Descent 2.0 miniatures scale and question

An area to talk about CCGs, Board Games, Dice.. anything NON Miniatures or RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Descent 2.0 miniatures scale and question

Post by porkuslime »

OK.. so, I am looking at acquiring Decent 2.0 as a family game, ala Heroquest.

For this to really work for me, I need to know 2 things.

Are the miniatures in scale with GW/Mantic/Reaper figs, and could then have cross-game benefits..

and..

How complex are the rules? My family is a fan of Fluxx games, SDE, Catan and Forbidden Island etc..

-P
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
kwiker ( 48 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Descent 2.0 miniatures scale and question

Post by kwiker »

Have no idea if you still need this info but, here it is for anyone who is looking (if you're here just for scale comparison pics... hit the link at the end):

I picked up a copy a while back thinking along the same lines - wanting a game that my group could play and also offer it's "guts" up for other games at times. My findings are:

1. Figures are definitely smaller then the standard 28mm out there edging closer to 25mm. (See pics)
a. One way to circumvent this scale difference is to swap out the included hero figures for 28mm equivalent.
b. If you are looking for minis that are in the appropriate Descent scale, I would suggest the Alkemy line by Kraken Editions. (See pics)
c. Monsters aren't as adversely affected - given that they are larger by nature. I'd say just eyeball it.
2. The puzzle-fit game board is on a 1"x1" grid - great for use with other dungeon crawl games & RPG!

Mechanics-wise, the game is very different then the original Descent board game (if you've played that). If you are looking for a game where you can pick up and play like FLUXX... this is not going to be it. I did notice that you have SDE on your list of games - Descent is quite similar in many respects (SDE - Consul vs Descent - Overlord). Since you have experience with SDE, it's just a matter of the "designated game master" reading through the rules and then "condensing" it down for the other players.

Due to the similarities, my suggestion is to do a quick youtube search of a game "review" or "playtest" to see for yourself if there is enough variety/difference for you.

LINK to my flickr with pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/108800369@ ... 675507764/

Hope that helps.
--------------------------------------------------------
Photo gallery of HAVES:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/108800369 ... 340100034/
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

Thank you very much for the pictures!

I wonder if rebased Heroscape would work.. the one lady in there looks about the right size.

After talking about it with the family, though.. they decided that SDE is about their speed and inclination, and not wanted to start another system..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
kwiker ( 48 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kwiker »

porkuslime wrote:Thank you very much for the pictures!
Glad to help... you lucked out there though - just so happened to have the boardgame on my desk.
porkuslime wrote:I wonder if rebased Heroscape would work.. the one lady in there looks about the right size.
The elf chick looks ALMOST right, however it is one of the smaller-framed figs in the Heroscape line-up. As usual, YMMV.
porkuslime wrote:After talking about it with the family, though.. they decided that SDE is about their speed and inclination, and not wanted to start another system..
I figured as much - the chibi-JRPG feel to SDE makes Dungeon Crawls and "D&D" much more approachable to a wider audience. Good choice!
--------------------------------------------------------
Photo gallery of HAVES:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/108800369 ... 340100034/

Return to “Card, Board, and all other gaming”