Orcs and Gobbos

Talk about all GW fantasy here

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Orcs and Gobbos

Post by kturock »

I'm thinking about starting and O&G army. I know they, more so than probably any other army, have a wide variety of play styles. All orcs, all gobbos, big monsters, fast movers, et c. And all types of weird/fun rules. What are people opinions of models and units that are must have or never have for the certain types of armies. I see alot of spiders and spider riders on feebay. I recall some of the old horde armies from the past.

I have several armies now; OK, WoC, dwarfs, LM, DE, deamons. I know I'll get beastmen again sometime in the future. Actually I'm hoping that they are part of the new box set when it releases withing the next 6 monthes.

I had skaven years ago and loved playing them for the wow factor. Wow as in , wow dude. You just killed yourself. It wasn't a matter of wiining & losing with them; but who killed me off. My opponent or me. :-)

Thanks.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Re: Orcs and Gobbos

Post by kturock »

Wow, 12 views and no replies.

So no one plays orcs& gobbos or against them?
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I had a full 3000 pts all Night Gobbo army ready to paint, 2 massive blocks of 80-100 spears each, another large block of bows complemented by loads of big bosses, doom divers, rock launchers and squigs. From my research that's one of the ways to play them. The idea of painting that many turned my off and I sold them, so the only experience I have is theoretical.

They always seems like a fun army to play, if not hyper-competitive.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
joseanes ( 16 )
New Trader

Post by joseanes »

They are not predictable. Just fun.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

any hints on how to take on/out the new all undead armies?

Yatsuo ( 60 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Yatsuo »

Orcs and Gobbos....as long as you aren't expecting them to do what you want them to do, you'll have fun :) I assume you've read the rules about them so you know how unpredictable they are, but a few lessons I've learned....be careful with your fanatics....most people, as soon as they see night goblin regiments on the table, will do whatever they can to get an expendable unit near them to trigger the fanatics, then let them (as they almost always did to me) randomize back into your own units and cause chaos.
Be careful of fear-causing armies...your leadership is suspect at best so keep a hero in each unit for the leadership bonus..they are dirt cheap anyway, and may save your unit from running, or get them to make that charge that they may otherwise not initiate.
It really depends on your playstyle, but this army really does allow you to play 3 different army types all within the same codex...Orcs, Goblins, and a mix of both, with variations within each list that allow you to make all kinds of choices. I collect(ed) everything I could from these armies 'cause I loved the mini's, loved the randomness of the army, and this army really does force you to not take the game seriously....I mean, how can you take it seriously when you units start squabbling in the middle of the battlefield, while a unit of Brettonian knights is getting ready to charge them-can anyone say oblivious? If you are one of those players who wants to win every time and doesn't like surprises, this army is definitely not for you...go play Skaven...you get the same size army without the randomness attached to them(or at least not nearly as much randomness), you can shoot into melee (at least you could the last time I played them) and you get the large variety of units and seige weapons that orcs and gobbos give you.
I collect both because I just love the stupidly large army you can field with both, and the mini's within each army.
If this is a cash deal, buyer will pay 1/2 agreed price + actual shipping prior to the items being shipped (regardless of whether I am buying or selling, I feel this is the fairest way to share the risk of a cash deal-if this bothers you, please shop elsewhere)
Buyer will pay all actual shipping.
I live in Canada, so be aware of that before we finalize a deal.
If this is a trade, lowest rating ships first!
Still waiting for feedback from:
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I ran Skave years ago because I liked the question; who would kill me, my opponent or me?
O&G seem to be the same way. What will blow up and when?

As for fear, almost half the players are playing someform of undead, because of the new models.
Also their are alot of elves, 3-4 high elves and 1-2 wood elves.
I was going to play Dwarfs, but since I played Necrons in the 40k league, I got tired of being the only player not having casting. [ I did start a book of Grudges.]

I have a friend who is selling off his O&G army. I'll buy some and sell the rest for him.

Dawink ( 20 )
Trade Novice

Post by Dawink »

Im a WOC player and will say that O&G are a tough match for us. Of Savage horde deathstar is a mean beast to deal with, unless you purple sun it. Doom divers can kill 3 out of 5 Knights and one random fanatic can take down a DP. So they can be crazy good or they can turn on themselves.
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

I play a NG only army. My general list is Skarsnik, a big boss, a couple of warbosses, couple of level 2 ng shaman, 2 blocks of guys with Handweapon/sheild (about 50 each) 20 archers lots of fantatics (duh), 3 bolt throwers, couple of doom divers and 20 wolves with git killa, and 10 squig hoppers.

It's .. umm.. reallly competitive.. except when it isnt. But I've played them since 3rd edition and even when everything goes pear shaped, both shamans blow up on turn 1, everyone animosities and beats each other to death it's still a blast. Because sometimes people will charge you with their super expensive 6 model unit and take 15 wounds from fantatics and then have gobbla gobble up their general. All the while you set there with a stuborn block of silly goblins with sharpened sticks and guile.

Always cunningly brutal.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Some things that I own and rarely field:

Rock Lobbers. I love the thought of them but compared to doom divers (and lets be honest whats more gobliny then being thrown through the air with the greatest of GLEES!) they just don't hold water.

Giants: I love them but they are too fickle for me. I hate having to roll to see what does what.

Cave Squigs: I have a block of 40 that never see any play. They're solid but there always seems to be something else to spend points on (lots of times it's just more gobbos). Plus they are a little harder to get a hold of.

I used to play a lot of orcs but ... well I guess I'm a sneaky git at heart.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Noble Korhedron ( 46 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Noble Korhedron »

Pardon me for being pedantic, but I believe the wolf rider character is "Gitilla", not "Git Killa"....?
Regards,

Noble Korhedron.

References:
I owe you:
Currently no-one.
You owe me:
Currently no-one.

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Sneaky gits are Hobgoblins. ;-)

Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Which makes it even more sneaky that I run a NG army! UNDA COVA!

Also: Yeah, that's the guy. Posting from the phone while DW is driving is always.. dicey.

Offers good for 24hrs.

Admiral Underpants ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by Admiral Underpants »

OnG is one of the most *fun* armies in the game, if you don't care about consistently winning. They are a very random army, but also one of the stronger ones. The problems are that they are the most random and unpredictable. You can never set up things, because it never fails that you miss a roll and the entire thing is ruined... Manglers, Fanatics, Pumpwagons, spells.

A good thing to remember, is that you ALWAYS run 2 Rock Lobbers, 2 Doom Divers and 2 Mangler Squigs. These are your "core" of the army... I've always ran Savage Orc Big'Uns because they are quite possibly the strongest core unit in the game. Warriors of Chaos are a close 2nd, but since you can field 40x Savages for the same price as 20x Warriors, is why Savages beat them out. Always run a lvl 4 Orc Shaman in hopes you get Foot of Gork and always run some kind of Night Goblin Shaman to hope to steal some dispel dice. Also -- The most important thing you can do, it put a Black Orc BSB inside any BIG unit of Savages, and a Black Orc inside any big unit of Goblins (if you plan on going NG heavy army). If they fail their Animosity test, the Black Orc will just do a couple wounds and let them still act normal.

The rest of the army is completely random and up to you. Want to run fanatics? Cool run a bunker of NG. Want to run Monster Killing Orcs? Field some Black orcs with Flaming Banner or Grimgor.

I moved away from OnG for a more predictable army of WoC. They do similar things, but ultimately not having to roll for Animosity and having a consistent magic phase is more fun for me. I love OnG and always will, but I love to win consistently way more!
I've been dealing with minis for years. Just because I'm new here, doesn't mean I'm an idiot. Please refrain from treating me as such during our negotiations.

1. I support that the Lower Rating ships first, unless another deal is made.
2. I will take pictures of all my packaging and receipts during a trade. Please do the same.
3. I understand that "Real Life" happens, but please keep me in the loop if something takes place that hampers your ability to adhere to your agreements.

Return to “The Olde Worlde”