Dungeon thoughts

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Dungeon thoughts

Post by MagickalMemories »

Okay, folks. I'm having a mental block here and could use some assistance.

I've got a mid-level party in 2e AD&D (rule set doesn't matter for this, really, though). The party is deep underground (not quite "underdark") and heading back up.

My world has no dragons. They're long gone from the world.

The adventure background for this encounter is that there's a very poswerful warrior band of goblins that discovered an ancient dragon trove. They've been siphoning it off, buying top of the line gear, paying for training, kicking the crap out of things that would've been a close fight for them otherwise.
I'm using Orog stats for these guys, modified VERY slightly.

Needless to say, the party's going to be a bit surprised at how tough they are.
The party will come into an entryway for a main caver & have to descend to the floor. From above, they will be assaulted by gobbos on flying insects.
I've also got a hard-@ss "chief," a tough Ogre mercenery & a 6th level shaman.

From the main room, there are 4 ways out.
1) if they can get to them, there are exits in the ceiling to the warrens where the insect riders live and stick to themselves.
2) Straight ahead, there will be the "living quarters" that will also have a VERY concealed path from the Chief's quarters to the old Dragon's cavers
3) To one side will be the lair of some giant spiders. The shaman semi-controls them via a magic item.
4) *I DO NOT KNOW*
I'm not sure what else I want to add here.

I thought about making a small mine there, since goblins are known miners... but these guys are up to their elbows in wealth. They don't need to toil in mines.

I thought about a training area, but they wouldn't have anything so formal.

Any thoughts?
I'm looking for a natural cavern type area. Something that could co-exist with goblins.

I know it's a game, but I'm looking for "serious" here. Nothing goofy.

I'm thinking about a fungi-farm, perhaps. Somewhere that they might supplement their food stores. Could be a couple of "monster" type fungi quarding the area (shriekers, spore cloud emitting mushrooms, other?).

Instead -or also- there could ba a small "livestock" area which could be guarded my a big nasty dog-like creature (don't know - dire wolf? Something else?) that attacks and non-goblin entering or something.

Thanks for looking.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
wookieegunner ( 66 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Dungeon thoughts

Post by wookieegunner »

There may be a slave pit of "Training partners". Depending on the party it might throw a bit of a wrinkle to have to rescue a bunch of people.
Some kind of common area. I'm picturing general purpose, used for training, weapon/armor maintance, eating, etc.
Do they keep extra armor and weapons around? If so, where.
Does the Shaman have some form of Shrine set up? If so where is that? If they are militaristic enough to pay for training, they might have an honor guard posted at the Shrine.
By trading with me you agree that all signature based trade rules are not in force. If it isn't in the PM thread then it doesn't apply.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Good thoughts, Wookie:
There may be a slave pit of "Training partners". Depending on the party it might throw a bit of a wrinkle to have to rescue a bunch of people.
Unfortunately, these guys (the group) are (a) WAY underground and (b) ALWAYS look at "prisoners" as people not to be trusted. The group just doesn't like to free prisoners and, since it's OUR game, I just try to avoid it.

As for the goblins, they get their experience raiding and fighting. Running into a small raiding party is what (I hope) will draw their attention towards the warrens. Also, I'm hoping for another combat(esque) encounter, rather than *just* dungeon dressing (the group likes their fights. lol).

Some kind of common area. I'm picturing general purpose, used for training, weapon/armor maintance, eating, etc.
Do they keep extra armor and weapons around? If so, where.
The huge cavern that the party first enters is the common room.
Imagine a semi-natural cavern, over 80' high in the center and about 150' at it's widest. Kind of a rounded off trapezoid, with the entrance set in the center of the longest wall... but on a kind of natural platform that's 50' up, so that they're looking down at the floor of the cavern. A 5' wide semicircular stair winds down to the floor.
That "floor" is the common area.

The center path leads to the individual, smaller caves which each house 4 goblins.
warrens.jpg

There is no extra weaponry barring -probably- a smallish supply of arrows for their light crossbows. They tend to buy what they need and they sell off the spoils from their raids (there's a non-traditional drow city not too far away via a portal). The only treasure the party will take away will be any gear they swipe from the goblins (weapons & armor), which is of high quality with a good resale value, the coinage the gobbos are carrying individually, magic items from the chief, Ogre Merc & shaman... and if they find the entrance to the abandoned Dragon trove, they'll get the coinage remains there (and a semi-artifact that is actually not too powerful). Treasure-wise, it's an old fashioned treasure trove (none of that pesky statuary, artwork, etc. lol).

Does the Shaman have some form of Shrine set up? If so where is that? If they are militaristic enough to pay for training, they might have an honor guard posted at the Shrine.
This isn't a village. The chieftan won't stand for any of that stuff. The priest is powerful because of the chief's leadership. He puts up with the shaman's proselytizing to appease the shaman's Goddess but, aside from that, he doesn't have patience for a shrine. The Goddess is one of my own creation and, frankly, that suits her fine. She's a very minor deity; the more powerful her priesthood is, the better it is for her. So, she's good with it. The goblins, in general, already venerate her as their racial deity anyway, so...

The Shaman will have his own honor guard, of course, but they'll just be a contingent of normal (for this encounter) goblins. Only the chieftan gets an honor guard of the toughest warriors (and mercenery). There will be 1 lieutenant for every 15 or so gobbos and 4 extra for the chief.

Thanks for the input. You've really got me thinking.

MORE!!!! lol

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
bmir73 ( 24 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by bmir73 »

Perhaps they are being trained by drow from a lower ruling house for the money and items to eventually boost their own power. Just an idea!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

We are actually nearing the end of this encounter.
The party has them on the run. The majority of the goblins are dead and the Chieftain, the Shaman and a hired Ogre bodyguard are all that remain.

...as far as the party knows.

Can't get into more details. A couple members of my group are BTown members, now. Don't wanna go giving away secrets. lol

Eric

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”