New Site Weirdness

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Re: New Site Weirdness

Post by gwaddict »

Sweet. Thanks for the update. Been running into the search error

Operating System: Windows
Browser: Chrome
Private Browsing (Y/N): N
Always / Sometimes: Always
Last edited by gwaddict on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

If anyone is having the same 504 error, please post the following information about your device:
Please be clear if a search works with one combination of OS/Browser consistently, but not others.

Operating System:
Browser:
Private Browsing (Y/N):
Always / Sometimes:

Thanks!
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

The BTR forum and Backout forum used to "bump." If you replied to a thread, it would move to the top.
Just had someone update their BTR after THREE years (the guy reached out to him and paid him, out of the blue). When the OP posted in his BTR, it didn't move to the top. I had to look for it.

Can that be returned to the old way?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:52 am
The BTR forum and Backout forum used to "bump." If you replied to a thread, it would move to the top.
Just had someone update their BTR after THREE years (the guy reached out to him and paid him, out of the blue). When the OP posted in his BTR, it didn't move to the top. I had to look for it.

Eric
I'll add this to the list, thanks.
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:52 am

Eric
Both of those should be using the default last_topic_post_date as the sort method. However, your user global sort method could override that, I think. Anyone else seeing this?
WhiteShepherd ( 0 )
Trade Novice

Post by WhiteShepherd »

Any indication when this will be fixed?
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

WhiteShepherd wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 pm
Any indication when this will be fixed?
tl;dr: We tried all the easy things, but it's a confusing problem and all that's left are the expensive and time-consuming things. Ugh.

Technical explanation:
I've gone back and forth trying things suggested by the phpBB community and support folks. We've determined it's not the database, the search engine or the database indexing. Due to the fact some searches execute as expected (very quickly) and others crash, it's very difficult to understand what's going on because we don't get consistent results. However, that leads us to the logic layer, and we suspect PHP or an algorithm. We also verified it's not due to our forum's size - turns out we're on the small end of the spectrum.

At this point, the only real diagnostic tool left is to clone the server (so we can safely mess with things), hook in a debugger and start troubleshooting from there. The main hurdle with that is finding a way to replicate the forum safely (keeping your personal info protected) with as few changed variables as possible (including hardware specs) without incurring an additional monthly charge from our host.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Search function still not working?
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by gwaddict »

It would be killer to have the search function back up to track down potential trades.
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

The main issue (IMO):
The main hurdle with that is finding a way to replicate the forum safely (keeping your personal info protected) with as few changed variables as possible (including hardware specs) without incurring an additional monthly charge from our host.
As a free site, Bartertown is already operating on a budget deficit. I don't really know where we'd come up with the requisite additional funds.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

gwaddict wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 pm
It would be killer to have the search function back up to track down potential trades.
I use google.com

For example:

'site:bartertown.com potential trades' leads you here.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Doctrin ( 32 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Doctrin »

Had a similar issue on my forum was able to fix it by increasing the timeout limit. Most BB will have the default set to 30 by increasing it to 180 i was able to fix my issue.
I just seen you tried to increase the limit already, have you tried setting it above 60?
Have you attempted to do a complete re-index? Just make sure to back up all search tables before deleting the old index.
Doctrin ( 32 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Doctrin »

Also just a thought, why not just either remove the search box or the input field instead of having the banner that says its broken or replace that area with coming soon.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

Doctrin wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 pm
Had a similar issue on my forum was able to fix it by increasing the timeout limit. Most BB will have the default set to 30 by increasing it to 180 i was able to fix my issue.
I just seen you tried to increase the limit already, have you tried setting it above 60?
Have you attempted to do a complete re-index? Just make sure to back up all search tables before deleting the old index.
Tried all of that when I worked through the obvious culprits with the phpBB developers. Execution timers are at double or triple the default, and I tried every indexing method supported by phpBB, and I tried re-indexing the database multiple times. If you look at the bottom of the page, you'll notice some stats in very small text - every time a page is loaded, the PHP script and DB are measured - they seem to be operating well under those limits.
Doctrin wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 pm
Also just a thought, why not just either remove the search box or the input field instead of having the banner that says its broken or replace that area with coming soon.
Because the search works over half the time. Only a few search terms for a few users fail - seems excessive to remove the feature for everyone.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Not sure if this is new or just something I never ran into before, but:

"Your message contains 65254 characters.
The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000."
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”