Dungeon crawler board games

An area to talk about CCGs, Board Games, Dice.. anything NON Miniatures or RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

jdelrio22 ( 518 )
Expert Trader

Dungeon crawler board games

Post by jdelrio22 »

So I was at MoA over the weekend and I noticed a lovely box called Descent Journeys In The Dark.

I do have a group of friends that may be interested in trying it out but I was curious if there were other board games that were recommended. The sales guy stated that the games take typically 2 hours or more to finish with the 1st scenario and that they get longer with scenarios afterwards.

I have played RPG games on the PC but I have not played something like this where we have a dungeon master or board format. Any thoughts on if this is a good start or if there is something out there that would be a better start.
Ralph ( 208 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Dungeon crawler board games

Post by Ralph »

I have never played any of the Descent games, but by reputation 2 hours sounds optimistic to me, even if you were familiar with the rule set.
Here is a better resource to evaluate the game:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1722 ... n-the-dark

Also, BGG is a better forum to post this question as you're targeting an audience more familiar with board games.

Good Luck
Ralph
XBoxDude79 ( 430 )
Expert Trader

Post by XBoxDude79 »

Aye, 5-6 hours is more realistic, don't start if you don't have time to finish. It may seem like a long time, but it passes very quickly. Ralph gave a good reference to BGG, I know this is a little threadomancy, but seeing as we just ran three games this past weekend, I thought I'd reply.

Descent is a great game to start out with, I'd recommend it for anyone who likes dungeon crawlers. It's easy to learn and once a group gets on a roll, you can push through some of the scenarios quite quickly. I've got Journeys and Well of Darkness, but I hear Sea of Blood is the best expansion.
Lower rating? You ship or pay first. PP fees are buyers responsibility.
smilbuta ( 148 )
Resident Trader

Post by smilbuta »

One thing to consider on Descent its DM vs Players,
I Prefer the WOTC Board games, Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon and Legend of Drizzt.

They are coop 1-5 players and game runs about 1-2 hrs. Excellent miniatures and tiles pieces.

These are my preferred Dungeon crawls , DungeonQuest(3r ed) is a close second.
----------------------------------------------
My Trading Rules:
NOTICE: NO INTERNATIONAL TRADES OR SALES PERIOD.
1) I expect Bartertown courtesy during trades, Low Rating Ships First.
2) I never send PayPal as GIFT and you should not either.
3) Any Bad Refs on your REP in the last year, then you ship first.(Negotiable based on over all REP).
4) If your buying, you pay first.
5) If you have '0' Refs we cannot do business.

READ--->PLEASE DO NOT POST REPLY'S IN MY THREADS, PM ME.

Return to “Card, Board, and all other gaming”