Is stripping worth it?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

Is stripping worth it?

Post by Condottiero Magno »

Nothing to do with pursuing a career as a Chippendale... :wink:

I just sold the last of my new Citadel plastic horses, leaving the ones in various stages of assembly, either by my hand or acquired with other figures, and I'd like to sell them. Would immersion in Simple Green and cleaning be worth it? The new ones I offered at $3.00/horse and thinking $2.00 each for the used ones and $1.50/$1.75 for ones I can't dissemble, due to the adhesive used, or a broken tail. I'm not into fleecebaying, so would these prices be acceptable?

I'm referring to the now discontinued armoured and un-armoured horses:

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Re: Is stripping worth it?

Post by wsott1970 »

Oh, crap I forgot about getting back with you.... Sorry! Send me some pics of what you have left.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Condottiero Magno wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:19 am
Nothing to do with pursuing a career as a Chippendale....
Dam you. Stole my joke before I even had a chance..........
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

For plastic, I use Purple Power. You can leave the minis in it for weeks, if need be.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

wsott1970 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:59 pm
Oh, crap I forgot about getting back with you.... Sorry! Send me some pics of what you have left.
No worries...

I'm used to enquiries going nowhere and after a week, I assume the potential buyer lost interest/changed their mind for a variety of reasons - never sure whether to follow up, as I don't want to appear as a pushy salesman. :lol:

I don't have any pics ATM, as I haven't had to time to look through the collection and decide if stripping's worth it and the price.
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

jason1977 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:20 pm
Condottiero Magno wrote:
:'( :'( :'(

I was hoping for encouragement from my fellow Bartertownians(?)...

Something like: "Dude, don't sell yourself short, the sky's the limit!"

"Depends on if you could fit all junk in a micro thong!" :roll:
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

kturock wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:20 am
For plastic, I use Purple Power. You can leave the minis in it for weeks, if need be.
Never tried Purple Power. How is it on adhesives? Before Simple Green, I wanted Castrol Super Clean, as it wouldn't harm plastics, unlike Pinesol, but couldn't find it. Purple Power's available at Home Depot, where I purchased a jug of Simple Green, so when it runs out, I could try it. How is the smell compared to Simple Green? Even in a well ventilated room, Pinesol and Das air dry clay, would give me headaches.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I keep it in sealed containers. Old tubberware or gladware or even cheap dollar store containers. It evaporates fast.

I had it break down super glue, off old GW plastic eldar guardians. I had some heavy testors style paint that wouldn't come off with anything. A friend sold them to me cheap because he; a professional painter, couldn't strip them. He used literally everything. I suggest gloves because it will strip you fingers the next day/

I've tried it on finecast. I let some sprues soak for 2 weeks and no damage. Walmart carries it also. 3 gallons for like $10-12. In the automotive department. I use it several times to strip before I dispose of it. Dump it outdoors and it's a weedkiller. Indoors, it's a degreaser, so can break down gunk in drains. Not like liquid plumber, but a cleaner for breaking down slow pipes.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Purple Power is essentially the same as Castrol Super Clean. Works better than Simple Green. I will echo using gloves. It strips the oils from your skin.
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

kturock wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:28 am
I keep it in sealed containers. Old tubberware or gladware or even cheap dollar store containers. It evaporates fast.

I had it break down super glue, off old GW plastic eldar guardians. I had some heavy testors style paint that wouldn't come off with anything. A friend sold them to me cheap because he; a professional painter, couldn't strip them. He used literally everything. I suggest gloves because it will strip you fingers the next day/

I've tried it on finecast. I let some sprues soak for 2 weeks and no damage. Walmart carries it also. 3 gallons for like $10-12. In the automotive department. I use it several times to strip before I dispose of it. Dump it outdoors and it's a weedkiller. Indoors, it's a degreaser, so can break down gunk in drains. Not like liquid plumber, but a cleaner for breaking down slow pipes.
For almost 2 years, :oops: I've kept metal and plastic figures, immersed in Simple Green, in a Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Jaw with Blue Lid, 33-3/4-Ounce --Admin edit - No offsite links to non-Advertisers-- jar - much better than screw top ones. Three gallons for $10-12?!? Cheaper than Home Depot's $7.98 for a gallon, though I don't think I'll 3 gallons. At my current 2nd floor residence, everything's stored in an enclosed balcony/porch, so wouldn't have to deal with the smell on a daily basis.
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

YoungWolf777 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 am
Purple Power is essentially the same as Castrol Super Clean. Works better than Simple Green. I will echo using gloves. It strips the oils from your skin.
Better than SG? I'm sold, but still have half a jug to finish...
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

In regards to your question of if stripping is worth it - I'd say if you have the time and energy to strip painted models, you should do so unless they are at a quality that is above tabletop. Tabletop can be fine at time, but you have to realize that most people look for deals and unless your model's paint job matches their army, they will need to put the time and energy into stripping the models themselves. This can usually result in a no-trade if they don't think it's worth it

By you stripping the model, you destroy that scenario and give the buyer more of a reason to trade, since they don't have to put in the work themselves.

Not saying ALL traders hate stripping, so you may get some who will take anything and do it themselves, but if you want to broaden your trader pool, then definitely strip them.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

It is always sweat equity... I won't do it on non-metals.... I find that I can saturated metal in more and more concentrated amounts of acetate and only have to do any serious tooth brush action on some... You can (almost) never make back the effort expended... and as such I only do it for things I want.

I also have space for vats of acetone... and that in and of itself is dangerious.

At any given time I may have 100-200 metals going through the process.

Sean
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Condottiero Magno wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:13 am
jason1977 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:20 pm
Condottiero Magno wrote:
:'( :'( :'(

I was hoping for encouragement from my fellow Bartertownians(?)...

Something like: "Dude, don't sell yourself short, the sky's the limit!"

"Depends on if you could fit all junk in a micro thong!" :roll:
Encouragement from this group?? Nope:
Star-Wars-move-along.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

jason1977 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:23 pm
Encouragement from this group?? Nope

Did I do it right?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”