Opinions on "Waiting Period" if the other guy goes silent.

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

gamefusion ( 616 )
Millenium Trader

Opinions on "Waiting Period" if the other guy goes silent.

Post by gamefusion »

Hi all

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on something. This is a situation I've run into quite a bit, and it made me think...

1. Another guy & I agree to a trade. He has lower rating than I do, and agrees to ship first.
2. I get his half of the deal. I'm happy with it. I let him know everything's good.
3. I send my half. A few days later I see that it's been delivered, via whatever form of tracking I'm using.
4. The other guy doesn't confirm without me dragging it out of him, or just flat-out goes silent. No logging in, no reading PMs, no nothing.

So my question is this; in that scenario, if you were in my shoes, how long would you wait before just assuming that the trade is complete and moving along? And by moving along I mean things like; stripping the models, trading/selling them in another deal, chopping them up for conversions, opening the packages & building them, giving them away as gifts, spending the paypal funds I got, etc.....

I mean, I always assume that people will get in touch right away if there's a problem, right? But how long do you wait when you're working under the assumption that everything went well, since you didn't hear anything to the contrary?

Specifically, this is irritating when I have paypal funds just sitting there, and I feel like yeah, they should be mine to spend now, but out of a sense of courtesy I'm just sitting here, waiting for someone to get back to me. Frustrating.

Personally, I usually PM after 24 hours have passed, then again after 48, letting them know that if I don't hear anything by the time 72 have gone by, I'm assuming closure and moving on.

Thoughts?
US Trades Only, please! International shipping is just getting too expensive.
The object of a game is to win. The point of a game is to have fun.
My trading rules:
1. Lower rating ships first, unless we agree otherwise.
2. Delivery confirmation is required on all US trades.
3. I will not mark an international package as a "gift". It's a felony, so please don't ask.

References owed to me by: noexit1982, paintballparkhurst, BrPrometheus, porkfriedricy, busby
Mahebourg ( 2 )
New Trader

Re: Opinions on "Waiting Period" if the other guy goes silen

Post by Mahebourg »

I'd say if they went first and you have sent funds, the onus is on them to report some kind of problem.

I'd maybe give it a week out of courtesy, but no more, and I think you'd be justified if you didn't wait at all.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”