BASING, magnetic bases/strips

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

UrbinoPrince ( 30 )
Journeyman Trader

BASING, magnetic bases/strips

Post by UrbinoPrince »

Need ideas on magnetic bases and basing ships in carrying cases...where to get it and how to do it
Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: BASING, magnetic bases/strips

Post by Boskie43 »

Litko Bases/Magnetic bottoms w/ the adhesives are great.

Magna-rack all day long from Battlefoam. I don't know if I'll buy another bag or transport set up again till other people replicate it.
George B
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

You should talk to ‘The Magnet Baron’. He is a BarterTown advertiser and he is quite knowledgeable... it is his business - magnets.

In the square days, I liked to use rubberized steel (industrial sheets) on wooden trays (really early days) or the gw customizable trays (sadly very expensive now)... the rubberized steel has an adhesive side but I always glued them down (or they will eventually start peeling and at least set off my ocd or worst case rip free [rare]).

Then you buy magnets and hand glue to the underside of the base (1/32 or 1/16 width - thin) or buy magnetized bases and skip that step (expensive).

In the era of all round, I use skirmish trays (thought they are a pain to get in the US as my preferred version is made in Poland) and the thinnest magnests I can get (1/32nd width) then I attach one dead center in the tray circle and the same on the underside of the base... any wider and they will not be flush to the tray.

The supper important thing is to insure 100% that the polarity of all the magnets match (on all bases and tray all positive or all negative up pointing)... make a template set first then make all further from you template set or you will end up with a mess of negative all up bases and positive all up bases... or worse bases where some are up and some are down... you need to use a consistent system for all trays (if they are to be for general use).

The case is simply spots for the bases (or that may just be my preference) with a few larger magnets attached that use the same polarity up for each tray (I would say 4 for square and probably three round [snake them or triangle them])...

Case to Tray... Tray to Bases... minis glued to bases (or you can mag those too - but I found that to be difficult with most minis).

All I can think of right now.

Thanks,
Sean
larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

Are you using square or round bases? Squares are super easy , kings of war style games. most home improvement stores sells cheap sheet metal, which you can cut with metal clippers also cheap. This makes your movement trays. Once you have your trays take a look in the same stores magnet section. There isa company that males magnetic strips ( looks like thick electrical tape) just cut to fit square base and boom, magnetic tray and bases with almost zero conversion. I used to do this for my old fantasy armies.

If your looking for round there is a kickstart up right now i think from blue table painting specifically for magnetizing round bases and its super cheap imo
sincerely,

Matt
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm not a big fan of the strips, myself. I don't find that they stick to the bottom of the base as well as I'd like.
I prefer gluing actual magnets to the bottom of the base (like you can get from our advertiser, The Magnet Baron, coincidentally!!!!!!!!). Those hold really well.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”