Need some more RPG advice

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Need some more RPG advice

Post by starslayer »

Mordheim is a great game but requires significant time, money, preparation. Buy the rulebooks, terrain & miniatures. Assemble & paint them. And its best with two players at a time IMHO. Is the starter Mordheim box even available any more?
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

No. Mordheim is LONG out of print. Stupid GW...

I would agree with you about the price, but I have accumulated quite a stack of Pathfinder books. :oops:

I would still start with downloading a free copy of Labyrinth Lord (I like the Companion version better). Look through it and if you like it, print out a couple of copies (it's pretty printer friendly). If not, then I would try either the Pathfinder or D&D beginner boxes.

Do the new D&D board games (Legend of Drizzt, Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon) have leveling up? They look like clones of Descent, but I haven't taken a closer look at them.

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Silly question:
Are you sure that you guys want a ROLE PLAYING game?
Well, not sure really. :lol:
In fact, a lot of what you mentioned could be handled with miniature battle games.
This might be a much better option. I would just play FB with them, but they don't want that. The guys that I am playing with just want a game where you can have a character, level up, have a small band and fight (Together, or against each other). So, this might be a better idea.

Adunaphel, you say it's out of print, is there anywhere you know where they still sell whatever I would need for this game? Just curious, because if I can't get the rules or anything, then I need to find something else. Thanks!

Chris
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

Oh. Now you did it. I had to go to GW's website (haven't done that in a long, long time).
You can still purchase Mordheim warbands and the rulebook straight from GW. They no longer have the nice boxed set with two warbands and a bunch of scenery in it. That is long gone and probably pretty expensive if you find it anywhere.
I don't know how many independent retailers still sell Mordheim. You might have trouble finding anybody other than GW.

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Oh, ok. Well at least they have the rules. Do you think I could make due with FB models? Thanks!

Chris
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Yes. You could, really, use any models you want.
Heck, I knew a guy that used a VOR model, back when the game first came out.

When I played Mordheim initially, I bought my son a Clanrats box set and myself an Empire set (militia?). We just built out warbands out of these.
Mordheim Resources

In this section you'll find some great Mordheim resources that are free for you to download and use. The first six articles in the list below contain everything you need to play Mordheim, including the rules, warband lists, a few extra official articles and the latest Rules Review patch. Following that we have Empire in Flames, an official Mordheim supplement that presents rules for playing in the dangerous wilderness that surrounds the cursed city. We've also included some useful roster sheets and a great Mordheim Primer that's perfect introduction for new players.
How about a free download of the rules?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... Id=5300009

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Oh that's great! Looking at the models on GW, I think FB will work great. : ) Haha, free is always good! Maybe I will take the rules to the guys, after I have read them, and give them a over view of the game and see if they like it. The only problem is if they do I have to get terrain. :lol: Thanks!

Chris
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

what they want is really, I hate to say it, is D&D 4e..it's mmo on paper.

The SW test drive rules are simple and the adventure that comes with is geared to new players, saying what needs to be rolled and when.

If they just want to hack & slash, without a story, alot of the old school rpg's were that way, especially the pre-printed dungeons. old school as in the 80's. I mean monsters and cretures just sitting in rooms, behind doors waiting to be killed.

Mordheim is basiccly gang warfare in the GW fantasy world. Mordheim's rulebook used to be free online, now I don't see it. BFG & Warmaster are still there.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

It's still there, kt. The link I posted goes to it....and to think, before today, I was going to buy it because I want to use a small portion of it but didn't want to torrent it. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”