Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Constructive discussion on 2018 Painting Contest points

Post by MagickalMemories »

So, here we are.
Discuss away.

Here are the current points:
Regular infantry, 6mm inf./vehicle stands, 15mm inf. = 1pt.
Ogres, Ogrun, Trolls, terminators, Light Warjacks, 15mm Cavalry, 6mm large vehicles, defensive line = 2pts.
Cavalry, Bikers, 15mm tanks = 3pts
Heavy Warjacks, Manticores, Hellpit Abominations, Smallish Vehicles, carnifexes, 15mm Big Stuff, bastion = 5pts.
Medium Vehicle (Leman Russ, Eldar Falcon, Tau Devilfish, etc...) = 6 points
Large Vehicles (Land Raiders, Valkyries, Trygon, WM War Engines) = 8pts.
Very Large Model ( Baneblade, imperial knight, etc...)= 10pts
Really HUGE Stuff (Titan, Stompa, etc...) = case by case
My suggestion is to have 3 categories of base:
Simple
Standard
Complicated

You have a 40mm base with 3 or 4 scarabs on it? That qualifies as simple (unless you've done some CRAZY cool painting and/or base work on it)
Your standard Terminator or the like? That's standard.
Some resin 40K model that comes in a dozen parts with crazy small detail on it? Probably Complicated. A Standard model with an 'above and beyond" paint job would elevate to complicated, as well.

Then, multiple the points accordingly.

Simple = x.5 points
Standard = standard points
Complicated = x1.5 (or x2?) points

This allows us to keep the current point system in place that we all know, but allows each category to be altered accordingly.
Also, I think anything coming on a 32 mm base now should be counted the same as a 26mm base. In most cases, the models are the same (or similar) to their predecessors.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Constructive discussion on 2018 Painting Contest points

Post by spiralingcadaver »

The whole starting place of 1 point per... {15mm grunt on a 7mm base through 35mm hero on a display, but <40mm base} as the smallest unit used is not very flexible, and unfortunately anything that involves subjectivity seems to be a problem even when there's nothing at stake so a system around that seems like a poor starting point, too, especially when quality can decide score.

Honestly, the only reason I participated was because of any sense of community, not because I felt the scoring was fair. :-|
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Like I've pointed out several times. It should also go by models size, not base size.
CSM Terminatiors. I have 50+. They are all the old metal models on the old 25mm bases. They are bigger than standard, normal CSM or SM. Yet tehy get the same points.
Larger models should also get more points, depending on the complexity. Look at the Knights; Imperial vs Eldar. They get more than a Land Raider, but if you put super detail in the model, or the opposite if you just build and pant them plain; the points don't seem fair.

I painted Necrons a couple years back. The basic models are Primer/base coat and details and done. I felt that wasn't fair compared to others so I Primered, basecoated, washed detailed, drybrused and more details. About the same if not a slight bit more than marines.

The building contest uses the same points as the painting contest. I feel that should also be changed. The new starter sets have had almost snap tight models. Maybe 3-4 pieces to put together. Same for some of the models I've built for the board game. Compare them to most of the resin/finecast models that are 8-12 pieces. All are 1 point. Look at the Sterngaurd models. About a dozen parts. And that doesn't even cover converting or modifying the model with different parts, extra bits or putty.

What about magnetizing? Not only do you build more pieces, but you paint more pieces. I know I have several extra arms and weapons for my giant. Those are the same size as an infantry model.
Knights do also.
How are we going to figure points for building and painting those extra parts?

Just throwing ideas out for discussion. I think Eric's idea is a good start, but I thing the categories are a bit limited.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I am in no way married to the idea I put forth. I just didn't want to start out the thread without having SOMETHING constructive in there.
Any ideas you guys have for scoring, toss it out here.
As for magnetizing, etc, kt... that's not really applicable for this thread. This one's about painting.

In the end, painting extra bits to swap out on models might just be a "good for you" endeavor. I mean, it's difficult enough to get a scoring guide on individual models; trying to decide points for bits seems daunting and beyond the scope of what this contest was created for.

Just a thought. I'm all ears.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

My point was/is, that the building contest pretty much clones the painting rules and points.

Some things will have to be worked out for painting and not building. Others vice versa. Converting a model and using putty is more of a build than paint issue.
Using terrain on bases is one or the other. It probably should be building.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

1pt per model regardless of size :lol:

I mean this is just for fun right, so to me it dosent really matter. I just use the thread as a motivator to get off my but and paint something.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

It's been over 7 months and no answers. The basics of the painting contest are used for the building contest.

Both need to be revised.

akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

1pt per millimeter of height, base to highest part of model, works for terrain or minis. Works for painting/building contests
1pt per magnet involved in model
Makes it easy :D
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

akum wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 am
1pt per millimeter of height, base to highest part of model, works for terrain or minis. Works for painting/building contests
Just shoot me now!
LOL

Eric

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I plan on crushing you all this year anyway so you all might as well not bother showing up ;)
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

We decide on any changes? Going to start up a post for 2018 painting if so.

R
~Ryan~

akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 am
akum wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 am
Just shoot me now!
LOL

Eric

Lol, im serious, makes everything really easy :D just need a ruler :D
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Any volunteers to track the new thread before I do 'er up?

R
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Put up this year's painting challenge. If we decide to change anything, I will addendum the rules and alter points to match.

R
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Same or the building contest.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”