(Angry Lin) THIS. Is. Bullsh!t.

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

(Angry Lin) THIS. Is. Bullsh!t.

Post by Linrandir »

https://boingboing.net/2019/03/25/the-s ... files.html
Julio writes, "Sons of the Singularity is a small RPG publisher. Last year, they kickstarted The Sassoon Files, a sourcebook for the popular Call of Cthulhu RPG and Trail of Cthulhu RPG. As a lot of publishers, theydid the printing in China. The same day that the print was finished, a Chinese Government decided that it was "problematic", so they burned the entire print run. Targeting foreign publications is a first, specially when it seems there wasn't anything problematic (the supplement was based on Shanghai but was respetful and documented carefully). Will this be a new sign of Beijing tightening its iron grip or just a show of bravado with a small publisher used as an example?"

Don't want to seem alarmist here, but perhaps giving a veto over the vast majority of the world's manufacturing, media reproduction, printing, etc to the Chinese state might just turn out to be problematic in terms of free expression.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... ts/2455655
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: (Angry Lin) THIS. Is. Bullsh!t.

Post by MagickalMemories »

Welcome to China.
Can I light that for you?
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

China has advantages and disadvantages... must be factored into the risk factor when you use them for anything.
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

Sure. Who would've thought "Chinese censors burning my books" would have to be included in risk calculus?
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Yeah, I kind of agree... but I guess now I add that to my list too...

My point was that it isn't America... and we should be very careful about any non-US based production... I have seen this bite one of the largest corps in America when the started out-sourcing the *edit* out of their workforce (which I had the pleasure of managing - my fair share not the whole company)... I wouldn't say China was a major issue but I would say that some of the 3rd world nations (to which they outsourced) were horrible... and India has always been a nightmare (their culture is not compatible with ours - only my opinion but it was formed over almost 30 years of working with and managing 'professionals' from India [located in India]).

People like cheap things but these can be unstable areas... and paying people to do things when you do not visually inspect them can cause serious issues.

I am sorry about your book... I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't...

I will use globalization... but I am so not in favor of it... I have been on the receiving end too many times... but I don't set the way things should be (sadly).

Sean
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

That sounds very familiar...a large computer company, perhaps?

Oh, no need to apologize at all! You're absolutely right that there are no guarantees when it comes to foreign-based production, and people frequently make bad longer-term choices when tempted with "Save Money Now." I mean...Caterpillar the construction equipment company got screwed by China, right up until Chinese "quality control" caught up to the knockoff bulldozers, etc. that they were selling for less than Caterpillar.
It is presently a requirement to do business with a Chinese company that a company has to share its IP with the Chinese government. Consider the long term ramifications of that.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I couldn't even answer that question for legal reasons... and that speaks volumes.

"It is presently a requirement to do business with a Chinese company that a company has to share its IP with the Chinese government. Consider the long term ramifications of that."
->I am only too well aware...

I am not anti-China at all... and I really like the people (enough to be working on my Mandarin(s) a bit just to converse)... but no comment on the Chinese corporations (or ours for that matter)... and all governments are by definition corporations as well.

Sean

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”