What colors?

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

What colors?

Post by kturock »

Ok. here are my hormagants. I'm going more for a real bug, like a grasshopper or cicada look.
What color should I paint the talons, claws?

Primered with spray Zandri Dust, Washed with Seraphin Sepia. Then dry brushed Ushabti Bone, Was with Sepia again. Tops/crests are Heavy dry brush of Dry Hellion green then Technical Waystone Green.

Bases are Texture Agrellan Earth and then dipped into the OOP Citadel Sand, with Middenland Tufts.

Aldo the base on the left, I completed coated the edge with sand. Base on the right is just the Agrellan Earth. Trying to hide the washers on the bottom of the bases.

Thoughts? I can't make up my mind to go Dark, like a deep brown or black. Or a deep green.
I experimented with a heavy sepia wash on the right one's claws.

Maybe a blue/black even?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Re: What colors?

Post by YoungWolf777 »

If you want to stay authentic, go with a transition to black at the ends of the claws and talons. Black bands around the legs and at the joints would help as well.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

YoungWolf777 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:32 am
If you want to stay authentic, go with a transition to black at the ends of the claws and talons. Black bands around the legs and at the joints would help as well.
Brown at the tips? Bone at the tips? and then black at the wrist?

And I suck at bands, thus why drybrush and shades/washes.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

I’d go from brown at the “wrist” to black at the tips.

They key to any good paint scheme is you want some visual contrast. Generally you will need three colors in varying amounts to make a good scheme. Primary (in this case your bone-ish color), Secondary (here is your green plates), and an Accent color. This is what you're searching for. You want something that won't get lost against the bone & green. Since yours are both midtone-ish colors, you either need something light/bright or dark/super muted. White talons might work, but they will look "unnatural" in your "natural" scheme, so black/dark brown would be the way to go.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

This one is fun as it's a fairly complex scheme, but the bit of red tones on the stubby wings give a great contrast to all of the greens & browns.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Here's what I ended up with. I ended up painting them Abaddon Black and then Soulstone Blue.
I tried Guilliman Glaze and 2 different blue inks I had. With flash and 1 without [top].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Looking good. I'd do the rest of the claws the same as well as the eyes. Black eyes will be menacing.

I'd also recommend outlining the green scales with a dark green or brown to help them stand out from the rest of the body.

Coming along nicely!
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Was thinking about doing the feet like that. The eyes, I was thinking red. But maybe black.
I have sharpies for either.
Outlining is out for 2 reasons.
1, I don't have the hand for it, thus why everything is washed and drybrushed.
2, I wanted the camo look, without the detail.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Finished, I painted the eyes Spiritstone Red. The feet and other claws just black. With and without flash.

YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Congrats. :)

Now go forth and multiply those bugs!
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

They are for Fill Team, so I don't plan on doing a lot; yet.
Next are Termagants and Genestealers.
I got a Lictor on the way.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”