the_trader AKA Joe Bartle - Involved Parties Discussion

A Special Place for people who have been Banned from Bartertown for egregious violations of the rules.
Permission is required to post here.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Taking action on the-trader - Involved Parties Discussion

Post by MagickalMemories »

Okay, folks.

I've heard back from one of my UK based contacts. Here's what I have for you, so far:
Eric's Contact wrote:Well I have established that there is a Lynda P Bartle at the address you gave, and according to directory enquiries, her phone number is unlisted. The option open at the moment, I could send a letter (snail mail) addressed to Mrs Bartle (so as not to be intersepted by Joseph) informing her of his activities and the serious nature of the situation. I have called the top 3 UK directory services and they all confirmed the name and address, but cannot devuldge the phone number.

If you like, I can contact a solicitor (lawyer) friend I have here and get some advice as to what course of action can be taken? If that sounds good to you let me know...
I've requested that he sends the letter, giving MY email address as an initial contact. Why MY email? Because I'm site "staff," and I will be able to add legitimacy to your claim. I could have used a Mod or Admin's email address, but I didn't want to drag one of them into it (and WHO KNOWS when they'd have gotten around to seeing it LOL). Once/if I hear from her, I'll be passing contact off to you, Norseman.

I've also asked him to see what info he can get from his lawyer friend on how the UK legal system would handle this interesting case.

The guy I quoted above is a BTown member in the UK. He's established here, and I've done deals with him myself. I trust him, and I trust his judgment. Hopefully, his efforts will pan out. I'm not naming him because (a) I don't want to drag him into the middle of it and have his PM box get swamped just for doing a good deed or three, (b) I asked him to do this as a favor and never said I would pubicly name him (and he never said I could) and (c) - most importantly - It seems really cool and James Bond-ish that I have a "secret contact" or "agent in the field" who reports to only me, in secret, under the dark night of a new moon.

Okay... I made that last part -about the moon- up. We communicate via PM, and I don't know what the sky's like over there.

I maintain that it makes me cooler, though, to have secret contacts that I do not divulge.

Eric Wessels, Internet Gangster

Oh, yeah, baby! I like the sound of that. :mrgreen: :lol: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
BrooklynMike ( 22 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by BrooklynMike »

Thanks again for pushing this forward. I was feeling a bit of sympathy for the_trader for a minute there, but his apparent "playing" of the community by contacting one then the other has evaporated even that shallow pool of good will.

Do we now have to officially append "Internet Gangster" or "IG" to all subsequent communication with you? :]
Brian Thacker ( 92 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Brian Thacker »

Eric,
Sounds great to me. Thanks goes out to James Bond!! Norseman, to clarify, all of us should make a report of our separate claims to http:/www.econsumer.gov/.

Thanks again,
Brian
lordnorth ( 36 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by lordnorth »

Eric - thanks for pointing me to the latest discussion. Keep us apprised if anything develops

Norseman - sent you a PM to add myself to the unfortunate list.

BrooklynMike and Brian Thacker - I recently had great transactions with both of you and I am sad to see you drawn into this mess too.

Joy.

E.J.
Email: Lordnorth(at)yahoo(dot)com
TrooperPX ( 104 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TrooperPX »

I haven't read through all of this and don't know if this is new info or not...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joseph Bartle
31 Raglan Street
Hull, Yorkshire HU5
England
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rls=c ... 1&ct=title

School in the area:

Churches in the area:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not sure what else I can contribute, but I'm really touched (almost emotional) how we've all come together to deal with this unfortunate event. Thank you all.

Yours,
David Ramsay
(a.k.a TrooperPX... who is embarrassed to admit he lost a lot more than the claimed amount.)
Let me turn your original sculpt into an army!
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=87597
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

TrooperPX wrote:Not sure what else I can contribute, but I'm really touched (almost emotional) how we've all come together to deal with this unfortunate event. Thank you all.
Pansy.

TrooperPX wrote:Yours,
David Ramsay
(a.k.a TrooperPX... who is embarrassed to admit he lost a lot more than the claimed amount.)
Wait. Are you saying you lost more than the amounts everyone else is claiming THEY lost, or more than you're admitting it?
if it's more than you're admitting to... Dude, you've gotta 'fess up.
Lying about it will hurt your case in any legal sense that might come about AND invalidate your BTR, since you're lying in it.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Sorry i was out of the loop for a few days...i got really sick and to top it all off my internet at home went down GRRRR!!! I am at work now but will try a few more numbers at lunch. So far have had no luck.

I think the Snail mail from a lawyer addressed to Lynda would be a great idea.

I do agree with Legion that Joesph knows exactly what he is doing. This is a plan to fraud people out of money. This is intentional theft. It is planned and executed with a high degree of skill. Lots of contact until the money clears, then nothing. We are betting alot that his mother doesn't know and would be appauled when she finds out. But we should ready ourselves that she doesnt care or is a willing participant as well. I am of the mindset that she doesnt know but I am just putting out there on the table that we need a contingency plan if she doesnt make everything alright.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

I would propose...(and this is thinking out loud)

Plan A

Aquire Lynda Bartle's Phone number.
Failing that send a snail mail(possibly lawyer) to here detailing the happenings, or send someone to his house, to tell her.

Plan A.1 Result
She is Apaulled and fixes everything.

Plan A.2 Result
She doesnt care and blows us off.
Goto Plan B

Plan A.3 Result
She s unavailable and is not contacted.
Goto Plan B

Plan B
Contact Hull local police. ( i may do this before hand)
Advise of theft, and ask for advice on course of action.

Thier advice would probably help us on how exactly to handle this. Because of the dollar value I think this would probably actually be of interest to them. I asked a few of my police friends and they said they would act on this if contacted. Canadian law is very similar to British.

Possible goto Plan C

Plan C
Contact Lawyer
Send letter - Notice of inpending action. See how it flys.
May cost about $100-$200. I may be able to get ot for free from my father's lawyer buddy. I will ask I have to visit him on another matter anyways. (I am suing someone else right now. lol. Ya I am a prick)

Plan C.1 Result
Everything is fixed they release the money.

Plan C.2 Result
They do not release money.
Small Claims court
Sue them for the amount we are out.
This would require a UK Representative, a little cash, for filing papers. This would be cheaper if a Btown Member from the UK would be willing to stand for us.

Would it be worth it yes.
I know I would personally pay my $70 out to sue Joesph.

What does everyone else think. The $1000 we are out would definetly be enough to higher a lawyer to sue Joesph.

Contact
Last edited by Norseman on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Looks like we found out where all the money went...

I will be contacting these vendors and see if I can get any information out of them.

Feedback / Item From / Price Date/Time
Great buyer, fast payment. Seller: pathwinder14 ( 304) 30-Nov-08 14:42
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 26_fvi%3D1

OOP Nicely Painted Armorcast Warhound Titan (#200271241688) 29-Nov-08 18:16
Warhammer 40K Space Marines Marine Old Rhino (#270299659959) 28-Nov-08 13:33
-- -- Private 28-Nov-08 12:20
SPACE MARINE PREDATOR SPONSON SIDE PLATE. 1995. OOP (#250292955801)28-Nov-08 12:20
SPACE MARINE PREDATOR SPONSON PLATE B. 1995. OOP (#250292955724) 28-Nov-08 12:20
SPACE MARINE PREDATOR SPONSON PLATE A. OOP (#250274124754) 26-Nov-08 14:04
Warhammer space marines x 67 & spare parts (#250323413422) 22-Nov-08 10:22
OOP LEGION OF THE DAMNED & SPACE MARINES 21 FIGURES (#170276576752) 21-Nov-08 17:10
IMPERIAL SPACE MARINES --PLASTIC KIT --BNIB (#230306636204) 20-Nov-08 18:52
Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader SPACE MARINE vintage fig (3) (#170277708111) 20-Nov-08 18:52
Warhammer 40K RT - SPACE MARINE with PISTOL & SWORD (#170277707969) 20-Nov-08 18:51
Warhammer 40K RT - SPACE MARINE with MISSILE LAUNCHER (#170277707830) 20-Nov-08 18:51
Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader SPACE MARINE vintage fig (2) (#170277707675) 20-Nov-08 18:51
Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader SPACE MARINE vintage figure (#170277707552) 20-Nov-08 18:51
Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader SPACE MARINE - HEAVY LASER (#170277707370) 19-Nov-08 08:45
Imperial Space Marines (#380079816226) 16-Nov-08 19:20
collection of vintage warhammer space marines + others (#140279557372) 12-Nov-08 18:06
Warhammer WH40K Rhino Predator Tank (#330283344590) 11-Nov-08 05:12
Space Marines (14 x) OLD 1st or 2nd Edition Models 40K (#360102106518) 10-Nov-08 12:57
Warhammer VAMPIRE COUNTS BLACK COACH nib (#280254380879) 08-Nov-08 15:57
Warhammer 40k Space Marines Annihilator Predator Tank (#270294727485) 31-Oct-08 11:18
Vampire Counts Undead Wraith -Free UK P&P NEW (#390002045267) 22-Oct-08 23:37
UNDEAD BANSHEE BLISTER (NEW) FREE P+P UK (#150292800264) 15-Oct-08 16:23
Warhammer 40K old metal Necron Destroyer unpainted (#300258694464) 15-Oct-08 16:23
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I contacted the guy that he bought the warhound from asking him to proceed with caution.

I also called
Games Workshop - Hull
30 Paragon Street
Hull
East Yorkshire
HU1 3ND

Store Manager
Richard XXXXXXXX
Telephone
01482 589576

Big shout out to Jdubb for finding the number...

I explained the situation.
Gave them the website address.
I gave them my email and they said they would ask around, for information on him.
Also mentioned about the warhound titan which I am sure will draw ALOT of attention.

I will also call back later to see if I can get someone else on the phone that may know him, and to check if they have heard anything.
TrooperPX ( 104 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TrooperPX »

Two deals totaling $580.

PM'd details to Norseman and MM. I have all correspondence on file when needed.

(I'm not a pansy... :wink: I just felt pretty crappy and helpless with little or no hope, till I found this thread where real efforts have been made. Taken advantage of, then being verbally beaten up by whats-his-name on the board, just wasn't a good time. So not knowing what I can do to help (or help myself), yes, I appreciate the efforts going forward and can/will do whatever is needed to see/pursue justice for everyone scammed.)
Let me turn your original sculpt into an army!
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=87597
Valhallansurfer ( 62 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Valhallansurfer »

This may be useful: http://www.humberside.police.uk/contact-us/
This is apparently the PD with jurisdiction for Joseph Bartle's area, based on what we know.
There is an online non-emergency crime reporting form that is linked.

I think a call asking for advice and information would be helpful. After that....I wonder if it would make a difference if we all filed one of these?
http://www.humberside.police.uk/contact ... g-a-crime/
It seems to be mainly for residents..I wonder if they would consider ours.

TrooperPX, that really sucks. You have my sympathies. You certainly don't have to feel bad here...after all, we are all particiating in this thread because he took us too!

Jason
flagg07 ( 232 )
Resident Trader

Post by flagg07 »

I'd advise every single one of you who wants action taken by his PD to fill out the paperwork or call the PD individually. Each separate incident will add weight to the incident... totality of the circumstances.

It might be worthwhile to devise a form letter, adding in your personal details and contact info. Be sure to put in the basics of who, what, when, where, how and, if applicable, why. Take into consideration that the people who receive your complaints are completely ignorant of the hobby. Your letter should "paint a picture" to them of exactly what transpired, from start to finish. The less info you give initially, the less serious they may take it.

From experience, a person making a report and citing "other people" does not go the same way multiple people reporting similar incidents do. Keep on it and don't just do something. Do EVERYTHING you can to make things right. Good luck to all of you.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I called the Humberside Police...

They took a police report. I gave them all my information and told them of the scope of the hiest. They were VERY interested. It is being assigned an officer and he will be contacting me in the next few days.

ACTION REQUIRED PLEASE READ

Please msg me with all your real names and addresses. also I need to know how much you paid exactly, as well as means of payment.

They will add your info to mine and if you call will create multiple reports.

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Last edited by Norseman on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Norseman wrote:Looks like we found out where all the money went...

So, how did you manage to find this info? I mean, it's easy enough, once you know his Ebay handle... but how did you find that?

Nice work.

Eric

@Trooper.... man. You're out a bundle.
I hope you guys get him.

jdubb ( 104 )
BTown Regular

Post by jdubb »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Norseman wrote:Looks like we found out where all the money went...
So, how did you manage to find this info? I mean, it's easy enough, once you know his Ebay handle... but how did you find that?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=76837#p146163

I found it in here and sent it to Norseman. It was buried in some PMs setting up this trade.
Last edited by jdubb on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Btown Trader Refs: ref_view.php?user_id=11976

Return to “The Hall of Shame”