Resin 3D Printers - Questions and Discussion

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Resin 3D Printers - Questions and Discussion

Post by MagickalMemories »

First:
HORRIFYING stories. Ugh,

Second:
Thanks for sharing your experiences and checklist.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

So, I had the opportunity to buy a VERY well priced NICE (new) printer here, and the wife put the screws to it.

I now know why.

I'm the proud owner of a new Mono X and Wash & Cure station.
This is COOL.
There's a learning curve, and it's an EXPENSIVE initial investment... but I'm having fun.

I've actually been thinking about starting a little YT channel, just to document my journey... but I have so LITTLE free time that it's not likely.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Congrats! Have you settled on a resin yet? If you need help, hit me up.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Well, it came with AnyCubic's Flesh resin.
When you buy the whole kit, you don't get to pick your resin color. Everyone I'm seeing in FB groups who are newly getting theirs are all getting "Flesh" with them. AnyCubic calls it "Peach Puff" on their site now, so I'm wagering that they're trying to ditch old stock.

I ordered 3 different kg of resins from their site, because it was a "buy 2 get 1 free deal. So, for $75 USD, I bought:
1x 1KG / Translucent Green
2x 1KG / White
Lesson learned: Never order resin directly from AnyCubic's website again. I totally overlooked the 15-20 day delivery window.

I would've ordered their gray, but they were out of it in the 1 kg size bottles.

I suspect I'm going to end up with a different brand. I'm hearing a lot of good about Elegoo's resins.
I will probably just end up testing out a bunch until I find something I like. Whatever I get, though... I'm buying on Amazon Prime. LOL

That said, I'm ALL IN to hear any reviews you have on resins.

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I tried printing a 40k themed ring. CLEARLY over-exposed the resin. The (thin) supports that were inside the ring came out like a WALL of resin. I just cleaned and cured the thing and am keeping it as-is, as a trophy of my learning curve. : )

Eric

YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Gotta save the early fails to look back on later. I still have my first test cube on the shelf that was mostly a success.

Re: resins - You don't have to stick to the same brand as your printer. In all of my trial and error I settled on Phrozen Aqua-gray 4K. It's very thin viscosity and holds details really well. It's my go to for now. Still waiting on my bag of Atlas Vulcan resin from their KS to arrive to test with. If it lives up to the hype I will be switching. Also going to look at Atlas Hercules resin when that becomes available. They have footage of a printed ship surviving a 20 ft fall onto concrete w/o a scratch...

And just order on Amazon. Most of the resins are there in stock and don't take a month (or more) to arrive. Buying direct from Phrozen was going to cost me more in shipping no matter how many bottles I ordered.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Yep. Definitely NOT buying directly from the manufacturers websites any more. Saving a couple bucks won't be worth the wait.
Crazy about that ship!

Hey. Help me with cure times?
Is there a good... formula... for cure times? Previously, I figured that curing for a LONG time would be better but, just today, I'm seeing that only a few minutes is really needed.

Thanks.

Eric

YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Here's a very handy resource: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =132469647

You can use those as a starting point and adjust as needed from there. In general, most standard resins are in the 2 sec per layer or less range.

Or are you referring to post cure?
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Post cure also depends on the resin. For mine I usually go by the size of the piece. Small bits like arms, shoulder pads, etc. I only use 1 minute. Really big pieces like tanks I go 5~6 minutes. And scale accordingly between those.

Over-curing can cause some resins to warp or discolor, so I've found that "less is more". YMMV.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

YoungWolf777 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:12 pm
Here's a very handy resource: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =132469647

You can use those as a starting point and adjust as needed from there. In general, most standard resins are in the 2 sec per layer or less range.

Or are you referring to post cure?
Well, I WAS talking about curing the actual prints. I know that over-curing can make them brittle... but I can't find anything NEAR a definitive guide on what good cure times are.

That said... I DO need to figure out what kind of exposure time to use on AnyCubic's "skin" resin. I have a link to that spreadsheet (Thank you, however!), and it isn't on there.
I've had a few failures.
Tried to print a single ring with autusupports. CLEARLY overcooked the exposure.
First Ring Tiled.jpg
Tried to support it myself (VERY VERY GENTLE supports). It was DEFINITELY under-supported... and overexposed. LOL
Two Rings Tiled.jpg
My settings on the last ones:
Slicer Images.png
I'm going to try it again with heavier supports, less exposure, and slice it in Chitubox, instead of Photon Workshop, per some advice from the Mono X FB Group.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Oh yes, ditch Photon Workshop immediately.

Cut your bottom layers to 5~6. 20 secs should be plenty.

For an .050 slice I would expect something around a 1.8~2.1 time.

Your lift speeds are in the danger zone. 2.0 is too fast for lighter supports and too slow for "vroom" speeds. Drop that to 1.0 at most to start. Once you get the hang of things then try out vroom. Think of it like tearing off a band-aid. You can go slowly to try to minimize the pulling tension and peel the layer from the FEP, or you can go really fast (3.0 minimum) and just rip it off quickly. In between those 2 extremes is just asking for trouble. Start slow. ;)

I would also suggest angling the ring up a bit more as well as adding a raft.

I favor Lychee for my supporting & slicer. Very robust, even without the subscription. I don't regret paying for the sub at all. Their Discord is super helpful and they are very responsive for application support.

We can take this to PM or even email if you prefer. I would be happy to support that file for you to give you a better example of how to tackle it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I just put together another copy of the file.
I appreciate your offer to support it. If my supports go to crap, I might just take you up on your offer. I'm being less delicate with the print this time, though. I *THINK* the supports will be okay. I did end up angling the ring more, too.

This one is down to 2 seconds per layer, with 2.5 second lift speeds.
I'm keeping my UV power at 50% but, otherwise, I'm pretty much following the AnyCubic site:
https://www.anycubic.com/blogs/news/res ... d-printers

And I think this is a perfectly fine place for this discussion. Not only is it VERY on topic for the Subject line, but others who are new to the hobby will be able to come along and learn from our discussion... even if it's to learn how NOT to waste 2/3 of your first liter bottle of resin! LOL

I'm going to set the print before bed tonight. Weekends are busy as all get out for me. So, I can't promise any updates before Sunday eve (more likely Monday), but I'll be sure to come back with a follow-up and images (probably).

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

...Another one bites the dust.
And another one bites the dust...

Ran another plate of 8 rings last night.
Total failure.
Went downstairs this morning and found 8 sets of supports (only) hanging from my build plate. ONE had a PARTIAL ring on it.
Had to empty the vat and peel the other 7 off of my FEP.
20211211_103019.jpg
The one ring that turned out the best... I can still feel lines in the skull and see them in the flat (recessed) part of the =I=. So, I know I have exposure issues to deal with, as well.

Emailed the initial file to YW... going to take him up on his offer to support the file.
Future tests will ONLY be done on pre-supported files, until I get my exposure settings dialed in better... and about the time I do, I'll probably be out of this resin. LOL

I'm still undeterred, however. I have ambitious plans in mind for future prints, and I'm committed to seeing them to fruition!

I look forward to seeing some more in this thread. PLEASE, feel free to share YOUR OWN experiences, failures, and successes here. This is not MY thread. This is OUR thread!

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

For calibrating any resin I would recommend to start here:

https://ameralabs.com/blog/3d-printer-calibration-part/
and
https://youtu.be/3JLGWRQqtkw

Atlas 3DSS are the premier supporting service in the world today. Join their Discord here: https://discord.gg/pvbhVxNm (link only valid for 7 days.)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I hear AWESOME things about Atlas.

Eric

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”