Mind flayers and related freakiness :-)

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Mind flayers and related freakiness :-)

Post by Linrandir »

Good morning, everyone. :-)

I'd like to ask for some generalized brainstorming help for the D&D campaign I'm running. The PCs are starting the next campaign arc in which the Mind Flayers and their ilk feature heavily, with guest appearances from both the Githyanki and Githzerai. I'm trying to figure out what might make for interesting and unconventional miniatures for all of the above.

For example, the "traditional" mind flayer is depicted in robes and looking fairly mage-like. The Gith (both factions) are basically skinny yellow humanoids with pointy hair. I've looked on Pinterest and Google image search, and have found a couple examples of conversions I really like. My current favorite uses a Genestealer or Genestealer Cult Acolyte head with the tentacles green-stuffed on. Add that to pretty much any-body and you're in good shape. That said, I would like to have some (preferably tentacle-faced) cannon fodder between the PCs and the Mind Flayers. My thought is that they could be thralls subjected to experimentation and/or ceremorphosis. Any ideas?

Also, because I'm a bastard: I found a Heroclix Brainiac flying skull-ship to represent the Elder Brain of the Mind Flayer colony. :twisted: :twisted:
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
gamefusion ( 616 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Mind flayers and related freakiness :-)

Post by gamefusion »

The Cephalyx models from Warmachine might fit your needs, depending on how crazy you want to go.

They're part of the Cryx range. Not tentacle faced, but they're in that same creepy, physically weak, domineering villain category as mind flayers
US Trades Only, please! International shipping is just getting too expensive.
The object of a game is to win. The point of a game is to have fun.
My trading rules:
1. Lower rating ships first, unless we agree otherwise.
2. Delivery confirmation is required on all US trades.
3. I will not mark an international package as a "gift". It's a felony, so please don't ask.

References owed to me by: noexit1982, paintballparkhurst, BrPrometheus, porkfriedricy, busby
hondaluth ( 62 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by hondaluth »

Also, the Warmachine/Hordes Skorne line are (IMHO) are an oriental take on Githyanki.
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

First, thank you both for the ideas.

I had thought about the Cephalyx; the helmet-face-coverings are in keeping with the mind flayer slick-suits. For some reason I hadn't considered the Cephalyx drudges as cannon fodder. That would save me an absurd amount of time, and I certainly have enough of them in parts to make a few credible Squidwards. :-)

I had not considered the Githyanki -> Skorne, and now I can't unsee that. At least now I know what skin tone the few Skorne I own will have. And none of that absurd swoopy hairstyle the Githyanki have either...
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”