1099-K threshold is lowered to $600 in 2022

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

bbb ( 92 )
BTown Regular

1099-K threshold is lowered to $600 in 2022

Post by bbb »

USA tax law stuff... yay...

So, I just became aware of something that will probably impact a lot of us and I'm starting to look into the ramifications, but I'm wondering if anyone else has already done some research.

Currently for companies like ebay or paypal to generate a form 1099-K someone would have to do $20,000+ in gross sales AND 200+ transactions in the year. Starting in 2022 those numbers will change to $600+ in gross sales for any number of transactions.

Given the cost of selling armies, a lot of us will find ourselves with a form 1099-K that needs to be addressed when we go to file our taxes for 2022. From what I've read it shouldn't necessarily mean you'll need to pay taxes on the 1099-K amount (selling at a loss?), but I think you need to address it somehow.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: 1099-K threshold is lowered to $600 in 2022

Post by MagickalMemories »

Well, I don't know about the change to the $ amount, but I have a friend who decided to clean out his (immense and display-level painted) collection of armies.
He hit the limit near the end of 2020, and hit it again in Feb or March of this year, so he stopped.
He COULD sell more, but doesn't want the 1099-K.

I did a quick Google search on it. Here's an eBay community thread:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/W ... p/31684572

At least one person makes a point that "hobby" sales won't be impacted.
However, if you're selling in excess of $20k a year in used models, it'll be difficult to convince the government that it's TRULY just a hobby.
I'd wager that you can see a lot of leniency for sales that don't get gross.

I think B-Town needs a new tagline:
Bartertown
"Where we don't issue you a 1099-k."

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

That's actually how I brought my business to true business status.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
bbb ( 92 )
BTown Regular

Post by bbb »

Is being a true business worth the hassle of more complicated taxes?
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

bbb wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 am
Is being a true business worth the hassle of more complicated taxes?
Yes and no. If you're going to do the business and increase sales, you're going to have to pay the taxes. That being said, it isn't that much more complicated up to a certain level. Up until 2022, I've just used Quickbooks Self Employed and it's fine.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”