Question regarding a lock, unsure where to put

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

AgeOfEgos ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Question regarding a lock, unsure where to put

Post by AgeOfEgos »

It appears this thread was locked;

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=288068

I'm assuming this was due to my bump/response to another user--which I did due to him not messaging me first (He posted he was interested) and his small trade #s. My response was to PM me a list rather than post in the thread--so unsure if this is really a nefarious 'bump' or not.

Anyways, was just curious if that was the cause.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: Question regarding a lock, unsure where to put

Post by 3eland »

It would appear that yes, it is what caused the locking.
AgeOfEgos wrote:
chaosgabe wrote:I'm really interested in the rebel ships / core set. I have some YJ to trade if you are interested. NIB, I have Shaolin Monks box, 1 Kanren, 1 Su Jian, 1 Domaru Takeshi Neko Oyama, Tsun Ze 1.0 (new sculpt). I have some stuff primed white as well, but I do not know if you are interested in those.

Definitely interested, sent a PM
As it is not relating to the trade goods itself, it is a bump.

Rule #13: Ad Posting & "Post Bumping"
Please note that Bartertown users are limited to one topic/ad per forum per seven calendar days. Also, they may not "bump" their own topic/ad - ever.
For those of you who don't understand this: Look at a calendar. If I post an ad on 3 July in the 40k forum I may not repost an ad to that forum until 10 July. That is seven calendar days. It's a legal term.

Example:
Let's say I have some LOTR Riders of Rohan I want to get rid of and other miscellaneous stuff from WHFB and 40K. I can post an ad with those items together in the LOTR, WHFB and 40K forums. Seven calendar days later, I can post another ad with the same items OR I can edit the ad at any time.
What I can't do is relist the items every day in each forum.

Helpful Hint: The idea here is to prevent excessive promotion of one's trade/sale items or discussion topics. Users are prohibited via software from making more than one new topic per seven days (4 days for Bartertown Plus members), but there are other ways to self-promote. It's awkward wording, but "post bumping" is a term understood by the greatest number of people.

A Trade Ad should only be placed in the most appropriate forum for the item(s) it contains. If you only have bits or terrain, for example, your ad should only go in the forum for what you have. If you have both, then both forums are the "most appropriate."
-If you only have and/or want 40K models, then your ad should only go in the 40K forum
-If you only have and/or want bits, regardless of the game system, then your ad should only go in the Bits forum
-If you only have and/or want terrain, regardless of the game system, then your ad should only go in the Terrain forum (etc.)

If you've got items that fit into multiple categories, you may cross-post given the stricture above.

>>You may update your ORIGINAL POST (OP), and you may then immediately leave a reply in the thread stating WHAT was updated. If you fail to update the OP, or fail to state what you updated in the reply; then your thread will be locked for Bumping and you will be given a warning.
If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
AgeOfEgos ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by AgeOfEgos »

Yes, I've read the FAQ and I understand the need to limit shameless self bumps. I guess my larger point would be--you have the spirit of a forum rule (prevent self bumping for nefarious reasons)--then someone responding to a newer trader stating to check his PM (which results in a self bump but is really not the motivation).

So, in the future, perhaps a message to the original poster stating as much would be helpful--or a warning that it was obvious not the intent but can still be a potential violation. Understand?
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Some members of staff do, it depends on if they are moderating a forum on PC or a mobile device and if they feel the person should know better. There are a lot of posts to moderate, especially on the weekend. So having to send a PM to everyone that bumps a thread (indirectly or not) would take up even more time, not to mention most members would shrug it off or say they didn't mean to any way. The rule is clear though, that the thread will be locked.

If you PM someone, it emails them (unless they turn it off, but a new user most likely wouldn't know how). So they have an email notification as well as when they log in it would say 1 new message. Unless they subscribe to the post, you commenting doesn't actually notify them at all, so they would have to click on your post to see that you commented. They are more likely going to see the new message or email first.

That and he's been a member since 2008. If he doesn't know how it all works by now then I do not know what to say.

I understand where you are coming from, and I'm sure the staff will discuss your suggestion, but you have to realize how easy it is to abuse that. I see the staff member didn't issue you a board warning (that's what the warning is, it's a board warning against your account, not a PM warning you). I'll push for placing the quoted rule above in the locked threads but frankly, that is all that may change unless the rules for bumping change themselves.

Having a locked thread only means you cannot edit it. Members can still contact you. So after the 7 days are up, simply repost a new thread with any changes.

Thanks,

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”