BACKOUT: veal759

They're not Bad Traders per se but they are REALLY annoying. Tell us about them here. READ THE RULES.

Moderator: Moderators

LEGION ( 16 )
Trade Novice

BACKOUT: veal759

Post by LEGION »

Trader veal759 posted and sold a unit under negotiation the same day as we reached an agreement on price. Presumably so fast that he didn't have the time or the courtesy to let me know that they were already sold.

PMs in chornological descending cronological order:

Sent: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:52 am
To: LEGION
Oh ok. I've got a bunch that I had stashed away back when you could field daemons in a mortal army. I'm willing to part with them. I know most of them are missing arms (which could be fixed by an inventive plastic deamon swap). Ive got 10-20. lmk
-chris

Sent: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 am
To: veal759
Hmmm, no arms you say? Do you have no arms at all or some have arms and some are missing? What is their condition, painted, primed, bare metal?
The missing arms isn't too much of a problem. I think I have some dark elf and eldar pieces that would work.
Can you give me a price for the whole lot?

Sent: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:45 am
Wow, bartertown was down for over a week.
Just letting you know that I'm still here and still interested.

Sent: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 pm
by veal759
Yeah, it sure did
Here's the daemonettes.
daemonette pictures

Sent: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:58 pm
Thanks for the foto. They look like they were primed or partially stripped. And they all appear to be missing one arm. It also looks like they were based at one point or had their tabs clipped off. In this rough condition I would say $1.50 a piece plus shipping. Its going to take a fair number of bits and bases to make these whole.
If that sounds reasonable we can exchange information. If that is not enough make a counter offer and i 'll see what I can do.
Have a good one

Sent: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm
Hi
Yes, your assessment is pretty much spot on. These gals started in my WoC army back in 6th edition and migrated into my DE army as harpies. So yeah, they've been busy gals. I've looked into 'reconning' then for use in a display board, and found the relevant bits on ebay for a steal.
They seem to be in demand (I've got a good amount of mounted daemonettes as well) so I'll have to ask for $3.00 a fig shipped. I'll wait to hear back from you before I post 'em on the general forum.
Thanks!
-Chris

Sent: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:57 am
how many do you have total?

Sent: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm
There are 19. If you'd like we can round that to $60 : ). Here's my paypal if you decide to pull the trigger.
Thanks
-Chris
paypal: veal759@yahoo.com

Sent: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 pm
$60 total. Yeah I can do that. At least I will have everything I need for a unit in one go.
You can ship to:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sent: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 pm
by veal759
Sorry bud, didn't hear from you and someone else jumped in. Just sent you a refund via paypal.
-Chris

Sent: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 am
What the HELL man. You made that offer YESTERDAY!
You didn't even notify me someone else was interested.
That is seriously bad form.
Get in the Game!
veal759 ( 46 )
BTown Regular

Re: BACKOUT: veal759

Post by veal759 »

Trader veal759 posted and sold a unit under negotiation the same day as we reached an agreement on price. Presumably so fast that he didn't have the time or the courtesy to let me know that they were already sold.
Allright, I guess this is where I get to respond publicly!

First, know that I didn't get into a PM cat fight with you because I'm aware that your feelings were hurt and that further correspondence was going to be fruitless.

Since you insist on some sort of public self flagellation, know this;

- When a person is selling their mini's they generally need the cash. Like most gamers, I've got a veritable treasure trove of stuff tucked away from collecting over the past 15 yrs. Parting with my 'little mens' is not something I do lightly.

- Since, I needed the cash, I was no longer going to wait anymore for you. The correspondence had been going on since Jul9.

- I've got an 'internal clock' when it comes to deal/deal making on bartertown. Its about 24hrs. If terms are being bandied about over days and weeks then its been my experience that the odds of the deal reaching fruition go down.

- Within a few minutes of posting the figs for sale in the general forum, I had 2 full price offers. No haggling. No waiting. No one goes on vacation, no bartertown being down etc. The first offer was taken and paypal was received within minutes.

Now, a little bit of advice from me to you. If you're going after rare figures, be quick about it. I'm 100% aware of the ridiculous price that these figures tend to fetch on ebay. If you're serious about getting the figs, then don't make crazy low ball offers. Seal the deal, and fast. Most sellers would shut down at that point.

I refunded your money within minutes of receiving the alert. I still payed the fee, mind you, but I refunded your money post haste.

Lastly, know that I've got a lot of old metal daemon stuff. I probably do have more daemonettes and I know I've got a handful of the mounted daemonettes from last edition. If you had remained courteous, I probably would have taken the time to dig these babes up and toss them in your direction.

Again, I'm done with this. Please don't respond to my message or PM me.
LEGION ( 16 )
Trade Novice

Post by LEGION »

I don't give a flip about your "Internal clock" ALL of Bartertown was DOWN until June 17!

I checked the website EVERY SINGLE DAY and posted the minute I was able to log on. Its not like I just left you hanging with no response. I had no possible way of contacting you without the use of Bartertown.

You say you needed the money in a hurry, fine. But you were responding to MY add and you didn't even give me a concrete price until June 20 so you didn't appear to be rushing from any perspective. Not to mention you listed an item that was being bartered for and sold it out from under me within 7 hours of giving me a final price with shipping! It takes the bank longer than that to deposit money INTO A PAYPAL ACCOUNT!

Not everybody is on summer break or jobless and can answer posts every minute of the day. It is common courtesy to conclude business with one trader before starting a deal with another for the same item.

My advice to you, figure out what you want for a model and how many you are selling before replying to an add. You didn't even tell me how many you had to sell until the 20th (your last post before I accepted the deal). You could have had the sale and saved yourself a backout trader report if you had given me accurate information up front instead of muckin' about.
Get in the Game!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

veal759 wrote: First, know that I didn't get into a PM cat fight with you because I'm aware that your feelings were hurt and that further correspondence was going to be fruitless.
This was a very smart decision. PM cat fights never turn into anything worthwhile.
veal759 wrote: - When a person is selling their mini's they generally need the cash. Like most gamers, I've got a veritable treasure trove of stuff tucked away from collecting over the past 15 yrs. Parting with my 'little mens' is not something I do lightly.
This has no bearing on the complaint.

veal759 wrote: - Since, I needed the cash, I was no longer going to wait anymore for you. The correspondence had been going on since Jul9.
This was not HIS fault. The site was down for almost a week.
veal759 wrote: - I've got an 'internal clock' when it comes to deal/deal making on bartertown. Its about 24hrs. If terms are being bandied about over days and weeks then its been my experience that the odds of the deal reaching fruition go down.

- Within a few minutes of posting the figs for sale in the general forum, I had 2 full price offers. No haggling. No waiting. No one goes on vacation, no bartertown being down etc. The first offer was taken and paypal was received within minutes.
None of this matters. You made an offer and he agreed to it. As such, you had what Bartertown defines as a trade. By not following through, you violated your agreement with him.
If these models were still available to others, your offer to him should have indicated as much. Something like, "I'll take $3 a piece, unless a better offer comes in from elsewhere sooner," would have been the appropriate counter-offer to his $1.50 offer.
veal759 wrote: Now, a little bit of advice from me to you. If you're going after rare figures, be quick about it. I'm 100% aware of the ridiculous price that these figures tend to fetch on ebay. If you're serious about getting the figs, then don't make crazy low ball offers. Seal the deal, and fast. Most sellers would shut down at that point.
In response, I'd like to offer my own advice.
Keep your word. Stick to the deals you make. If you offer someone a price, don't reneg on it. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST reneg, then at least give them the chance to match the current offer. It's the respectable, responsible thing to do, regardless of the great deal you're giving someone.
veal759 wrote: I refunded your money within minutes of receiving the alert. I still payed the fee, mind you, but I refunded your money post haste.
You paid no fee. When you hit the "refund" button on PayPal, the initial sender gets their complete amount back, including the fees (which PayPal refunds).
veal759 wrote: Lastly, know that I've got a lot of old metal daemon stuff. I probably do have more daemonettes and I know I've got a handful of the mounted daemonettes from last edition. If you had remained courteous, I probably would have taken the time to dig these babes up and toss them in your direction.
This has no bearing on the complaint, except as an attempt to stick a thorn in his side.

LEGION wrote:I don't give a flip about your "Internal clock" ALL of Bartertown was DOWN until June 17!
Was that a typo, or...?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
veal759 ( 46 )
BTown Regular

Post by veal759 »

- Legion

Next time, be quicker.

Your purported times are all off. You didn't respond to me within 24 hours. Someone else now has the toys.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

veal759 wrote:- Legion

Next time, be quicker.

Your purported times are all off. You didn't respond to me within 24 hours. Someone else now has the toys.
Are you saying the dates and times on his pm's are off?
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

No.
He's taking advantage of semantics and playing word games.
Technically, he did not respond within 24 hours.
Though it WAS the next day, it was technically 33 hours and 13 minutes.

Does anyone involved in the actual failed trade have anything else appropriate to add?
If not, I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread. These are supposed to be informative, not argumentative.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Guess there's nothing new to add, then.

Eric

Return to “Deadbeats & Backouts”