overwhelmed by combos

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

overwhelmed by combos

Post by spiralingcadaver »

So... I quit 40k for a long time, got back, got distracted and stopped playing for most of 7th until nowish, am trying to get back in, but building lists just feels like it's getting completely nuts. The number of formations is completely crazy, even within one army, then there are detachments, and now GW's started putting out crazy free upgrades like the LE super gunner or LE power fist sergeant, where you're getting a bunch of gear for free, without even the cost of a formation's restrictions.

How are people playing the game? Is this stuff that people pay attention to, or what? I don't really care about the competitive scene since I've no intention on approaching it, but what are clubs or local groups like now?
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: overwhelmed by combos

Post by pretre »

If you don't care about the competitive scene, it isn't a big deal. Just sit down with your opponent pre-game and have him explain anything you don't recognize.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

spiralingcadaver wrote:I don't really care about the competitive scene since I've no intention on approaching it, but what are clubs or local groups like now?
pretre hit the nail on the head; to quote Meatloaf, I couldn't have said it better myself!

The tournament scene is gross. Last one I went to, I saw two identical Space Marine armies that consisted entirely of bikes (no doubt with kitted-out chapter masters) backup up by Thunderfire cannons. Now, this is coming from a life-long Blood Angels player who expects to be at the bottom of the rankings at every tournament that the Sisters of Battle don't show up to, but I go to play, have fun, and look more handsome than the other armies (something I have achieved the last four games I played!) doing it.

Think about your army collection, and the models in it, and how you used to remember them fondly, then find a formation that will allow you to re-create that, and then use it - simple as that. It's no accident that the Combined Arms Detachment looks a lot like a Space Marine Battle Company!

Wow... Bartertown sure is picky about what kind of attachments are allowed! No matter! Here's a big Excel spreadsheet full of ideas for 7th Edition Blood Angels armies, some of which I have actually used.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Okay, so, outside tournament style, it's more a matter of taking a bit in the way what you'd like? Is there a general rule of thumb, like 1-2 formations are considered friendly?

And yeah, I'm mostly just doing what feels fitting for the army, I'm a firm believer that 40k isn't balanced properly for hyper-competitive play
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

spiralingcadaver wrote:Okay, so, outside tournament style, it's more a matter of taking a bit in the way what you'd like? Is there a general rule of thumb, like 1-2 formations are considered friendly?

And yeah, I'm mostly just doing what feels fitting for the army, I'm a firm believer that 40k isn't balanced properly for hyper-competitive play
It's really up to the players you're with. Best to ask them. 1-3 is pretty friendly.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

I stopped playing 40k and just do Horus Heresy gaming.

It got much better.
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

40k stopped being fun when every opponent showed up with 6 books, 2 internet data slats and 3 armies to play with (3 armies in one I should say). If there ever was a system in need of a rules excising this would be it.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Even in Basic tourney play, the new rules are redic. Where people can add and add more and more war gear and characters to one army just to have several types of armor saves and such. Necrons running around with 3+ 3+ and feel no pain. and still regenerate to boot. WAAAAY over the top.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”