anyone here played "Song of Blades and Heroes"?

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

jeremy28648822 ( 78 )
Journeyman Trader

anyone here played "Song of Blades and Heroes"?

Post by jeremy28648822 »

I stumbled on this game a few years ago and I love it. It's a fantasy skirmish game that's made to use whatever minis you have lying around. It even has a formula to determine the point cost of a model given its stats and abilities. I was sold on it when I saw a demo force made up of ice goblins, polar bears, and giant rabid penguins. I've got a Robin Hood and his merry men force and a force of My Little Pony figures, while a friend plays goblins, dwarves, and an army of homies from the little vending machines.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: anyone here played "Song of Blades and Heroes"?

Post by MagickalMemories »

That is messed up and hilarious, both at the same time.
Is there a sci-fi version of these rules?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
jeremy28648822 ( 78 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by jeremy28648822 »

Yes, it's called "Mutants and Death Ray Guns", but I don't care much for it; all the abilities are randomly rolled for instead of bought. It makes it hard to do a theme. That was a version from 5 or so years ago however, so there may be a newer one out.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Is there something that would keep you from just picking what you want, rather than rolling? Are some abilities too OOP?
I have a bunch of post-apocalyptic models, and I wouldn't mind having a quick & easy "beer and pretzels" system to use to skirmish with them.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
jeremy28648822 ( 78 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by jeremy28648822 »

Not sure, it would require some playtesting. Fortunately the rules are cheap, like $8 or so to download.
Song of Blades has a pretty robust list of abilities to choose from, I don't see any reason why it couldn't work for a sci-fi setting as well if desired.
jeremy28648822 ( 78 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by jeremy28648822 »

Here's a link to their free Song of Blades warband calculator, it has all the abilities listed so you can just click the ones you want and put in the stats and it tells you how much they cost. It doesn't have ability descriptions, but you get the idea.

http://www.ganeshagames.net/army_builde ... v1217.html
landwehr ( 36 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by landwehr »

I play it with my kids using 20mm fantasy animals from the Redwall series (think mice with spears and squirrels with bows, fighting against the evil rat pirates). Our take is that it's quick and easy learn the basic rules, but the optional rules (some in expansions) provide for a lot of variety of terrain, settings, and troop types. Play moves fast and it's fun. The only downside is that the variable control rules mean there is a possibility of being "stuck' for a while as the other player does several things, which can be frustrating for kids especially.

I don't know about the post-apocolyptic ones, but the Blades and Heroes version has point cost for all the abilities, so I just design themed warbands the way I want them and balance out the two sides.
jeremy28648822 ( 78 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by jeremy28648822 »

Yeah, it's pretty easy to do themed warbands with Song of Blades. I've got the rules made for the original X-Men, I just need to get the appropriate Hero Clix figures.

Where did you find Redwall minis? That's awesome.
landwehr ( 36 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by landwehr »

Splintered Light Miniatures (am I allowed to post a link since they're not advertisers? Anyway you can google it). In their 20mm "Woodland Warriors" line they have all the different species you need, plus a lot of fun character/civilian types.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

There was the "Song of Splintered Lands" book that has stats for the SLM range and a neat campaign in there. I like the range but favor I guess the more traditional line of 20mm races he has http://imp522adventuresinminiatures.blo ... label/20mm
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
jeremy28648822 ( 78 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by jeremy28648822 »

That is awesome. I need to spend some money there.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”