3eland does hobby stuff! Picture heavy thread of Awesome!

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

3eland does hobby stuff! Picture heavy thread of Awesome!

Post by 3eland »

So I figured I should start myself a hobby thread. Mostly because I spam too many pictures in the Btown painting comp. thread :D. I have been meaning to start a thread for some time now but never really got around to it, but alas, here I am!

This thread will be anything and everything hobby related from painting (both wip and finished) to building to sculpting (if I ever get around to actually sculpting) and maybe even some 3d work! It may be updated daily or it may be updated weekly. It is literally a package of surprise (even to me!)! Take note that I like to spam pictures (and I like to spam words so be prepared for short stories of writing) so this thread will be very picture heavy.

Go make yourself a pot of tea while it loads ;).

Comments, critiques and anything else helpful is always appreciated. One can only grow their painting skills by the help of others.

If you ever see a finished model and I don't have any wip pictures of it but would love to know how I did it (or even pictures of the wip on it) let me know!

I'll start my new thread off with some WIP shots of an Inquisitorial Knight I am working on. I wanted to do a very rusty, banged up look as I wanted to portray that the knight had seen a ton of battles and fought through countless wars with a wide range of weather. This also gave me a chance to play around with new painting techniques and weathering pigments! I modified the knight to give a more damaged/weathered look. Some things included green stuffing patches on areas that I felt the metal would bubble and build up. Therefore some areas don't look very smooth and uniform that a normal knight does for you, this was on purpose lol.

Some background on how I did the body:

Using the airbrush:

1. Primed it black
2. Coated the entire thing in Steel by Vallejo
3. Hit up areas I would like to resemble the body rusting with Rust by Vallejo, Burnt Umber by Vallejo and Pumpkin Orange by Minitaire. The orange should always be on the top of anything you spray and the Burnt Umber should be on the crevices and shadowy areas.
4. Sprayed Armour Wash by Secret Weapon
5. Went over any high points or areas I thought could use some shine with steel (I did this sparingly and very light)

The end result (note the body is not glued on yet, as it would make the rust step incredibly difficult):

I do not have pictures of the rust process as the pigments are really messy and trying to take pictures covered in pigment was a no-no for me lol. However I shall list my steps and materials:

First I made my own mix of rust. I wanted an aged looking rust so wanted it more dark then bright. Obviously any result can be achieved. My exact mix (if you really really wanted to have the same) is:

70% Brown Iron Oxide by Vallejo Pigments
20% Standard Rust by Flames of War Pigments
5% Track Brown by Flames of War Pigments
5% Gun Metal by Flames of War Pigments

I then airbrushed ethanol on the model so the pigment had something to adhere to and then bunched it on heavily in any areas I wanted the rust to be. The reason I did ethanol before was because I kept watching videos where the person did not have anything on the model for the pigment to stick to and so half of the pigment would fall off - This, to me, seemed very counter productive. I placed a sheet underneath so I could put anything that fell off back into my pot as obviously even though there was an undercoating not all would stick. Once I was happy with what I put on, I then airbrushed more ethanol (except make sure you put the PSI down low otherwise you are just going to blow it all off!) on and made sure it was soaked. Once it was dry, I took the Standard Rust from Flames of War Pigments and applied it straight to areas that needed some lighter touches since the pigment was a lot brighter than the mix I had created. I then took the ethanol and with a brush, soaked the pigment rather than airbrushed (since I did not want to soften the other parts of the model I had already sprayed.

Now, I put the pigment almost everywhere on the model, so when it all dried it looked like a robot of rust. This was good and, if you were to follow the way I did it, don't freak when you see a mess (LOL)!

When the model was dry, I took a hard, short bristled brush and "dry brushed" any area that shouldn't have rust or cleaned up areas that should. I then took a flat edged brush with ethanol and again brushed every area but the areas I wanted to have the most rust. Since ethanol softens the paint, it took it down to the plastic in some spots and the black primer in others. This at first seems bad but don't stress! Once I was happy with the result, I sprayed the Armour Wash by Secret Weapon over EVERYTHING. Even the pigment. Then, once dry, I again sparingly and lightly sprayed the Steel colour in areas that I wanted it to be brighter. If you accidentally do too much no worries! Simply spray Armour Wash over it (lightly) to help darken it back up.

The end result was this (take note when I took the pictures for this step I had already proceeded to hit accents with Gold by Vallejo and hit the rivets and anything else that needed a shine with Chain mail by Citadel - Also you will see a shin pad that I will explain alter):

Once the body was all rusted to my satisfaction, I began hitting accents with Gold by Vallejo and rivets with Chain mail by Citadel (as shown in the previous pictures).

Then, I started to work on the Armour Plates. Make sure if you ever paint a Knight, you do not assemble the armour plates! It makes it incredibly difficult to do anything.

The process of how I prepared the plate is as follows:

1. Primed it black
2. Using Burnt Umber, I went over the armour plate but not enough that the brown is too strong. You want the colour to be there but not be too powerful.
3. I then hit the centre of the armour with Bone White by Vallejo. I tried to ensure that I left an outline of the dark brown on the outside.
4. Went over the outside with Burnt Umber by Vallejo. Since I had left an area on the outside, when I did this it got brighter when it hit the edges of the white but then stayed darker on the outside. Since it was not black [the outside], the brown got more brown and gave a nice transition to the brown on the Bone White. This is why I did not go too heavy on the initial step [step 2].

Once that was done, I started to do damage and weathering of the armour. Since I was testing things out I didn't apply any decals which for what I ended up doing did not matter but any armour plate that I complete from now on I will be placing the decal first. Just makes it easier as you don't have to go back and blend the damage.

Doing damage and weathering is easy. Everyone has their own way of doing it but since I enjoy talking (well typing in this case) I shall bore you with how I did it.

When creating dents or large chunks first apply black. This is so you can determine how large you want. Once that is done apply your highlight on the bottom of the black. Try to keep it thin but mistakes are okay at this point. Once that is done simply take a dark metal or brown (or both as I tend to do at times, using Dryad Bark by Citadel) and fill in the centre. Leave an edging of black on the top and an edging of white on the bottom. This creates a 3 dimensional look with such ease.

When creating weathering or to show paint starting to rub away, take a sponge from a blister or a short bristled brush and gentle dab on Rust by Vallejo (or any rust looking colour you have). Then proceed to do it again with Boltgun by Citadel (or any dark metal you may have). Finally you can take Pumpkin Orange by Minitaire (or any orange colour you have) and very sparingly hit it with orange. Remembering however that there should be very little orange as you don't want to show too much of a rust look. You want it to look like it has started to "pepper" its way to that stage.

There are other ways of doing this, one with hairspray and another with a weathering fluid that many companies create. Since I have not actually purchased any yet (which I will be for sure) I decided to do it the sponge method.

You can also use a brush and do some damage in the corners since they would also be affected due to the surface and how water/grime/whatever would collect in the crevices.

lastly, you can do simple scratches by taking the dark metal and the dark brown and doing simple strokes across. Try to keep them random though.

This is the outcome of the process. Remember to keep it random as weather is never uniform in nature!

When you are happy with the result, make a glaze (or take a wash) of a dark brown and simply brush it on. Then, take a wet brush and brush the wash from the top down, taking OFF the wash/glaze. Not the entire thing of course, you want enough on it to "stain" the entire piece. This will help pop out the details and make the colours uniform.

Next is decals! Now like I had said before, it is usually easier to do them first but as I was testing things out I didn't bother putting decals on since if I had to start over it would be a waste of decal!

With decals, you want to have them fit the look of the model. Since the Knight was heavily rusted and battle-worn, I wanted the decals to fit the look. Fresh, full decals would not do! So, I cut out my decal, as close to the decal as I could (you want maximum flexibility and you don't want any of the blank material as it can cause issues later on). Then, I took a hobby knife and scuffed the decal up. make sure you are gentle when you do this as you want to scuff it not tear it! Then, simply use water or decal fluid and pop your decal on!

****SOME decals may be better to be put on AFTER you do the damage. Like in the case of the ones I did, it worked well as it hid any imperfections and being so simple of design, blended into the damage/weathering quite well. You will have to use your own judgement for this process****

This is the end result (note I did not blend the damage in at this point, it was simply some pics to show the decal on the armour - I blend it later though!):

Here is the current stage of where the Knight is at. I sealed the body with a Matte Sealant (Krylon Low Odour Clear Finish Matte from Walmart) so as to ensure the pigment was secured. I also have started assembling pieces of the armour plates onto the body. As you can see from the picture, I have to battle-up the crotch plate but that is simple to do when it is on the model. It also prevents me from forgetting what side is up when doing dents (LOL). Also pictured is the weapons for the Knight as well as the rest of the armour plates. I have completely magnetized it for maximum play.

Hopefully you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed typing it!

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Re: 3eland does hobby stuff! Picture heavy thread of Awesome

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Cool technique on the decals- never knew you could do that one. I'll need to try that out!

Also, you and your airbrush and your titan, reminding me of the big projects I haven't faced, grumble, mumble...
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Thanks spiraling!

Yeah the way gw has made their decals, you can chip away the image as it has been pressed or printed on whatever decal material is called. This allows you to modify it as long as you are gentle.

Helps when you are doing a battered look.

An airbrush really makes things easy man lol. If a person can get one (understandably it is an expensive investment) then I reccomend it for sure.

Buy some of the heavy artistic paper and just practise on that until you feel comfortable with models. Then take a test model and paint it until you get the hand of things.

Ryan
~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

I've got an airbrush, I just had enough trouble with the damn thing clogging that it frustrated me enough that I've only gotten some rudimentary experience with it :/

Just trying to work up to trying it after a break.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

What paints do you use and what needle size is it? Although I have only been airbrushing since Januaryish I have learned a lot.
~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

I have a few airbrush paints, some vallejo, some from art stores or w/e. IDK how to gauge needle size, though...
-Nietzsche

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

It should tell you on the box.
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Apologies for the lack of updates! I pulled my right arm and wasn't able to hold a paint brush for 2 weeks :(

I am back to painting, although not as much as I would like. Still very sore so not trying to push it.

I have some updates on the Knight though! Got all the armour done minus battle damage and decals. The gold is looking good!

Apologies for the lighting!

Not much of an update but still pretty good considering how little I can actually dedicate to it at the moment.
~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Lookin' good! A little confused, though- thought the darker areas were grime in the recesses, but the trim-less areas are still darker on the outside- is it just a color scheme like that, or are you planning on something more?
-Nietzsche

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Aye I have a plan ;)

Can't spoil any secrets but you shall see the end result as soon as I can dedicate more time on the painting.

Good crits tho, as you are correct in that [normally] that would be the case.

Ryan
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

No Knight pics since I haven't had time to take any update pics but here is a Stompa I am working on. I love the model. It is so... stuntily cute, if that is a word (if not, coined!). Just need to finish the arms and the rear smoke stacks and it'll be done (and glue in the light). Oh and maybe some pigmenting, not as much as the knight lol, just targeted maybe. I don't actually have Orks anymore so he will either sit on my display shelf or be sent off to that auction site people like to go to.

Let me know what you think!

~Ryan~

hapotte ( 514 )
Millenium Trader

Post by hapotte »

Very good aitbrush skill, you make me want to pick one up :)

Could you take a picture of the stompa with a knight? I'm curious to see the size diference.
info about shipping: Lower ratting pays/ship first and I live in Canada.
thank you
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

hapotte wrote:Very good aitbrush skill, you make me want to pick one up :)

Could you take a picture of the stompa with a knight? I'm curious to see the size diference.
Sure! Give me two shakes of a cameras angle ;)
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I'm currently working on the Knight base so it actually works for a true size comparison since they are both flat on the table lol. Sorry for the bad lighting.

~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Huh... hadn't expected that big of a size difference. Still think stompas look goofy as all get out, though...
-Nietzsche

Return to “Creative Endeavors”