Resin 3D Printers - Questions and Discussion

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Resin 3D Printers - Questions and Discussion

Post by MagickalMemories »

Whoah.
No.

If you want stl files of actual 40k models, we don't allow that here - not even discussion of it. IP laws and all that.
Now, if you want files for PROXY models, and models that look close... that's fine.

But we take IP protection very seriously on BTown. We'd treat the discussion of "where to I get stl files of GW models" exactly the same as we would "Where can I buy recast models?"

That said, I like Cults3D and Thingiverse for files. Also, Google...
If you want a Space marine proxy, do a google images search for "40k Space Marine.stl," and peruse the images. If you find an STL you like, follow the link and go directly to the page. It's often easier to find the file that way easier than going directly to a site.

Also, you could look at "40k Space Marine patreon," and find an artist who makes them.

Good luck on your quest.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

MagickalMemories wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:43 am
Tonight, I start my most ambitions project to date...
Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, by Wicked (who I've begun supporting on Patreon).

It'll be over 40 hours of PRINTING, and over a bottle of resin. And that's only because it's been hollowed!

Eric
FAIL.

Started with one head of the hammer. Supports on a corner didn't print right, and that side of the head came out wonky and messed up. : (
There's about 11 hours and $5 in resin down the drain.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Bradgar ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Bradgar »

Okay, sorry about the breach of etiquette. I have found cult3d and thingiverse, also a site called 'yeggi' although it seems to just be a site of links and not actual stl's. The issue I am having with thingiverse is I am looking for bits, not entire models. Just the bits I am missing for the models I do own.

Are there any resources available to learn how to make your own STL's? I would like to make copies of the bits I do own for some of the older sculpts that are not supported anymore.
YoungWolf777 ( 1150 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

https://www.yeggi.com is a good place to start. It's a search engine specifically for STL files.

The biggest sites are https://cults3d.com/ and https://www.myminifactory.com/. There's also https://gumroad.com/, but I find it a bit tedious to navigate.
YoungWolf777 ( 1150 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

If you want to learn 3D sculpting, there's a great Blender tutorial series on YouTube.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Bradgar wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:30 pm
Okay, sorry about the breach of etiquette. I have found cult3d and thingiverse, also a site called 'yeggi' although it seems to just be a site of links and not actual stl's. The issue I am having with thingiverse is I am looking for bits, not entire models. Just the bits I am missing for the models I do own.

Are there any resources available to learn how to make your own STL's? I would like to make copies of the bits I do own for some of the older sculpts that are not supported anymore.
Learning to make your own isn't as simple as "I have one and want to import it into this software with a scanner" or something.
You've got to know how to 3D design things and start from a blank canvas.
If you've got the long months and years to learn how, you'd be fine to learn that way. Probably start with YouTube and watch some videos, then start from there.
Another option some people use is to make molds of their existing bits. Either silicone, or even "push molds." Again, YouTube is a huge resource on how to do those.
Alternatively, you could try searching those sites for the specific bit you're looking for.

You could also post here, in our Bits Only forum and see if anyone has any available.

So, what are you specifically looking for?

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

MagickalMemories wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:27 am
MagickalMemories wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:43 am
Tonight, I start my most ambitions project to date...
Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, by Wicked (who I've begun supporting on Patreon).

It'll be over 40 hours of PRINTING, and over a bottle of resin. And that's only because it's been hollowed!

Eric
FAIL.

Started with one head of the hammer. Supports on a corner didn't print right, and that side of the head came out wonky and messed up. : (
There's about 11 hours and $5 in resin down the drain.

Eric
So, I decided to abandon not only Mjolnir, but any and all large projects for now.
My print plate is convex. I knew this already, but it hadn't caused any major issues. So, I kept on printing. I DID open a ticket with AnyCubic, and they ARE sending a replacement... but Lord knows when THAT will arrive, and I don't want to sit around twiddling my thumbs.
So, I'll stick to smallish things. I think part of the reason for the supports failure might've been that convex plate.

Off I go to fiddle around!

Eric

YoungWolf777 ( 1150 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

That sucks Eric. You could try sanding it down if you're getting a replacement.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Oh, I will be! : )
I want the 2nd, in case I mess this one up... but there's no reason not to TRY to save this one. Right?

I was also thinking about finding a local metal worker/machine shop and asking them to do it. They'll be able to do a better job with their machines than I would by hand!

Eric

YoungWolf777 ( 1150 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

True. Should be easy for them to plane it down level and smooth.
Bradgar ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Bradgar »

Before inserting my foot into my mouth, are we allowed to talk about STLs for non GW files? Say for items they don't have models of?

Say for instance a mycetic spore STL?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

YoungWolf777 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:24 pm
True. Should be easy for them to plane it down level and smooth.
I got my build plate in from AnyCubic.
Sadly, it was ONLY a build plate. I'll have to remove the bracket from my old one and use it. : (

I'll have to see what I can do to get a replacement bracket or have one fashioned somewhere.

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Bradgar wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 pm
Before inserting my foot into my mouth, are we allowed to talk about STLs for non GW files? Say for items they don't have models of?

Say for instance a mycetic spore STL?
Yes.
Aaaaaaand no.

So, for example, you are MORE THAN allowed to look for "counts as" models.
"Hey. Does anyone have any good recommendations for who makes the best non-GW Space Marine proxies?"

You're NOT allowed to specifically look for things that violate copyright.
"Does anyone have an STL of the ForgeWorld Tyranid Harridan?"

So, if you want proxy models, and it's clear that you're not trying to use "coded" language to skate past our rules, you're ABSOLUTELY fine.

Eric

Bradgar ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Bradgar »

Okay, thanks for the guidance, this is weird but I have just gotten access to a printer so it is good to learn the etiquette at the beginning of my journey.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Bradgar wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:14 pm
Okay, thanks for the guidance, this is weird but I have just gotten access to a printer so it is good to learn the etiquette at the beginning of my journey.
Frankly, it's the beginning of the journey (on Bartertown, at least) for all of us. BT's never really delved into the area of 3D prints or trading 3D related stuff. So, aside from the obvious stuff about copyright infringement, it's all new around here.

Eric

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”