New Site Weirdness

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Re: New Site Weirdness

Post by Plarz »

pretre wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 pm
Not sure if this is new or just something I never ran into before, but:

"Your message contains 65254 characters.
The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000."
That looks like a math error. If you re-tried the post, was it successful?
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Plarz wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:09 pm
pretre wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 pm
Not sure if this is new or just something I never ran into before, but:

"Your message contains 65254 characters.
The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000."
That looks like a math error. If you re-tried the post, was it successful?
It was not. I ended up posting the non-coded version of it instead to get past the error.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

WTF?
You writing novels on Bartertown?
LOL

My guess is that it is probably something Plarz set, and can update, because... "Nobody is going to write THAT big of an ad."
LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 pm
WTF?
LOL

My guess is that it is probably something Plarz set, and can update, because... "Nobody is going to write THAT big of an ad."
LOL

Eric
I just got another big consignment, so I'm rocking about 400+ items.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Well, until/unless Plarz can get the limit updated, you might consider only putting the forum-appropriate items into each post (I'm presuming you have a range of games available), and just linking your other ads in the bottom of each ad.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 pm
Well, until/unless Plarz can get the limit updated, you might consider only putting the forum-appropriate items into each post (I'm presuming you have a range of games available), and just linking your other ads in the bottom of each ad.

Eric
I don't know how easy it is to do that, because it directly alters the database architecture, and potentially drastically alters the size it'll take up on disk.

Also, Photobucket ate your avatar photo.
pretre wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 pm
MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 pm
WTF?
LOL

LOL

Eric
I just got another big consignment, so I'm rocking about 400+ items.
I found a copy of your post from today and it only had 38k characters - how much did you trim out? That suggests nearly half your post is formatting code...
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Eric
Yeah, that's kind of a PITA, so I'll just go with the no formatting.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Plarz wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:02 pm
I found a copy of your post from today and it only had 38k characters - how much did you trim out? That suggests nearly half your post is formatting code...
Sounds about right. Each line item has at least one url tag that goes to an image. That adds a lot of characters.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

pretre wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm
Plarz wrote:
Sounds about right. Each line item has at least one url tag that goes to an image. That adds a lot of characters.
That would be it, then, yeah. That has to be a pain to maintain... Have you considered albums?
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Plarz wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 pm
pretre wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm
Plarz wrote:
That would be it, then, yeah. That has to be a pain to maintain... Have you considered albums?
I have albums, but I get better hits if I have individual items tagged to a picture. It's also easier to maintain the list that way. I only really have to add something once and then delete it when it sells, so it isn't too bad.

My main spot for updating is to my dakka sales post, then I cheat and copy the source out to my webpage. BT, FB and some other spots are kind of secondary since I have so many different posts across those groups/sites. I update the Dakka and Web one pretty frequently, but only update the others when I need to repost (every 4 days or so).
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Plarz
They ate my Avatar months ago.
I just haven't taken the time to deal with it. LOL

Eric

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Ha! Sold enough to get it back under the limit again.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

PLarz,

bored at work trying to get a GRC system up and thought I would do some testing of your 504 error after reading all of the posts of what is working/not working and I noticed something.

when I do a straight search on pretty much any word I get the 504 error, especially if it is vague like "battle", fleet, Warhammer, etc....

So I went to the advanced search and started paring down the search and I noticed that if I select a specific forum on the search and limit the search results to 50 or less that I can consistently find items that I could not find using the main search function on the board. When I jacked it up to 200 or 300 for results it would time out (504), even if I know there was only 2 results (as I do with the "Battle*Fleet" search)

Battle gave me more results again works at 50 returns and below.

Now, if I choose ALL of the forums and do the same search on Battle it will load an initial page of results and show that there are up to 47 pages to look through, but if I try and go to the next page it will either tell me I cannot search again in "X" seconds or after I wait that time period it will give me a 504 error.

Is there a way to limit the global search results to below say 50?

also, it feels that the boards are having an caching issue trying to retain all of those results in memory for each user. Is there a way to see if maybe the virtual box you are being hosted on may be having some memory issues? (can you run any diagnostics on your end to see if the server is swapping memory???)

is there a buffer setting for each user that you don't know of that is restricting how much data a user can consume before it is over-written? (like a cache setting?)

it "feels" as if this is specifically linked to how much data a user is trying to pull in memory as the board compiles the search....

I'm not a php forum expert but have seen issues like this in SAP searches and GRC requests....

hope it helps :)

Bluemeenie
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Thank you, sir, for taking the time to do that!

Eric

bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:36 am
Thank you, sir, for taking the time to do that!

Eric
watching a system upgrade is like watching paint drive buddy.... :)

I had nothing but time to contribute what little i did. I just hope it helps.

if it does you can give me a special techie color for my log on ;)

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”