New thoughts and rules for the painting contests???

Chop early, view often! Painting, Converting, and other neat things!

Moderator: Moderators

CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Re: New thoughts and rules for the painting contests???

Post by CMSheats »

Thanks for the link dimes! That looks like a pretty nice system there! :D

The more I think about scheduled painting contests the more I like the idea. That would work alot better than the spontaneous contests we have. :wink:
year long painting contests with themes each month, smaller prizes each month and each quarter (think $10-$15), and large ($100-$200) prizes at the end of the year.
I love this idea. I am assuming these are just donations from various commpanys/people?

The only problem that I see... is that we don't have alot of people interested in this right now. But I know if we would get prizes that were larger, I know alot of painters would come out and start painting for it. But we can't really get any donations unless we have people who partake in the contest. XD Lol.

But the smaller contests throughout the year and the larger one at the end is probably a good way to get more people involved.

Thanks again Dimes for the link/info!

Chris
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Now that Christmas is over, I can start putting the next painting contest together!

So from out 2 pages of discussion, it looks like we will be trying out the new rules, and having a limited number of contests a year. (This number is yet to be decided.)

I will open another thread shortly for the first painting contest of 2013 as soon as I have the rules and dates all figured out.

Thank you for all the input on the new rules guys!

Chris
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
swmalone ( 30 )
BTown Regular

Post by swmalone »

With the holidays I kinda stopped following, but I really liked a lot of the suggestions that Travis made earlier. I am not a pro painter but I really do enjoy painting my models, and have been told by some that I do quite well at it. I guess competing would be a chance for me to see if people are blowing smoke when they say that. I understand the free advertising aspect for pro-painters, but I think that just because I don't want to become a pro-painter doesn't mean that my submission should mean any less. I understand that if you are charging individuals either to submit bare models for painting, or charging to submit a painted model that then there should be some difference in prizes. I do think, however, that you would get much greater participation by offering prizes, no matter how small, and not charging for submissions.

I would also suggest that when you start the tournament that you post in every single forum on the site, if that is allowed. I don't often check the contests page because it doesn't frequently get updated, but I always look at the forums for the games I'm interested in.

Just a couple of more thoughts and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

As someone who entered the first 3 contests and won one of them I think that thing that frustraited people the most was the fact that out of 100's of members on bartertown it only ever seemed to be like 15 people that ever voted....and I think one time only 5 people voted and they ended up closing the poll down and reopening it again later after begging people to vote.

I don't know if it is possible but along with the idea of advertising in ALL of the forums (as I also neglect to check this forum lately as well).
Second if there was some way that the admins could force everyone to vote at log on...like a pop-up that took you to the pics...I know that is probably never gonna happen but having only 10 people take the time to click a radial button is kind of frustraiting.
swmalone ( 30 )
BTown Regular

Post by swmalone »

I honestly think just advertising the contests in all of the forums would get more people to participate and to vote. I really didn't even know there were painting competitions until a couple of months ago and I have been on here for a couple of years. My main focus is trading, but if a notice about a painting contest popped up in the trade forum I am constantly monitoring it would get my attention, it would most likely get me to vote as well. I think forced voting is never a good idea, and I think unnecessary with increased exposure.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Advertising it would be great. We did that in one of the most recent contests.. and we got alot of votes. Sense then, it kinda died.

So mods, any chance we could get a sticky thread or announcement put in all the forums when we get a voting poll up?

Also, I think we are going to skip the fee/prizes this contest. I will see about finding a sponsor for it.. if anyone is interested in sponsoring let me know!

Chris
swmalone ( 30 )
BTown Regular

Post by swmalone »

I have put more thought into it and I don't even know if it would need to be all of the forums, perhaps just forums that deal with miniatures and hobby supplies. Of course all of them would be even more exposure. I'm kind of just thinking as I type now.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

350+ members on line at any one time all through-out the day.

~30ish members voted last contest....

I'm just saying....

If your gonna advertise then make it stand out to draw people in there. like a mass email with a link to the voting page or a pop-up window the sends you there first at your next log on.

One just takes an admin to spam the global email listing on these forums....the other takes someone with some web development skills to create the one time pop-up at initial log on.
WowGiveUpOnLifePlz ( 20 )
BTown Regular

Post by WowGiveUpOnLifePlz »

Bluemeanie? Rofl I hope your not an amateur mycologist.

Anyways I am more than willing to do this, but I would want to paint my own model.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

Skaw band and a reference to the Beetles yellow submarine movie...evil guys were BlueMeanies :)

Thanks for making me look something up though :P
LunaticDreams ( 64 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by LunaticDreams »

and here i just thought your name was in reference to a wrestler from years ago. He had blue hair haha
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Ok! So I am getting ready to put up the next painting contest finally!

So for the most part, it looks like we are going to be the old rules, except with the exception of people being allowed to post models for other people to paint.

Both people (Wether you paint your own model, or somebody elses..) will be allowed to receive prizes.

Prizes will be donation based. Anyone can donate to the contest.

Thank you, and I will get the first contest posted soon. And please post with any questions about the contest.

Chris
IceLord ( 478 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by IceLord »

Is there going to be any more contests soon?
People who owe me references: ONEYEDWILLY; Drain

"May all your hits be crits" Pittsburgh Gaming Crew

Return to “Bartertown Contests”