Send before receiving payment?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Send before receiving payment?

Post by MagickalMemories »

Resin Forge was out of Texas (like "Mandelbonder" -a nickname I coined for him). I'm not familiar with the MI one.

Your policies on who to deal with and not to are pretty sound.
The only worry about the eBay policy is that it's easy to get by. You can do the same thing as people have done here and other sites. Do some unimportant sales until your rating is to X. Then, go in for one big haul/scam.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I'd rather trade here than on ebay any day...
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

MagickalMemories wrote:Resin Forge was out of Texas (like "Mandelbonder" -a nickname I coined for him). I'm not familiar with the MI one.

Your policies on who to deal with and not to are pretty sound.
The only worry about the eBay policy is that it's easy to get by. You can do the same thing as people have done here and other sites. Do some unimportant sales until your rating is to X. Then, go in for one big haul/scam.

Eric

That's why I said "0" feedback sellers, or no sales feedback, as it goes they need several positives before being able to successfully scam.

as to the guy allegedly being out of Texas, someone might want to approach the other company and make him aware of how his company name is being raked thru the mud, since he will be able to shut down the scammer and most likely get him sent to prison or jail.

its one thing to scam a few bucks out of someone, its something else entirely to ruin a company's reputation. or in essence steal their companies identity.
Sinjin ( 182 )
BTown Regular

Post by Sinjin »

Scarapis wrote:
Sinjin wrote:It's also worth noting that the community is rather divided on the issue of who sends first with a sale. There are many that want payment first, regardless of rating. And there are just as many (like myself) who follow lower rating ships first, regardless of type of transaction.

If you want payment first, that is totally within your right. Hell, if you want people to ship to you first in a trade that is your right. It is up to you and your trade partner to come to some agreement that works for both of you.

Just be aware that many (but certainly no all) higher ref traders will not send any amount of money first to someone with a lower rating, so you somewhat limit your pool of potential customers.

-Jeff

Jeff, in this I'd disagree anywhere I've been it doesn't matter who has what rating, if your paying cash you always pay first doesn't matter if the other person only has a couple feedback and you have hundreds, now a trade is a beast of another matter, with trading I can see the lower feedback sending first.
I find it interesting that someone with 0 trades is going to disagree with a person who has been on the site for many years with tons of trades.

As always, you are free to try to conduct transactions however you want, but before you go touting how wonderful PayPals protections is, spend some time going through the Bad Trader section. Most never get their money back. PayPals protection is worth only slightly more then you pay for it. HINT: it's free.

And to be brutally honest, even if it was 100% effective, I still wouldn't send money first. As a reputable trader you have no reason to think that I would not pay you. However as a new trader, I have no reason to believe anything about what I'm buying from you. Will it be in the condition that you listed? Will you mail it to me in a timely fashion? Will it be packed and boxed with care so that I doesn't arrive as a pile of bits? Hell, I remember a BTR about a guy who sold someone PAPER 40k TANKS. PAPER! I'm pretty sure that guy didn't get his money back from PayPal.

There are many ways to make sure everybody has a good experience on this site, and IMHO following Lowest Ships First at all times is one of the best.
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

Sinjin wrote:
Scarapis wrote:
Sinjin wrote:It's also worth noting that the community is rather divided on the issue of who sends first with a sale. There are many that want payment first, regardless of rating. And there are just as many (like myself) who follow lower rating ships first, regardless of type of transaction.

If you want payment first, that is totally within your right. Hell, if you want people to ship to you first in a trade that is your right. It is up to you and your trade partner to come to some agreement that works for both of you.

Just be aware that many (but certainly no all) higher ref traders will not send any amount of money first to someone with a lower rating, so you somewhat limit your pool of potential customers.

-Jeff

Jeff, in this I'd disagree anywhere I've been it doesn't matter who has what rating, if your paying cash you always pay first doesn't matter if the other person only has a couple feedback and you have hundreds, now a trade is a beast of another matter, with trading I can see the lower feedback sending first.
I find it interesting that someone with 0 trades is going to disagree with a person who has been on the site for many years with tons of trades.

As always, you are free to try to conduct transactions however you want, but before you go touting how wonderful PayPals protections is, spend some time going through the Bad Trader section. Most never get their money back. PayPals protection is worth only slightly more then you pay for it. HINT: it's free.

And to be brutally honest, even if it was 100% effective, I still wouldn't send money first. As a reputable trader you have no reason to think that I would not pay you. However as a new trader, I have no reason to believe anything about what I'm buying from you. Will it be in the condition that you listed? Will you mail it to me in a timely fashion? Will it be packed and boxed with care so that I doesn't arrive as a pile of bits? Hell, I remember a BTR about a guy who sold someone PAPER 40k TANKS. PAPER! I'm pretty sure that guy didn't get his money back from PayPal.

There are many ways to make sure everybody has a good experience on this site, and IMHO following Lowest Ships First at all times is one of the best.
actually I do have some deals under my belt here, but like I said the feedback system here is flawed and that's a discussion for another time. as far as those with feedback and those without feedback, in my experience i'd had more problems with those who have lots of feedback compared to those who have few if any, but that is my personal experience, furthermore how many of you can say they have been on the front page of the WallStreet Journal for their sales on eBay ? I can.

as it goes when it comes to timely shipping my personal best is sending a package from California to Germany in 4 days, in other words it went from me and arrived to them within 4 days, and it was not sent express either. my turn around time is if an item is paid for by Noon (if a business day) it goes out that day, if not it goes out the next business day.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Scarapis wrote:actually I do have some deals under my belt here, but like I said the feedback system here is flawed and that's a discussion for another time. as far as those with feedback and those without feedback, in my experience i'd had more problems with those who have lots of feedback compared to those who have few if any, but that is my personal experience, furthermore how many of you can say they have been on the front page of the WallStreet Journal for their sales on eBay ? I can.

as it goes when it comes to timely shipping my personal best is sending a package from California to Germany in 4 days, in other words it went from me and arrived to them within 4 days, and it was not sent express either. my turn around time is if an item is paid for by Noon (if a business day) it goes out that day, if not it goes out the next business day.
Other than padding out our various egos, is this thread going anywhere?

Any system is flawed. Fortunately for us, however, we like this system, flaws and all. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you like eBay so much and are such a power seller there, why even bother with little ol' Bartertown?
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

pretre wrote:
Scarapis wrote:actually I do have some deals under my belt here, but like I said the feedback system here is flawed and that's a discussion for another time. as far as those with feedback and those without feedback, in my experience i'd had more problems with those who have lots of feedback compared to those who have few if any, but that is my personal experience, furthermore how many of you can say they have been on the front page of the WallStreet Journal for their sales on eBay ? I can.

Other than padding out our various egos, is this thread going anywhere?

Any system is flawed. Fortunately for us, however, we like this system, flaws and all. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you like eBay so much and are such a power seller there, why even bother with little ol' Bartertown?

actually not here to really sell but to peruse things I might like to buy, where in my stance is appropriate for that.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Scarapis wrote:
pretre wrote:I'm not trying to be mean, but if you like eBay so much and are such a power seller there, why even bother with little ol' Bartertown?
actually not here to really sell but to peruse things I might like to buy, where in my stance is appropriate for that.
I didn't ask if you were here to sell. I asked why you were here. You can buy things on eBay as well. So why not pop over there? Why are you bothering with us if we are so flawed?
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

pretre wrote:
Scarapis wrote:
pretre wrote:I'm not trying to be mean, but if you like eBay so much and are such a power seller there, why even bother with little ol' Bartertown?
I didn't ask if you were here to sell. I asked why you were here. You can buy things on eBay as well. So why not pop over there? Why are you bothering with us if we are so flawed?

because always looking for that great deal.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I'm locking this thread.

It's obvious it is derailing heavily.

Especially since the OP has said his issue has been resolved. If you guys want to create a thread about why eBay is better than Bartertown (or vice versa) please do so in the correct forum.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm going to agree with 3e, here, with his lock. The thread's been thoroughly derailed and is no longer necessary.
Anyone who wants to continue the discussion at hand, PLEASE feel free to start a new thread. We have no problems allowing anyone to discuss why we may or may not be the best or worst option out there or how flawed our system is or is not.
...just make sure that you stay respectful to those involved in the discussion and don't let it get personal. Some comments above came awful close to that.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”