New Site Weirdness

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Re: New Site Weirdness

Post by Plarz »

sithkhan wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:38 am
I am having search issues:

Here is my search string:
search.php?keywords=Dark+Age&sid=6c6910 ... 98adf6e23f

Here is the page result after 15 - 20 seconds

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in /home/barterto/public_html/trading/vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php on line 420

Thanks for the new digs, regardless!
That worked for me, but out returned 627 results and took forever.

Thanks. I'm going to look into alternate search options or something. Until I have a solution, just do what you can, I guess.

Sorry.
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
sithkhan ( 106 )
BTown Regular

Post by sithkhan »

Plarz wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:34 am
That worked for me, but out returned 627 results and took forever.

Thanks. I'm going to look into alternate search options or something. Until I have a solution, just do what you can, I guess.

Sorry.
Thanks for looking into it! The string works now; I don't think it was a connection issue, but who knows?
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

In the past, I used google and site:bartertown.com

The search has never been great for me.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
judgedoug ( 214 )
Resident Trader

Post by judgedoug »

when searching for "Steel Legion", both yesterday and today.

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
- Doug
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

judgedoug wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:34 pm
when searching for "Steel Legion", both yesterday and today.

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
This is because you are effectively searching for all posts containing "steel" or "legion", and that's likely most of the forum. You can search a specific sub-forum by navigating to it and then using the "Search Forum" box (or using the advanced search from anywhere) - that may limit the search to a small enough set of posts that it'll complete for you.

Alternatively, use Google?

I'm looking into ways to make the search function better, but they're not here yet, sorry.
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
judgedoug ( 214 )
Resident Trader

Post by judgedoug »

Plarz wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 pm
This is because you are effectively searching for all posts containing "steel" or "legion", and that's likely most of the forum. You can search a specific sub-forum by navigating to it and then using the "Search Forum" box (or using the advanced search from anywhere) - that may limit the search to a small enough set of posts that it'll complete for you.

Alternatively, use Google?

I'm looking into ways to make the search function better, but they're not here yet, sorry.
Heya, sorry, these are my search parameters. Steel Legion in the 40k forum for the last 3 months. It's still throwing the 504. Can you let me know if this is the wrong way to search for it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Doug
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

I don't see much you could do differently. We only keep the last two-weeks of posts, so you can set the time-limit or turn that off. I doubt it'll help, but you never know.

I'm going to ask the phpBB guys about this - I doubt they run into forums as large as ours - I bet they'd be interested in our use case.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Is the new site supposed to look much different on a mobile device? Tried it the other day and seemed odd.

Jason
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

jason1977 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 1:44 pm
Is the new site supposed to look much different on a mobile device? Tried it the other day and seemed odd.

Jason
It will be different, yes. If you think something is wrong, post a screenshot?
HinesDawg ( 128 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HinesDawg »

Any chance we could have the "See your Posts" quicklink added back into the menu bar? Makes it much easier to update sales posts than trying to find my post or go through my profile to find it that way.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Was talking to someone about buying an item. PM history over about a week and a half. Deal fell through. I deleted all the 'sent' messages and was gonna delete all the inbox ones but the last one in the history. After deleting all the 'sent' ones, I was surprised to see the same messages gone from the thread in the inbox. Only the other members messages were in my inbox. Is this normal?

If unclear LMK.

Jason
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Yeah, that used to happen on the old site too.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

HinesDawg wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 1:12 pm
Any chance we could have the "See your Posts" quicklink added back into the menu bar? Makes it much easier to update sales posts than trying to find my post or go through my profile to find it that way.
If you're logged in, this is found under the "Quick Links" menu in the top left. It's labeled "Your Posts".
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

When certain action by users are done on the site, mark topics read, log off etc, a small window pops up. This window has the classic 'X' in the top right corner. This 'X" is extremely small. Can the size be increased??
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I don't know about that part...
But you can just click anywhere OFF of that window, and it'll go away.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”