TRADE REFERENCE

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

UrbinoPrince ( 30 )
Journeyman Trader

TRADE REFERENCE

Post by UrbinoPrince »

BASIC QUESTIONS:
1. Does each reference = a credit or score on my increasing status to a higher level?
2. What happens if the other side does not give a reference?
3. Can I contact the board to contact the other side if he does not (apparently) want to give me a reference?
4. Can trade references be deleted or altered by the donor?
5. If I the buyer paid and was satisfied with what he received, what is the buyer's recourse if the seller does not give a reference?
6. What triggers the increase in scores? When does the score increase?
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Re: TRADE REFERENCE

Post by Plarz »

Answers:
1. For ITL score, it is: Positive = +2, Neutral = +0, Negative = -5. The user titles do have an algorithm, but I honestly forget what they are. I think it's tied to post count? I can find out if you really want to know.

2. Nothing, they are not obligated to do so. You can always send a DM and ask them to leave a Ref, but there is no rule that says they must.

3. Sure, but there's nothing we can do, really. Users are not compelled or required to leave a reference. Check Rule #11 (Section 5). Best we could do is send them an email on your behalf.

4. No, only admins can alter, edit, or remove trade refs, and we don't do that lightly, or often.

5. Again, nothing. They are not obligated to leave a ref.

Check out the Good/Bad Traders forum, and the guidelines there. Also, read the rules. (Not trying to be an ass here, but a lot of these answers are fully detailed there)

6. Once the ref is fully submitted (there is a confirmation screen people often forget to click through) the points change is instant. If you see the ref in the list, the points have been added/deducted. Since the math is consistent, you can always check your score vs the number of refs of a given type. If you believe there has been an error, please let me know.

EDIT: formatting, clarity on answer to #1, links for #5
EDIT #2: Better answer for #5
UrbinoPrince wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:55 pm
BASIC QUESTIONS:
1. Does each reference = a credit or score on my increasing status to a higher level?
2. What happens if the other side does not give a reference?
3. Can I contact the board to contact the other side if he does not (apparently) want to give me a reference?
4. Can trade references be deleted or altered by the donor?
5. If I the buyer paid and was satisfied with what he received, what is the buyer's recourse if the seller does not give a reference?
6. What triggers the increase in scores? When does the score increase?
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
UrbinoPrince ( 30 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by UrbinoPrince »

Touche and thanks to both of you. Except for the scoring I guessed as much. WE both should be satisfied that we obtained what we actually negotiated for. To then ask that the other party submit trade references, when they possibly felt bruised by the process, is possibly a little too much.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Negative refs used to be -10. Has that changed?
Granted, I've missed a bit in the last year or 2.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

They've been -5 for as long as I've been maintaining the system.
MagickalMemories wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:43 pm
Negative refs used to be -10. Has that changed?
Granted, I've missed a bit in the last year or 2.

Eric
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Just as a note:

If you include it in your trading terms, then that is different. If you both agree that after the trade is done, you will leave a reference, and that it is part of the agreement of trade, then yes they are obligated to do so.

Apart from that, Plarz sums it up nicely.

Take a look at this post for other helpful tips: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=261260

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
UrbinoPrince ( 30 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by UrbinoPrince »

Now who is playing the lawyer? I would like to make some sort of silly/sarcastic comeback, but I really think that all the Bartetown people are great and take a lot of unnecessary guff. I also really think the advice above is very sensible, practical and bears re-reading by everyone.

Yes, don't assume everything. Re-check terms and rules. Make sure that the other party not only agrees to whatever terms you think that you are accepting, but actually understands any term or agreement that may have two meanings.

Thanks again, guys! It has been fun exploring this issue. BTW, the other guy that incidentally triggered this thread gave me a nice TR.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”