Is Warhammer Fantasy Dead?

Talk about all GW fantasy here

Moderator: Moderators

Ripcord ( 50 )
Journeyman Trader

Is Warhammer Fantasy Dead?

Post by Ripcord »

So i have recently notice a ton of listing trying to sell Fantasy Armies and very little looking For Fantasy armies.

Recently I have decided to leave the GW Fantasy world because my current gaming group just has no interest. So as I hnow look for partners to trade my armies too i have seen a wave of people trying to get rid of their armies.

So is it dead? or is this mostly because of the release of 6th in 40k?
I'm From Canada. This may involve a slight cost increase for shipping.

I am always open to offers, even if I don't list something as a want it doesn't hurt to make an offer.

It is polite to respond to a pm even if its just to say no thanks.

If you don't respond within 48hours all offers are void. Unless you have informed me ahead of time.

I Love Batman
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Is Warhammer Fantasy Dead?

Post by kturock »

Fantasy has never had the following as 40k since the rules are tougher. The last rules have changed movement; before you had to pay percentage of movement to change formation or facing, now it's just reform and wheels. also it used to cost movement to go up hills/slopes.

movement in 40k is all skirmish, no formations or facings. If you models is with 2" it can attack. LoS is 360 degrees. no psyker/magic phase.

Trays are needed for movement, to keep columns and rows. The last/previous edition pretty much homoginised most of the game.

fantasy will be next for it to prosper.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
THEFAN ( 580 )
Millenium Trader

Post by THEFAN »

I've played fantasy since 2nd edition. Tells my age I know but I have seen a lot fo changes. Some good and most bad. I believe part of the problem is there's a lot of things to do today. People don't stick to one or a few things anymore for a long period of time. When I got started there was only WHFB no other so it was easy to stick to it. to answer your question with a yes or no I havae to say no it will never die.
"I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers." - D. Rockefeller creator of the National Education Association.
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

THEFAN wrote:. When I got started there was only WHFB no other so it was easy to stick to it.

I think that's the biggest thing here. Competition from other gaming systems.

One big deterrent for me is that in my area (hopefully it's not like this everywhere but people can shed some light), the guys who play warhammer fantasy just seem like bigger douchebags. Rule nazis, hissy fits, "your list is broken" attitude, the need to win and not have fun, and the thing that irritates me the most is the whole elitist attitude that I am better because I play warhammer fantasy and it's better. That's what did it for me. Thankfully I had daemons so I just use them for 40k
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

Read this before shipping to me
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

really..that's how the 40K players are around here.

the biggest problem with 40k is it's players...always looking for loopholes. [actually the biggest problem is GW's lack of support for it's players. and the unclear rules. no official ways to get an answer.]

I had a question about Dystopian Wars, I posted it on the Spartan Games website. The 1st part of the answer was, was your opponent a 40k player? that sounds like something one would say.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

kturock wrote:really..that's how the 40K players are around here.

the biggest problem with 40k is it's players...always looking for loopholes. [actually the biggest problem is GW's lack of support for it's players. and the unclear rules. no official ways to get an answer.]

Yeah 40k players are bad too.... Yeah and when I switched over to Malifaux I noticed the support on rules is a huge difference. I find I only deal with bad 40k players these days are at games workshop, I think has to do with how seriously they take the game, but ya good point on rule support. Games workshop is a business first.
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

THEFAN ( 580 )
Millenium Trader

Post by THEFAN »

Hi I'm THEFAN and I am a GamesWorkshop addict. :) Not that I like the corporate aspect of GW. It sucks!! I've been around GW for a long time. Went to the 2-9 gamedays faithfully. Maine to Towson then to downtown Baltimore. Fantasy: started in the 2nd edition, 40K played when the first rules. I felt GW was always competing with Magic the Gathering. Fast and quick style play. After GWs growth from 3rd to 4th edition WHFB I was so happy to see GW get away from the cartoon era!! I feel that was a good era for GWs growth globally. Wizards of the Coast had the card games locked up and GW had the miniatures market locked up for a little while anyway. Then came the internet!! Time for GW to lose some of it's market share. Anyway I digress my thoughts. I admit I will be using rules that stretch across all editions. But then again I have a private group that will be playing. Fairs fair, roll a dice and after the game discuss the issues. In my long days of playing I have played a lot of people who had no clue of the rules. Then I just started playing people who knew how to read. :)
"I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers." - D. Rockefeller creator of the National Education Association.
Gaijin18 ( 272 )
Resident Trader

Post by Gaijin18 »

The store I mainly play at seems to be seasonal for some strange reason in swapping between fantasy becoming more popular during the fall and winter months and 40 during the spring and summer,,,shrugs,,,after taking the plunge into fantasy I for one love it compared to 40k.
"Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant"

Black Templar-24,000+
Imperial Guard
Gaunts Ghost -2,000
Victoria's Own 33rd of Foot-2,000
Sisters of battle-2,500
Loyal Chaos Marines-2,000
Legio I Italica-8.000

Bretonnians 3,000plus
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

Gaijin18 wrote:The store I mainly play at seems to be seasonal for some strange reason in swapping between fantasy becoming more popular during the fall and winter months and 40 during the spring and summer,,,shrugs,,,after taking the plunge into fantasy I for one love it compared to 40k.

I honestly think we are just addicts that can't stop buying stuff lol. I know I am.

Ripcord ( 50 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Ripcord »

I find that one member of my gaming group seems to control the direction of what we play. He also happens to spend the most money.

He doesn't play Fantasy so it just died because we all want to play together.

The he I refere to is also a Bartertown member

I am always open to offers, even if I don't list something as a want it doesn't hurt to make an offer.

If you don't respond within 48hours all offers are void. Unless you have informed me ahead of time.

I Love Batman
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

That guy sounds handsome

Ripcord ( 50 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Ripcord »

He's not

I Love Batman
MikeyC ( 22 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by MikeyC »

I like fantasy more than 40k. More strategy, more difficult rules. 40k has turned into something any 6 year old can pick up and play. Easy rules don't interest me.
Currently awaiting feedback from:
smonsour ( 750 )
Millenium Trader

Post by smonsour »

Depends where you live. I have lived in places where WHFB is king and other places where its 40K. I have also been to places they play neither and warmachine is the game that everyone plays.
check my other email smonsour@mindspring.com for many more references.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem!

in my day, children like you where left ot die on windswept craigs!
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

When I worked for GW the belief was 40K was bigger in North America and Fantasy was bigger in Europe. It seemed to hold true at the time, but that was about 12 years ago now. I don't know what the current demographics are.
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.

Return to “The Olde Worlde”