking things. For a long time, I feel like we were pushing miniatures painting forward in a technical direction, but we were mostly going in the same direction (ie- the ideal is the same).

It always excites me when something can work well without fitting into the paradigm.
LeperColony ( 62 )
BTown Regular

Post by LeperColony »

I only just noticed that you did up the legs in green wire frame as though they were entering the "enhanced targeting" mode (or whatever it was called) that the clans had. Excellent detail!
All offers contingent on confirming condition of items
Lower rating ships first
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

That's exactly what that is. The bases also have the green grid over them to match.

My client had the idea of transitioning between the two styles. He let me make the call about whether it would work, so I tried it out and ended up really liking it.

Return to “Garden Ninja Painting Studio”