Not sure what to do here, advice appreciated

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Charles_Carmichael ( 148 )
BTown Regular

Not sure what to do here, advice appreciated

Post by Charles_Carmichael »

On August 1, I made a cash offer on a bunch of Warmachine models from another trader to the amount of $250. He counter offered that I pay shipping, which he said would be $20, and that he would refund any excess money to me if shipping was less than $20.

I agreed to these terms and paid via Paypal within a couple of hours to the email address he provided. He said he would try and get the models out on Saturday as August 1 was a Friday.

Three days later, on Monday, I PMed him asking if the models had been sent. Before I received a reply from him, the models got to me. Several of them had broken parts, and I was missing stat cards for every single model, and pieces of 3 models. I PMed him asking him to send out the remaining cards and missing model pieces. I also noted that he'd used a flat rate priority box and that he said he would refund me excess money (it would have been about $7)

He replied telling me that he had only received $262 from me (Paypal taking its cut) and would not be willing to refund me money. While I was a little annoyed by this, I just wanted my cards to go with my models and told him I'd be okay with him just sending me the cards and missing pieces.

Four days later I PM him again asking if he has shipped the cards, and I don't get a reply despite his reading the PM. Four days after that I PM him again asking for confirmation that he has shipped the cards. He replied later that day and told me that his wife said she had shipped the cards in an envelope.

Today I got the envelope in question, and once again there are a pair of cards missing. I have PMed him again asking for either cards or sufficient paypal to cover ordering new ones, but at this point I feel like leaving good feedback when everything is finally said and done with would be misleading to other potential traders.

SO! The question is then, am I in the right by leaving negative feedback here? I know that this is basically over ~$10 and a couple of cards, but it's been 10 days since I asked for original shipping of the cards and the ones he sent were still incomplete. I would not trade with this person again.

I really appreciate any advice and feedback. Thanks!
Awaiting feedback from: gawdsgift
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Re: Not sure what to do here, advice appreciated

Post by imp522 »

Charles_Carmichael wrote:
SO! The question is then, am I in the right by leaving negative feedback here? I know that this is basically over ~$10 and a couple of cards, but it's been 10 days since I asked for original shipping of the cards and the ones he sent were still incomplete. I would not trade with this person again.
You've answered your own question right there.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
saramin ( 532 )
Resident Trader

Post by saramin »

my initial response would be to leave neutral feedback with explanation that although you received everything it was a long process fraught with problems on his side. or something to that effect
Trade Rules: all unless otherwise arranged
Lower Rating ships first, but like ratings can ship at the same time.
Trades are retail for retail.
Shipping is always to be priority mail with dc#'s exchanged.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

but he didn't receive everything and some of what he received was broken. That's a bad trade.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

As long as you keep your PM history for 30 days (to protect yourself, in case he chooses to refute the reference), and everything you've said accurately represents what happened, you certainly look justified to me.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
saramin ( 532 )
Resident Trader

Post by saramin »

yeah, I was sorta assuming everything would be made right ... eventually
Trade Rules: all unless otherwise arranged
Lower Rating ships first, but like ratings can ship at the same time.
Trades are retail for retail.
Shipping is always to be priority mail with dc#'s exchanged.
BTown Regular

Alright guys, thanks for the input. He read my PM yesterday and hasn't replied today. I'll give him another day or so and just leave negative feedback. Thanks for the advice on keeping the PM history for the trade, I will definitely do so.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

You could also SNAD him with PayPal.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
BTown Regular

What does SNAD mean? At this point I'm just happy to be done with it all and I don't want further nastiness, it was only like 8 bucks and he was right in that he received less than he expected due to paypal fees
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Significantly not as described.
Anyone wo uses Paypal knows theres fees. You either cover the fees yourself or charge more to get the other person to cover them.
It's in their fee chart.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Charles_Carmichael wrote:What does SNAD mean? At this point I'm just happy to be done with it all and I don't want further nastiness, it was only like 8 bucks and he was right in that he received less than he expected due to paypal fees
Nobody cares. LOL
PayPal takes fees. That is HIS to deal with.
Also, he can process a PayPal REFUND. they take X from him, where X is the amount he actually got and PayPal refunds the fee amount to make up the difference.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
BTown Regular

I sent him a message explaining why I was leaving negative feedback and he exploded rather unhappily and asked me to please not communicate with him. At this point I'm only going to pressure him for any further considerations if he decides to take further action, such as the negative reference he threatened to leave me.

I'm just happy it's done!
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

I'm sure MM or another mod will be interested to hear about this in detail. Threatening a neg ref is a violation of the rules. Doesn't sound like he was overly pleasant or competent to begin with.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

Yes.. We do highly care about "retributive negative feedback" and it is a BIG violation. I am sure MM and I, and probably any other staffer you choose, would appreciate knowing more information.

-Porkuslime
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Agreed.
Even the threat of a negative reference can be a bannable offense.
Please, forward that PM and your immediately previous PM (simply copying & pasting them into a PM is enough, provided you separate them by using the [quote] code around them) to me and Porkuslime.

Eric

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”