Back to 40K after skipping all year. GS Cult trial list - 2k

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Back to 40K after skipping all year. GS Cult trial list - 2k

Post by MagickalMemories »

Meant to be a HtH list with shooting potential.
Haven't put together an army in FOREVER.
First attempt.
Be nice. LOL

2000 points (clocks in at 2002. we're lenient enough for the extra 2 in my group)

Cult Insurrection Detachment (Pg 66)
The First Curse Formation (Pg 90)
Patriarch
-Lvl 2
Genestealers x 20
Lord of the Cult
Acolyte Iconward
Icon/Cult Ascendant
The Doting Throng Formation (Pg 92)
Magus
-Lvl2, 2x familiars & Crouchling

Neophytes (a) x 10
2 Mining Laser
2 Grenade Launchers
5 Shotguns
Cult Icon
Neophyte Leader
Chainsword & Bolt pistol
Goliath truck

Neophytes (b) x 10
2 Mining Laser
2 Grenade Launchers
5 Shotguns
Cult Icon
Neophyte Leader
Chainsword & Bolt pistol
Goliath truck

Neophytes (c) x 10
2 Mining Laser
2 Grenade Launchers
5 Shotguns
Cult Icon
Neophyte Leader
Chainsword & Bolt pistol
Goliath truck

Acolyte Hybrids & Leader (10)
Goliath Truck
Hand Flamer (3)
Heavy Rock Drill x2
Cult Icon
Lash Whip & Bonesword

Acolyte Hybrids & Leader (8)
Goliath Truck
Hand Flamer (3)
Heavy Rock Drill x2
Cult Icon
Lash Whip & Bonesword
(Magus and Iconward from this Detachment hitch a ride here, which fills the truck)
Separate from the Detachment above:
The First Curse Formation (Pg 90)
Patriarch
-Lvl 2
Genestealers x 20
He deploys with the 2nd Patriarch
Acolyte Iconward
Icon/Cult Ascendant
This gives me a meager 6 points in the Psychic phase, and a total of 7 rolls on whichever charts I select.
Likely, all spells will come from the Broodmind, in hopes for some nice powers on the chart, but I can also see Biomancy calling my name! As I'll keep all rolls on the same chart for each individual psyker, I can expect to have a total of 10 powers (Free Primaris each).

I know the 30 Neophytes are kind of weak, but my opponent should have more to worry about with 40 Genestealers and 2 Patriarchs running down his throat (especially with 1 having a beefed up Iconward), not to mention the 18 Acolytes, Magus & second Iconward rolling in! LOL
This is 93 models, excluding the 5 Trucks (and familiars).
Thoughts?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: Back to 40K after skipping all year. GS Cult trial list

Post by 3eland »

My biggest question is how does the codex look? Are they as good as GW is making them out to believe?

That's a good set of models and Psychic power though.

I'm just posting to follow this thread really as I am interested in seeing the comments. I have noooo clue what I am talking about so I'll just continue on here writing nothing but jibberish nonsense that you are probably still reading and wondering "why am I still reading?" Yup, here you go again reading nothing but jibberish.

Interested in seeing the thoughts of others!

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

It's a horde army, which is what GW seems to be going towards now.
They're a mix of super-weak to above average. As with many other armies, their HtH abilities are nominal, and the Goliath truck has a rule that is CLEARLY intended to stop Genestealers from getting off "Rhino Rush" style attacks... It's open topped, but 'Stealers and patriarchs can't ride in it. There is NO such limitation on the Rock Crushers or Chimeras, though.
What's odd is that, of all of these, the Truck is the one that 'Stealers and 9especially) patriarchs would have the easiest time embarking into!

I'm not super impressed, tbh. Shooting armies are going to decimate them if they don't take allies... but they have nothing better than Allies of Convenience (Nids and IG)... it's been a long time. I might've used the wrong term.

The lack of psychic power is annoying, as well. Two psykers in the whole codex, and neither can get above level 2. No flyers and barely any Anti-aircraft (Neophytes can but a HW Team that can pay to upgrade the missiles to AA missiles).

Frankly, I think it'll end up being a 2nd to 3rd tier codex. I've loved the models since before I even played 40K, though, so...
In the end, I might end up doing what I was planning on before I found out there was a GSC codex coming out... proxying them for IG.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I'm a little behind on GSC, but are you taking the formations that give you multiple rolls on the hide and strike table?
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Off the top of my head, I don't recall which bonuses I get for these.
Don't have the codex handy.
Some of the formations were just formations that didn't appeal to me, though.

Eric

leth ( 352 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by leth »

They are CC god mode army. They have 8 point models that get rending attacks, can assault on the first turn after being deployed inches away. Look at the Purestrain formation, combined with an alpha for 3 rolls on the table you can get genestealers assaulting turn 1 that have stealth and shrouded
USA

My prices/trades are just estimates, I do not know the going rate. If you want to know sooner, send me a offer.

Just started my painting blog. To keep myself painting mostly
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

How can they assault turn 1?

They get to ignore the normals rules of 40k?

Do they get grenades/fleshhooks? Because that would be gross.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

That's why I was asking. Their formation rules make them pretty awesome.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Some details...
My army is NOT a Detachment. I screwed a couple things up and have to go back to the drawing board.
Here are some "Take aways" from my thread on Dakka:

-Missed that the Doting Throng was not Core. Poo.
--Checked the Iconward to make sure he listed no exclusions for who he can hoin... forgot to check 'Stealers. (He can't join the 2nd Patriarch & Stealers))
---I had a "Brood Brother" sentinal in here to (I thought) meet the minimum, then forgot and removed him for the 2nd Iconward.

I'll have to do some tweaking and come back to this. I definitely want to be able to run the detachment for the "Numbers beyond" special rule.
I can probably ditch the Iconward, pare down the Throng and squeeze a cavalcade out of it to meet the minimums.

To answer things directly in this thread:
They are CC god mode army.
They are universally 5+. They will drop like flies to the most basic of shooting attacks. Even HtH. Only the Stealers are better... and not much. They're also 5+ I save.
I wouldn't call them God Mode.. I wouldn't even call them "Pope" mode.
How can they assault turn 1?
Special rules can allow you to deploy via Infiltration VERY close, depending on the die roll. The closest is "more than 6" inched. If they roll a 6 on the chart when coming in from reserves, they can set up within 3" AND assault.
Oh... and there's a formation or something that allows you to use the "Cult Ambush" rule (that is what the Special Rule is) during first turn deployment, IIRC.
Do they get grenades/fleshhooks? Because that would be gross.
The First Curse gets a d6 roll. The Stealers get one of the following (in order)
F Hooks
Hardened Carapace
Toxin Glands
Adrenal Sacs
Feeder Tendrils
"Perfect Killing Machine" (players choice of above)

I'll have to tweak the army and return!

Eric

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

"Haven't put together an army in FOREVER.
First attempt.
Be nice. LOL"

Put the glue on the models, not the fingers.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

kturock wrote:
Put the glue on the models, not the fingers.
Or up the nose......
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Celestialpainting ( 34 )
BTown Regular

Post by Celestialpainting »

To MM and all you- I think you would benefit immensely from Miniwargaming's video that pitted the GSC v. Imp Fists.

Essentially most of the GSC's 'god mode' relies heavily on Return to the Shadows. This allows any unit 6" away from any enemy unit to be put into on going reserves. I haven't read the codex personally but this seems to perk up the cult a lot. Then, if you roll something special, you can deploy up to 6" away from opponent. To answer 3land's question about defying the rulebook, it isn't. You are assuming that these models arrive via deep strike when in reality, they pop out of the shadows!

MM- I would recommend putting a Rock grinder in there somewhere. The Front rock grind thing is a beast at Tan Shocking, Ramming, etc. anything to do with smashing into something really. IIRC, it is str. 10, AP 1, Instant Death with some other rules but don't quote me on it. I think you should also consider attaching the iron ward to one patriarch, then at least you have a FNP as well as auto look out sir. Also, add rending claws and lash whips to the patriarch as well. Since they additionally have furious charge, they will usually hit first and not be struck back. Definitely have mass hypnosis in your arsenal. That will really decimate any unit before you even charge them.

Mods- feel free to edit if I have given out too many specific rules, my intention was to broaden the minds and to help MM. Is it normal to type with 4 hands? :-D :-D
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

What you've given here is fine. We don't bow to GW's ominous nature, like some do.
As long as you're not giving full unit stats, points, etc., it's all good.

@Celestial:
Rock Grinder: Too many points. Too little transport capacity. Not Open Topped. The idea is that these guys can run up and assault out of the vehicles if necessary and, if not, can all fire in any direction.
Iconward: No can do. The formation rules require the Patriarch to stay attached to the ,Stealers, and (as I overlooked initially), only a Patriarch can join the 'Stealers.
Patriarch can't get Claws & Whip. Didn't give S.Talons to the 'Stealers because of points.

@kt & jason...
If you're using superglue on your army lists, you're doing it wrong. LOL

Eric

Celestialpainting ( 34 )
BTown Regular

Post by Celestialpainting »

I knew that the patriarch could only join the stealers, doesn't he also get rending claws and furious charge? If you attached the icon ward and patriarch to the stealers, you will be hitting first on most of the assault. Looking back, I meant to say patriarchs unit lol. I agree that rock grinders are not the most ideal, but you should attach one in your detachment to give it an anti-tank/heavy infantry buff. However, I think that it can regenerate blasting charges if you need more Boom!

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”