2019 Bartertown Members Painting Challenge Poll

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

What scoring system do we want to go by for 2019 Painting Challenge?

Old Scoring System
11%
New Scoring System
89%

Total votes: 9

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

2019 Bartertown Members Painting Challenge Poll

Post by 3eland »

Let us know what scoring system you prefer!

OLD:
Here is the info on the points:

Regular infantry, 6mm inf./vehicle stands, 15mm inf. = 1pt.
Ogres, Ogrun, Trolls, terminators, Light Warjacks, 15mm Cavalry, 6mm large vehicles, defensiveline = 2pts.
Cavalry, Bikers, 15mm tanks = 3pts
Heavy Warjacks, Manticores, Hellpit Abominations, Smallish Vehicles, carnifexes, 15mm Big Stuff, bastion = 5pts.
Medium Vehicle (Leman Russ, Eldar Falcon, Tau Devilfish, etc...) = 6 points
Large Vehicles (Land Raiders, Valkyries, Trygon, WM War Engines) = 8pts.
Very Large Model ( Baneblade, imperial knight, etc...)= 10pts
Really HUGE Stuff (Titan, Stompa, etc...) = case by case

Models must be fully painted and based to count for points.

Concerning the bases, over on the LAF forum in the painting challenge, they have this:

"All figures must be mounted on finished bases, which may be textured, painted (with a pattern or in a solid, finished single color) or consist of clear plastic (such as "flying" bases or clear acrylic/perspex shapes)."
NEW:
Painting.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: 2019 Bartertown Members Painting Challenge Poll

Post by Boskie43 »

Couple issues with the list as is - I don't necessarily have a "perfect" answer or way to change them - but I feel they need looked at. Point breaks primarily but also total points of some of those.

1. The difference between "elite infantry" and "infantry".

Even more so the examples used. Chaos Warriors have no more overall detail on them then a space marine with his belt/holster/extra bits added on that people keep off on occasion. I have a full Khorne army in both Fantasy (rank and file) and Sigmar - and most of them honestly were significantly easier to paint then the Marines I've done.

2, The Point differential between "Infantry" and "Small Vehicles"

Not that I expect anyone to game the system. From experience, painting a squad of Marines takes a significantly longer time then a single Rhino troop transport. I'd also wager pretty heavily anyone who has painted a skaven army has spent more time on 10 stormvermin/clan rats then 1/2 the 40k community has ever spent on Rhinos as a general rule.

3. Medium Vehicles and Monsters

My main game is Warmahordes. More then 1/2 the "Large" based beasts and heavy warjacks are as big or bigger then a carnifex. And again - A reasonably well painted landspeeder has a ton more going on with peeps inside then a single warbeast. The point differential just seems over the top.

4. Chariots - character variants as separated vs Large Vehicles vs Large Monster/characters.

These really IMO aught to almost all be the same. This gives WAY to much wiggle room other then just allowing KT/whoevever to be the final arbiter when arguing what points you should get. Lay a few of the characters/monsters sideways and certain chariots end up being as large if not larger painting areas as well as more diverse colorization generally with steeds/chariot/individuals on said chariots. The Khador Siege Chariot/Carriage is virtually the same size as a Mortarch when laid on their side.

Then you run into the issue as a prime example of what I just posted that apparently restarted the discussion on the points. The only difference between a character/hero chariot and a "normal" chariot for the Iron Hills ends up being the model in the lone position up top. And I actually made it into the character variant - not for points obviously - because I thought it looked nicer with the guy in charge having a cape. Otherwise the chariot stays the exact same. Much like putting Warrior Characters on chariots - the only difference being the model in focus over the steeds.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if you think that's to much or trying to be to aggressive! Just stating my thoughts on it!
Otherwise an update on the system isn't a bad idea. I just believe this can be looked at more in depth.
George B
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Well the new system isn't 100% flushed out yet. It was something I threw together quick for the contest.

If we go with the new scoring route, we can flush out specifics as a whole. So keep those ideas and we can all touch base on them :)

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Well it's got a 6:1 ratio. It appears since no one else has voted; we can call it closed.

Time to flesh out the rest of the points; so I can go back to scoring them.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

Return to “Creative Endeavors”