Locked Post Question

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Gbarnett427 ( 2 )
New Trader

Locked Post Question

Post by Gbarnett427 »

I am new to Bartertown and I have recently had my post locked. I have asked the admins through "Contact Us" and a PM message and found out that my post was locked when I replied to a question that someone asked me in the thread instead of replying through PM. I've learned that lesson now, but I had another question. Will the post become unlocked at some point? Since I am running an add that contains multiple single entries, I would like to keep it updated so as to avoid people asking for items that may already be sold. Example, suppose I list 5 things in a post and 3 of them sell. Going forward, what would be the best way to keep the post up-to-date so I don't have people upset when they ask after items that have already been sold? Thanks in advance for the help.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Locked Post Question

Post by pretre »

Just edit the original post or, if it has been a week, post an updated post.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Locked Post Question

Post by MagickalMemories »

Once a thread is locked, the original ad cannot be edited, and nobody can reply to it (except staff - YOU CANNOT HIDE FROM US! LOL).

Going forward, there are actually two "best practices."
The first is simply not to update your ad. This means that you are likely to get more replies. If someone is interested in 2 things you've listed, but sees that one has sold, they're less likely to reach out to you. On the other hand, if they PM you and you reply with an apology that one is taken, but you'll be glad to make a good deal on the other, yyou're more likely to make a deal for the single item.

The other is to edit your initial post when an item is sold/traded. You should ONLY do this after payment is received, or the other party has committed to the trade in writing, though.
The upside to this is that it's the one time it's okay to "bump" your post. You may strike out or remove items (and/or add new items), then (immediately) reply to your own thread with a notice of what changes you made.
"Update: items removed" will get your ad locked.
"Update: Removed Eldar Guardians and added AM Scions" will NOT get your ad removed.

I hope that helps.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”