Disofkhaine - Backout

They're not Bad Traders per se but they are REALLY annoying. Tell us about them here. READ THE RULES.

Moderator: Moderators

darkjedilaw ( 376 )
Resident Trader

Disofkhaine - Backout

Post by darkjedilaw »

Hate doing this, but considering I thought we had a deal and I haven't heard a peep, I feel I am left with no other option.

Re: W:Old empire wizard and others H:bunches
Sent at: February 4th, 2009, 2:10 pm
by darkjedilaw
Aw you need a Valten of foot.

I have one, NIB and I'm interested in what Space Amrines you might have.

Subject: W:Old empire wizard and others H:bunches
disofkhaine wrote:Ok, I need an old empire bright wizard. The metal one from last edition with the staff and sword in the air and flames going down his shoulders and head.
I also need some NEW milita, huntsmen, greatswords
I could use a Valten on foot

I have some Space Marines, Chaos Space marines infact alot of slaanesh stuff including marines with sonic blasters
I have some Dark Elves left over, some Chaos(all new style) and some vampire counts.

PM me if you have interst

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent at: February 4th, 2009, 9:36 pm
by disofkhaine
Multiple Tac squads
Devestators
Dreadnaught
5 Vanguard marines
5 strenguard marines

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent at: February 4th, 2009, 11:55 pm
by darkjedilaw
I would be interested in your vanguard or the dread. Is the dread AoBR?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent at: February 5th, 2009, 11:12 pm
by disofkhaine
regular edition

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent at: February 5th, 2009, 11:14 pm
by darkjedilaw
Would you be interested in a swap for the vanguard or dread then?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent at: February 7th, 2009, 10:17 am
by disofkhaine
darkjedilaw wrote:Would you be interested in a swap for the vanguard or dread then?

id prolly do the vanguard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent at: February 7th, 2009, 11:45 am
by darkjedilaw
Fair enough.

My address is
DJ Law
XXXXX
XXXXXXX

disofkhaine wrote:
darkjedilaw wrote:Would you be interested in a swap for the vanguard or dread then?

id prolly do the vanguard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent at: February 12th, 2009, 5:13 pm
by darkjedilaw
I'm just curious, are we still on for this trade? I haven't heard any news. If you have shipped, please ignore and I;ll just keep my eyes out for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know he is in reciept of the message from the 12th. Honestly, a simple "you know, I think, I'll pass" wouldn't have even generated this report on my behalf. Situations change, life changes, and I can accept that. What I can't accept is offering out a trade then dead silence. Thankfully, I have built my rep up here enough that it is seldom that I feel I need to ship first.
This game is the Parchisi of my people.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Disofkhaine - Backout

Post by MagickalMemories »

Gotta tell ya... He's guilty of some things... using the vulgarity "prolly" instead of "probably," being one of them (Sorry. Pet peeve). I don't think he's guilty of a back out. He only said he'd PROBABLY do it, not that he'd definitely do it.

I'm going to see what the rest of the staff thinks. I might just be too literal.

*IF* we decide it isn't a backout, I'm not going to *ding* you for it, though. I can see where you'd think that, if you weren't reading it as literal as I was.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
darkjedilaw ( 376 )
Resident Trader

Post by darkjedilaw »

Fair enough.

With this one, I assumed his "probably" was a confirmation considering how "verbose" he had been in the previous correspondence.

If it isn't a backout, then it isn't a backout and just piss poor communication.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

darkjedilaw wrote:Fair enough.

With this one, I assumed his "probably" was a confirmation considering how "verbose" he had been in the previous correspondence.
Understood... and ONE of the reasons you wouldn't get a *ding* for it.

darkjedilaw wrote:If it isn't a backout, then it isn't a backout and just piss poor communication.

A-freaking-greed.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

I don't think it is a backout.. admittedly neither one of you said "Deal!" but since it was a probably, and he never acknowledged your address.. so.. I plump for Poor Communications.

-Porkuslime
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

i'd call it a backout.. he didn't deal.. but he didn't say anything.

he just stopped replying....not even a 'sorry no longer interested' or 'sorry got a better deal.'

hey mm.. i use prolly all the time..'specially since i type like i talk...bro'. ;-)
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

I'm in the 'not a back out' boat.

Lousy communication, too.

Also, I'd like to see standardized trade forms on this site so we don't have to argue what is and isn't a back out all the time. :( Both parties fill out the trade form and in so doing, the trade is finalized. No questions.
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

kturock wrote:hey mm.. i use prolly all the time..'specially since i type like i talk...bro'. ;-)
Heh heh

You talk in lower case letters. : )

I absolutely cannot STAND that "word." It grates me almost as much as sagging pants.

Eric

JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Wow, that is *NOT* a backout.

Where did he say that he agreed to trade? Where did he say that he agreed to send first? Where did he say when he would ship?

I don't see agreement on trade items or terms or anything.

Most likely, he decided he didn't want to get screwed on your "deal" (1 OOP Wizard worth $10 for a $40+ boxed set).

IMO, you haven't got even the slighest justification for claiming "backout" here..
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Not a backout. I even agree with John on the vagueness of the trade. 5 vanguard for what exactly?
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Crestion du Sable ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Crestion du Sable »

darkjedilaw wrote:What I can't accept is offering out a trade then dead silence.

Happens all the time. I don't know how many times I've not gotten a reply from an offer that was way too low for what the guy wanted for the item. None of them are a backout, because, I would argue that a deal has to be made before one can backout.

Just because someone says they would probably (in this case 'prolly') do a deal, it is not the same as agreeing on the deal.

As to the "offering and hearing no response," if everyone who has had this happen were to file a BOR, this forum would be swollen with the things.

Just my 2 Lira.
Dave
darkjedilaw ( 376 )
Resident Trader

Post by darkjedilaw »

Sorry to bother everyone with this then. My fault for attempting to use the tools available to me.

I read the rules, interpreted them, and felt I had a BO. Apparently I'm not wise enough to make the interpretation though. In addition, apparently its fine to question what was traded for something else. Yeah, I thought it was odd that he was offering a vanguard squad for a valten, but who am I to judge the value someone else places on an item. In my view, we had a trade. I am apparently wrong. I didn't see a screening committee offering to make a judgement call prior to me posting this.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

darkjedilaw wrote:Sorry to bother everyone with this then. My fault for attempting to use the tools available to me.

I read the rules, interpreted them, and felt I had a BO. Apparently I'm not wise enough to make the interpretation though. In addition, apparently its fine to question what was traded for something else. Yeah, I thought it was odd that he was offering a vanguard squad for a valten, but who am I to judge the value someone else places on an item. In my view, we had a trade. I am apparently wrong. I didn't see a screening committee offering to make a judgement call prior to me posting this.

Okay... Seriously, man... take a step back and breathe for a sec.

After reading all the responses, i can totally understand how you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed and possibly even "jumped upon." I can assure you taht nobody here was attempting to criticize you (that I saw). Everything just reads like individual interpretations to me.

Like I said early on, nobody (official) is going to put this on your record or anything. You made an error, WITHOUT malice. It's fine. It's all good.

Also, while there may not have been a screening committe "offering their judgement calls" PRIOR to you posting it... Did you contact anyone? Any staff member, from Watchman to Administrator, would GLADLY offer our opinion on anything you ask, if you PM us. I do it a few times a week, myself. So does Porkuslime. You also could have posted a generic thread in the "have questions" forum, removing the other guys' name, asking for advice. You didn't though. I understand why and I'm not going to give you a hard time about it.

I hope that helps shed a bit of light on it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

In the mean time, I'll ask that nobody post their opinions to simply state that you don't think it's a trade. We've kind of settled that part. If you agree with the OP, though, or have some input/advice, feel free.

Eric

Return to “Deadbeats & Backouts”