Paint Scheme

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

kalamire ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Paint Scheme

Post by kalamire »

So I am getting back into Khador and I am looking for a different type of paint scheme. I am wanting to try a faded and burnt look. Meaning I would like to base my jacks in a solid metal colour, then go over with a faded red to illustrate age and war effects. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about this?
Lower rating you trade first.
If I have the higher rating and I'm buying you still ship 1st. 9 year member no negative feedback if you can't trust that, then I can't buy from you.
Offers stand for 48 hours after that if no communication has passed all trades are null and void.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Paint Scheme

Post by MagickalMemories »

Actually, exactly like you said.
Paint them metallic first, then go back and paint them red. Leave plenty of metal spots showing through.
Highlight the red up with a couple successively brighter shades of red.
When you're done, go over it all with a coat or two of GW's badab Black or Devlan Mud wash (or whatever equivalent the kids are using these days LOL), to suit your preference. I often use both (D-Mud first, followed by selective use of B-Black).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

what i did with my ork trukks to look worn, is to paint them with flats and then use washes to make them look worn. use a wash of reds and browns.. rust is more brown than red.. even ad some black.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
TimeLapse ( 62 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TimeLapse »

I went for a battle warn look for my Dwarfs as well,

1st I base coat with a dark red,
2nd I stippled bright orange over the red
3rd I dry brushed gun metal over that making the red and orange fade in the background
4th I then dry brushed a lighter silver over that

I then painted the color parts,
1st I painted dark green leaving the edges to look warn
2nd I dry brushed a lighter green over the dark green only leaving the edges faded

I chose an off white as my 2nd color and painted over areas leaving once again the metal edges.

Sorry about the darkness of the photos used my phone for my camera, But here is the finished model.

Here is a few more shoots of more models painted this way

Here that dark red base coat I used

And that model fully painted

I would sub the greens with red paint and it would work well for you, it seems like allot of steps but once you get into the grove it paints up really fast, this army took me about 15-20 hours to paint it so it can be done at a fast speed.
"Its easier to forget yourself when life seem so much more important then self consideration."
-Andrew Haught -Hey I quoted myself. go figure.

Check out my gaming blog here http://wftlw.blogspot.com/
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Well one detail you may try if you're feeling up to it is try drilling out the barrels on that gatling gun to add extra detail. I'ts something ive read about in a few older modeling books.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

WE used to drill out Bolguns barrels and the side vent/exhaust holes with pin drills.
JohnBlackhawk wrote:Well one detail you may try if you're feeling up to it is try drilling out the barrels on that gatling gun to add extra detail. I'ts something ive read about in a few older modeling books.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

what i'm kinda confused on though is the drill bits for these "hobby drills" ive seen on places like testors.com you get them at any hardware store like any other drill bit?
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Hobby stores. They're called pin drills, usually.
Especially stores that sell trains and wooden models. GW sells them, at about double the price.
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Drill

The bits are the size of paperclips and pins. I have a set of about 10 different sizes.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Hand drills. Pin Drills. Pin vices. I've seenthem under a bunch of different names.
You can get bits for them anywhere that sells dremel drill bits. For REALLY small bits, you'll have a better time getting them in feebay than anywhere locally, and you can get them in GREAT quantities.
I pin with brass rod. I've bought locally and online. If there's a drill bit in the size, you can get brass rod that size, too.

It's been a while, but I've also used paper clips. I prefer the brass because it's easier on my clippers and canbe found in more universal sizes, as opposed to whatever thickness of metal that particular brand of clip is made in.

(Paper clips are FAR easier to store, though. LOL)

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

I know a gent that uses guitar strings for his pinning.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Guitar strings?
For me, the idea is to have a solid piece holding the pieces of model together. The flexible nature of guitar strings makes me wonder why he uses them.

Eric

JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Yea i'm trying to figure out that whole guitar string thing myself, but only thing i can figure is giving you flexibility on the angle you drill but that depends how tensile the guitar string is.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

MagickalMemories wrote:It's been a while, but I've also used paper clips. I prefer the brass because it's easier on my clippers and canbe found in more universal sizes, as opposed to whatever thickness of metal that particular brand of clip is made in.
I use paperclips--and a second set of cheap but very durable hardware store sidecutters to trim them.

I bought 1000 or so identical paper clips and sized my pin vise bit to the paper clips. It lives in the box with them.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

My wife sews and always has bent pins, common/straight and safety pins. I have several different cutters to use on them.
I also use the scrap from pop rivits. They're a little thicker and since they're aluminum, easier to cut.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”