a quick question about purchasing items

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

WillyBRags ( 16 )
BTown Regular

a quick question about purchasing items

Post by WillyBRags »

Hello everyone,

if someone wants to buy something, no trading, if you have higher feedback is it customary to ship the items before getting paid if the buyer has more feedback?
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Re: a quick question about purchasing items

Post by starslayer »

Yes, it is. But...you are free to have your own rules on a trade/ sale. It may limit who will buy from you. Just discuss terms with the other person.
Personally I would not pay a new member with a low rating first, but other might. A long term member with a high rating is less likely to not come through on their end than someone joining 6 months ago.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I posted a thread about trading on Bartertown. Check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=261260
Starslayer is correct in that many members follow the guideline that lower rating ships/pays first. However please note this is not a Bartertown rule and anyone stating so is wrong.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Starslayer's signature sums up pretty well the general opinion (including mine) on the matter.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
WillyBRags ( 16 )
BTown Regular

Post by WillyBRags »

Well the guy that was buying from me came to an agreement that he can pay first, cause it's paying for product, but to look after it the normal way and I'll look after the fees involved, take pictures, tracking with ups, the whole 9, I don't have alot of feedback, but paying before shipping just seems...right?, all looked after, just have to wait for the funds to clean, then off to ups I go, thanks guys
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Yeah, I don't do higher rating ships first on sales. Heck, I don't usually do it on trades unless I'm feeling cheeky.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

pretre wrote:Yeah, I don't do higher rating ships first on sales. Heck, I don't usually do it on trades unless I'm feeling cheeky.
Yeah, but you have a fantastic rating & refs. Im not paying a new member with a rating of 8 before receiving. My choice. The argument of "paying first on sales first" or "feels right" (to who?) is not good enough. Look at the bad trader section and back outs- 90%+ is new members with low ratings. When you have a high rating built over many years- you are much less likely to screw up or risk your hard work.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

starslayer wrote:
pretre wrote:Yeah, I don't do higher rating ships first on sales. Heck, I don't usually do it on trades unless I'm feeling cheeky.
Yeah, but you have a fantastic rating & refs. Im not paying a new member with a rating of 8 before receiving. My choice. The argument of "paying first on sales first" or "feels right" (to who?) is not good enough. Look at the bad trader section and back outs- 90%+ is new members with low ratings. When you have a high rating built over many years- you are much less likely to screw up or risk your hard work.
Let me put it this way.

I have always had buyer paid first and then the seller shipped, even when I had a cruddy rating.

That's separate from the 'higher rating' business that I don't really use.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”