What Army Got You Into 40k?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

Helix89 ( 166 )
Resident Trader

What Army Got You Into 40k?

Post by Helix89 »

Hey guys! So I was wondering what faction/army most peaked your interest when you initially were starting the 40k hobby. What really looked cool and stood out to you? And if your specific army isn't represented, please let me know or put it under a broader designation, such as the Thousand Sons going under Chaos Space Marines. I only have the current list from GW on there, so let me know if there's something significant I missed. Just a cool thing, and I'm actually doing a statistics project on this for class. Thanks for your responses!

http://strawpoll.me/7014891
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Re: What Army Got You Into 40k?

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Eldar (for cool space tech, I guess? I was pretty young) got me into the game the first time; Astral Claws (FW's more nuanced take marine heresy) got me back in after I'd dropped the game for several years.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
skuller ( 310 )
Bartertown's Bob Ross

Post by skuller »

Eldar Biel tan was my very first selection, never had a lot of units.
but my first army was the dark eldar
No international trades (not including Canada)
BTR rules
lower rates ship first
---------
Hail Hydra!!!
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

The picture inside of Codex: Daemonhunters. The one where a handful of Grey Knights are surrounded by bloodletters and flesh hounds. I saw that and the GW staffer leaned over and said, "Yeah. . .they could win that fight."
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

LOL Turns out that staffer was SOOOO wrong. Heh heh

My first army was Nids. I traded those (here, in fact) for Necrons then, when I saw the GK minis for the Daemonhunters and fell in love, I traded the Necrons (any guesses where?) for GK.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
leth ( 352 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by leth »

Initially it was dark eldar(because that was my half of the starter kit), Then it was bieltan.

Quit Playing for awhile, played a lot of different stuff. However what REALLY got me back into the hobby was my(currently on year 6) deathwatch marine project.
USA

My prices/trades are just estimates, I do not know the going rate. If you want to know sooner, send me a offer.

Just started my painting blog. To keep myself painting mostly
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

MagickalMemories wrote:LOL Turns out that staffer was SOOOO wrong. Heh heh

My first army was Nids. I traded those (here, in fact) for Necrons then, when I saw the GK minis for the Daemonhunters and fell in love, I traded the Necrons (any guesses where?) for GK.

Eric
Back then they could have. With the Inquisitor in the middle and that psychic power where daemons couldn't come within 6". . .

The downside was that they were kind of terrible against literally every other army.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Protection from demons didn't do anything, as I recall, against a Herohammer unit of Khorne berserkers, though. It also didn't keep them from getting shot to Hell and back. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
gpfredette ( 720 )
Bartertown Marshall

Post by gpfredette »

Good day,

The original Sisters of Battle.

Thank you,
Williams, AZ
Home of the Historic Grand Canyon Railroad

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Lower Rating ships/pays first.

My Refs: ref_view.php?user_id=14243
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

MagickalMemories wrote:Protection from demons didn't do anything, as I recall, against a Herohammer unit of Khorne berserkers, though. It also didn't keep them from getting shot to Hell and back. LOL

Eric
Sanctuary. That's the power. Used at the beginning of the turn, doesn't stop until you move, shoot or use another psychic power. No daemons could come within 3". So the Inquisitor pops that bad boy, and the Terminators just sit there and plink away with stormbolter shots.
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

I picked Space Marines. They became Blood Angels when I started painting my RTB-01 beekees red, for no better reason than I had several bottles of red Testors flat enamel paint on hand. Blood Angels didn't even get their own roolz until Second Edition, when Angels of Death was published in 1996.

[ Click to super-size image ]
Last edited by psiekier on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

I started during Rogue Trader, I had those same marines matter of fact. I think they came 36 to a box. I painted mine Grey for the Original Space Wolf colors. Not that blue they do now. But here more people played Epic instead. So I got more into that and traded off my space wolves for MTG cards. Then when 2nd edition came out I bought(and still own) my first codex Angels of Death; the story of Mephiston got me hooked.Then my friend went to England to train for a job and bought us both a copy of the first chaos codex before they were released in the USA. I went full blast playing chaos. Tzeentch and Nightlords. I still have my 2nd edition codexs too.

Peaces 8)
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

squats back in the rogue trader days. then sisters of battle when i picked it back up in 3rd
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
DoggNewTrix ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by DoggNewTrix »

I was a marine guy back in the RT days and I just loved the cover of the book. I went with Crimson Fists but painted em purple for some lost to time reason. I still have those same marines RTB 01 box that I've begun painting in the blood angels colors with a bit of old school Rt era doodads I've managed to not pay a leg for. When I got back into the hobby some years later I fell in love with the Black Templars unaware that both are a Imperial Fists offshoot. Funny that, Shame they got rolled into the Marine book, it upset me to the point I've done not but put Gee dubs at arms length ever since. Oh and 6th edi.....BAM 7th huh?
Lower rating ships first, pays first, or works out a deal that is mutually acceptable to all persons involved.

Don't like my offer, tell me no... I'm all growed up, I can take it.
All offers are good for 24 hours
Gifting a paypal payment is unwise and I won't do it, neither should you....

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning
SeleucusINicator ( 2 )
New Trader

Post by SeleucusINicator »

I just got into playing Warhammer in the last month, and the army that really got my attention was the Adeptus Mechanicus. Besides the lore, which I find immensely interesting, I love the look of the units and play style. They really appeal to me, and I can't wait to start building up my army and crushing my enemies for the Omnissiah.
I share a residence with Xerxes_King_Of_Kings

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”