Advice for a trade going slightly sideways

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Neian ( 156 )
Journeyman Trader

Advice for a trade going slightly sideways

Post by Neian »

I need some advice, here are the quick details.

I worked out to buy some assembled miniatures from someone based on an ad they placed with them shipping first. No damage was listed in the ad and through correspondence the seller confirmed their reference cards were present. The miniatures arrived in a timely manner, but there are some issues with them. One miniature is missing several parts, not little parts like spike/etc, but a shield, several banners, etc. There is a unit that is short one model, all models are missing their reference cards and shipping damage occurred to some of the models (some minor, one major bit that would require a replacement part).

When I reach out to the seller, their response was to send them back, one sentence, no other comments.

By their response and obvious missing components/model/reference cards in the package I don't feel like the seller went into this trade being upfront.

So my questions:

1. In your guys/gals opinion does this constitute a negative reference?
2. Should I ask for money to ship them back or just eat the $10
My Trade Rules
1. Lower Rating Ships First for Trades
2. Payment expected before shipment. I only accept and pay through PayPal.
3. Please communicate. If you don't like my offer just say "no thanks" and I will do the same.
4. If there is no communications after 24 hours then consider our trade/sell, null and void
5. Any delays or changes in when something will ship will be communicated in a timely manner, I EXPECT the same!
osloco ( 210 )
Resident Trader

Re: Advice for a trade going slightly sideways

Post by osloco »

Talk to one of Btowns awesome moderators about it! They may have heard this story before, or know a faster way to resolve it. Did you send or pay them first?
1.) It may turn into a negative. Give them a reasonable chance to make it right. Were you clear and specific with what was wrong?
2.) Can you send them back COD? Do not eat the money, it is his/her screw up/misrepresentation. I would take pictures of it all, including the packaging and postage stuff in case it does go further sideways.

Sorry for slightly all over place response, I am super over tired.
Please ship to my by post office, couriers pull all kinds of shenanigans with customs fees
Neian ( 156 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Neian »

osloco wrote:Talk to one of Btowns awesome moderators about it! They may have heard this story before, or know a faster way to resolve it. Did you send or pay them first?
1.) It may turn into a negative. Give them a reasonable chance to make it right. Were you clear and specific with what was wrong?
2.) Can you send them back COD? Do not eat the money, it is his/her screw up/misrepresentation. I would take pictures of it all, including the packaging and postage stuff in case it does go further sideways.

Sorry for slightly all over place response, I am super over tired.
Oscloco,

No I did not pay first, they had a lower rating.

To answer your questions:

1.) I gave them a very detailed list of the missing parts, which model was missing, all cards were not present, and which model has a severely damage part. Included in the pm was that I did not consider their part of the deal complete and I required the missing parts/model/cards before I would remit payment. Their response was to send them back, again only a single sentence.
2.) I will have to explore this, I have never shipped something COD before.
My Trade Rules
3. Please communicate. If you don't like my offer just say "no thanks" and I will do the same.
4. If there is no communications after 24 hours then consider our trade/sell, null and void
5. Any delays or changes in when something will ship will be communicated in a timely manner, I EXPECT the same!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Shipping COD means you'll have to pay for shipping and the COD fee. So, whatever your COD amount is, you'll need to make sure you're asking for enough.
If you tell the clerk at the USPS what happened and how you need to calculate the COD amount, they should be helpful.

Try not to do that, though.

First, PM the other party. Tell them that, per site Admins, it's not your responsiblity to take a financial loss for their mistake. Tell them that they will need to send you the amount for shipping the items back. Ask for it via PayPal and via "Friends and Family," so that you don't have to pay the fees. When they send your money, you'll return the items.
If they balk, PM me and we'll see what can't be worked out.

The bottom line is that we do not expect you to have a negative impact to your bank account for someone else's mistake or misleading ad.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Neian ( 156 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Neian »

PM Sent
My Trade Rules

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”