Is it normal for people to not leave references?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

chutche2 ( 20 )
New Trader

Is it normal for people to not leave references?

Post by chutche2 »

I've left 7 good references for each of my completed trades so far, and gotten two back. Is that the norm here? It's making it feel like not bothering to leave any.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Is it normal for people to not leave references?

Post by pretre »

A lot of the time you need to remind people. Sometimes, they never leave a reference though. I have, for example, 18 references that were never left by others. :(
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

It is normal yes.

I have a good chunk of people who have never left me references, some even after I bring it up (kindly of course) days later.

Unless you put it in your actual trading agreement, members are NOT required to leave you feedback. Meaning, you owe no one feedback, and no one owes you.

It's kind of "frowned" upon though since this site is about coming together and building networks/connections.

The best thing for you to do is send them a PM kindly asking if they would leave you a reference, or, what you could do in the future for them to leave a reference. Most of the time they will apologize (life can be busy after all) and leave you one.

If you decide to add it into your trading agreement, then it is "owed" to you as the reference is part of the deal. I have found a lot of new members have started doing that to help boost their score.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm going to do something VERY rare here...
I disagree with 3eland.

It is NOT normal for only 29(ish)% of your trades to leave you a reference.
It IS normal for people not to leave references, but not in those percentages.

A suggestion for you, if I may?

Make "At the successful completion of the trade, we will each leave a positive reference for the other within 7 days," part of your trade agreement.
When both of you have received your items, follow up with a message of "Do we agree that we're both happy that this was a successful trade?"
If you leave a ref, but your partner doesn't, you have just cause to ask staff to delete his reference. I don't suggest it but, IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO BE A JERK, you would also then have an argument to support leaving them a negative, since they did not reciprocate a reference. *I* would not do that.... but it's a theoretical possibility.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

MagickalMemories wrote:I'm going to do something VERY rare here...
I disagree with 3eland.

It is NOT normal for only 29(ish)% of your trades to leave you a reference.
It IS normal for people not to leave references, but not in those percentages.

A suggestion for you, if I may?

Make "At the successful completion of the trade, we will each leave a positive reference for the other within 7 days," part of your trade agreement.
When both of you have received your items, follow up with a message of "Do we agree that we're both happy that this was a successful trade?"
If you leave a ref, but your partner doesn't, you have just cause to ask staff to delete his reference. I don't suggest it but, IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO BE A JERK, you would also then have an argument to support leaving them a negative, since they did not reciprocate a reference. *I* would not do that.... but it's a theoretical possibility.

Eric

Woah woah. You aren't allowed to disagree with me!

lol. I meant it is normal for you to not receive References (multiple even). I wasn't refering to the % not received back.

Ryan
~Ryan~

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

First of all... Yes. I certainly am allowed to do that, Newbadmin. I can disagree with anybody I want.
And you're only backtracking now because I called you out on how wrong you is.

You was all trying to make the new guy like "Oh, noes! I ain't getting no references ever," and I was like "Oh, no he di-int." Now you's all backtrackin' and stuff.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I'm just over here smiling that I have more refs than MM now. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

MagickalMemories wrote:First of all... Yes. I certainly am allowed to do that, Newbadmin. I can disagree with anybody I want.
And you're only backtracking now because I called you out on how wrong you is.

You was all trying to make the new guy like "Oh, noes! I ain't getting no references ever," and I was like "Oh, no he di-int." Now you's all backtrackin' and stuff.

Eric
Nuh uh.

pretre wrote:I'm just over here smiling that I have more refs than MM now. :)
Now time to beat Pork.

Ryan
~Ryan~

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Working on it. ;)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

More refs than me? M***erF***er, that ain't NOTHING to brag about. I've done about 4 trades in the last year. I have precious little time (or trade fodder) for it.
Wanna brag? Get your POST COUNT above mine!
:mrgreen: :-P :twisted: :wink:

And... 3eland? Keep talking, punk.
Banhammers for EVERYONE!

Eric

jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Admins stop....i need more pop corn.

And heres a hammer:
20160826_084127-1-1.jpg
Ban away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:
More refs than me? M***erF***er, that ain't NOTHING to brag about. I've done about 4 trades in the last year. I have precious little time (or trade fodder) for it.
Wanna brag? Get your POST COUNT above mine!
:mrgreen: :-P :twisted: :wink:

And... 3eland? Keep talking, punk.
Banhammers for EVERYONE!

Eric
Whatever you need to tell yourself. :)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Says the guy with less than a thousand posts.
Pfft.
No0b.

Eric

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah!
~Ryan~

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:Says the guy with less than a thousand posts.
Pfft.
No0b.

Eric
It's just because I don't have to interject myself into conversations because I claim to be an admin or something. ;)

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”