Questions about the trade reporting system (ITC?) And cross posting

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

JuicyPVP ( 0 )
New Trader

Questions about the trade reporting system (ITC?) And cross posting

Post by JuicyPVP »

Hi all.

I'm brand new here! I've read the rules, even the advertising ones Haha, and they keep linking me to this trade reporting system but the link seems broken? I've attached a picture of what I'm seeing.

Can I see myself before any trades have gone thru, as in am I there as a zero activity profile?

I'm just assuming I'm shipping first to everyone since I'm new, so what is a good reputation to go for at first in trade partners? 20? 200? 2? I assume the software has some sort of search functionality?

Unrelated question:
As I understand it I could post my haves and wants in numerous threads as long as they match that thread?

So an example of this would be: (completely made up)
Have:
5x tactical marines
20x scenic bases for necron/space Egypt
1x NIB imperial knight

Want: (again made up for example):
10x AOS sylvaneth dryads
10x oil drums scatter terrain

As I understand it I can cross list that in the scifi, fantasy, Bitz, and terrain subs? I tried re-reading it but came up with that.

Thanks! I have a lot of stuff I want to send and receive so I'm looking forward to getting trading!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milwaukee WI
I play WH40K and have IG and DA armies.

Rich - Juicy
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Re: Questions about the trade reporting system (ITC?) And cross posting

Post by Plarz »

JuicyPVP wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:15 am
Hi all.

I'm brand new here! I've read the rules, even the advertising ones Haha, and they keep linking me to this trade reporting system but the link seems broken? I've attached a picture of what I'm seeing.

Can I see myself before any trades have gone thru, as in am I there as a zero activity profile?

I'm just assuming I'm shipping first to everyone since I'm new, so what is a good reputation to go for at first in trade partners? 20? 200? 2? I assume the software has some sort of search functionality?

Thanks! I have a lot of stuff I want to send and receive so I'm looking forward to getting trading!
Sorry about the broken links in the rules, I'll fix those ASAP. The correct links can be found in the menu at the top of the page. I've also listed them here:

ref_post.php
ref_view.php
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I prefer somebody to have 40+... but that is just my opinion and it is arbitrary for sure... That means they have done at least 20 trades... I would also look for any negatives/neutrals (regardless of their positive feedback)... and those would impact my willingness to deal with them (depending on the reasons for the negatives/neutrals)... That is also my opinion and arbitrary.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Jesus Christ, man!

NO new trader has EVER impressed me like you just did. And, ask anyone... I can be a bit jaded. I'm not easily impressed.

I mean, you read the DAMNED rules first, before doing a damned thing. Wow!
Then... you actually clicked ON LINK IN THOSE RULES!
Again, wow!

And the kicker? YOU F*CKING ASKED QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's not a bit of sarcasm here, JPVP. Well done. More ESTABLISHED traders could learn a thing or two from you.

As for your questions, I'll see what I can do to give answers. Plarz is our tech guru. He handled the issue you found with the links. I'll try to handle the rest.

1) You can find your PROFILE by clicking on your name (like, in your original post). There won't be much to see there, but generic info you gave us when signing up. If you want to search yourself in the ref system (you'll come up with nothing showing, since you have no trades), you have two options:
a) Click the number next to your name in the original post. That will open your trade refs (you can do this for any User - check mine, if you want, to see)
b) Click on"Check Trade Refs" in the banner above, right below our crest and site name in the blue bar. From there, you can search by a number of options.

2) Assume nothing. You only ship first if you're comfortable doing so. Some people MISTAKENLY believe it's a BTown rules that lower traders ship first. NOT TRUE. It's a personal rule held by some traders (including myself - see my sig line), but is in no way endorsed by us as a site-wide rule. As long as you're trading legally, the specifics are up to each trader to decide.
That said, you should expect to ship first, usually. Find a number you're comfortable with. Take a trader's ref score, and divide by 2. That's the number of successful trades they've had where a reference was left (you WILL have traders who just don't leave references, so the higher a person's score, the more likely it is that people didn't leave them refs. Someone with a 700 has, almost certainly, had more than 350 trades!).
When in doubt, talk it out. If someone has a ref score of 20 and wants you to ship first, but you're not comfortable with it, ask for a phone number. Call and talk to that person to verify that you have a more concrete way of contacting them. While "burner phones" are a thing in big crime, I have yet to hear of it happening here.

3) Ad Posting:
You've correctly summarized the process.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

The other big thing to remember is that, when cash is involved, I highly recommend using PayPal. And ALWAYS send as payment for goods and services, because then you're protected by PayPal. It's saved my bacon more than once in the past. Also, it's not a bad idea to do a bunch of small trades at first, to get some positive references under your belt. That said, welcome to the site!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Good advice there.
An addendum to that is that, if someone REALLY wants the PayPal to come as "Friends and Family" to save themselves some fees, you might consider (a) paying after receiving your goods, so you don't get ripped off or (b) paying the fees yourself.
Once you've been around, there will be people you'll be comfortable paying as F&F before receiving your stuff (for example, I'd send money to reegsk without fees before he sent my stuff, despite my personal rule about lower rating shipping first - IMO, he's earned the trust and respect). Until you have people you feel that way about, though... no Friends and Family.
Also, you can ALWAYS reach out to a staff member (Red and Green IDs) and ask their opinions on a trade or trader if you feel uncomfortable.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
JuicyPVP ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by JuicyPVP »

Awesome thank you everyone! And thank you for the compliment magickalmemories. I need some bits I will likely buy first to try and boost my rep in a low risk way for my trade partners. I was most worried about cross posting my Ad and getting yelled at for doing it wrong. Thanks again everyone!
Milwaukee WI

Rich - Juicy
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

Also, as an addendum above..

BLUE names are our Advertisers, and if you have a purchase need, consider going to them first. They help keep the site free for most members.

As advertisers, they also get a few perks, so if you see someone Blue post ads frequently, it is not a fluke or reportable offense..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
JuicyPVP ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by JuicyPVP »

Awesome. I've clicked on several of the banner ads and checked stuff out on a lot of the sites.
Milwaukee WI

Rich - Juicy

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”