Bartertown Tale of Warlords

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Bartertown Tale of Warlords

Post by 3eland »

You asked for it - So I have finally gotten around to getting it put together.

So, what is a Tale of Warlords?

Tale of Warlords works in many ways, whether it is a simple way to keep track of your progress, meet monthly goals, or push you to doing better. You start off by stating what you wish to do in a certain amount of time. Then, you do it!

How is Bartertown going to take on running a Tale of Warlords?

It's simple really. At the beginning of the year, members will comment what their yearly goal will be (This year we are going to start the Tale of Warlords for May 1st since we are already into the year). This can be anything hobby related. Have 5000 points of Space marines you want to finish by the end of the year? Jot it down!

At the end of the year, anyone who completed or exceeded their goal will gain a special title: "Warlord of 2019". No competing against others - you're simply competing against yourself - pushing yourself to get your hobby goals done.

We suggest commenting with a goal that is reasonable to meet - nothing too easy and definitely nothing too hard. You know more about yourself than we do - So try and set a goal you know you can handle but also push yourself with.

Some questions/answers.

Can models painted for Tale of Warlords be submitted to the Bartertown Painting Competition? Yes! Feel free to post them in the painting competition and get points. Remember - Tale of Warlords is meant to be more about your own personal hobby journey and not competing against others, but it doesn't stop you from using this to fuel points for the competition!

Where will ToW be tracked? Everyone who wishes to join will comment below with what their goal for the year will be. I will then add it to this post near the bottom. As people finish things for their goal, they can post pictures here and I will update the list with what they have done.

Should we post progress shots here? We ask that only completed pictures be posted here. We encourage EVERYONE to start their own Tale of Warlords thread where they can post to their heart's content. We will even pin it for you!

Are there any limitations to the ToW goal? The only limitation is yourself. If you set a goal you know will be easy and not worth the challenge, then the only person you are hurting is yourself. "Paint a unit of Marines" for example, is a goal that the majority of you will find extremely easy to complete - so giving yourself a year to complete it to gain a title is poor practise. However, some people may not get much hobby time at all, so painting a full 10 man unit of Marines MAY be a challenge. You are the only one that can decide this.

Can I post non-ToW related pics here? We ask that you keep this thread strictly ToW only. If your goal is to paint 2000 points of Tyranids and nothing else, posting pictures of your painted Space Marines isn't fulfilling your goal and as such will just clutter the thread. Please keep such posts to your own threads (you can post them in your own ToW thread, just not here). That being said, if your goal is simply "To paint 5000 points of Warhammer", then anything Warhammer related qualifies (just note this means nothing Privateer Press would qualify). You might even go even more "broad" by setting your goal to be "Have a table full of painted miniatures and terrain" - then it really doesn't matter WHAT is completed, just that at the end of the year you have a table full of painted miniatures and terrain.

Do we get any other prizes? Currently at the time, the only prize is the title. You meet your goal - you get a cool title. You fail to meet it? You lose out on the title. In the future, who knows what prizes may be factored in.

Does it have to be strictly painting? Not at all! Anything hobby related qualifies. Have an entire army that needs to be built? Have terrain you want to design and craft? Anything that pertains to your hobby can be used as a goal!

***I will update the Q/A as more get asked***

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Tale of Warlords Goal list
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

3eland - All my Khorne painted (Including Terrain and Prayers).

Wsott1970 - Finish IK/IG army (building and painting). Rebase FEC army and finish the last of the painting needed. Finish Tzeentch and 1k sons army. Rebase the rest of the square bases on the remaining models.

Kturock - Finish assembling and painting Grots. Finish painting Kroot and Tyranid KT. Finish painting second box of Nighthuant as well as the 4-5 Underworld teams. Finish stripping and repainting Crimson Fists. Finish painting OOP Black Dragon and Lord. Finish painting Escher gang.

Warlordgarou - 2 Fully painted 6-pt armies for each of the three ages (SAGA)

Helix89 - 3000 points of Chaos painted and based.

MagickalMemories - finish a Sororitas Knight.

gpfredette - Paint 8 Custom Flayed Ones, 5 Tesla Immortals, 5 Gauss Immortals, 5 additional Tesla Immortals, 5 additional Gauss Immortals, Cryptic with Cloak, 3 Black Templar Primaris Inceptors, 4 Black Templar Intercessors, Black Templar Contemptor Dreadnaught.

Wilsmire - Necron killteam & Remoras painted. Stormsurge bought, converted, built and painted.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Re: Bartertown Tale of Warlords

Post by wsott1970 »

I want to finish my IK/IG force build out/paint... then expand into a full IG build with tanks and a single IK (all need to be painted)... Get my FEC army rebased and ready to roll (90% painted so the rest is downhill)... Have my tzeentch (Fantasy) and 1000 Sons (combined with demons - nurlge/tzeentch) done and painted (replaced all nurgle and tzeentch demons so nearly no paint).

Oh, and rebase every other damn square base I have... lots and lots of work... probably 1000+ bases (maybe more like 2000)... I am afraid of rebasing my painted Undead as they are fragile and I can't replace them (old armored Skeletons all converted with more moderns spears and coffin lid sheilds x 200ish)... then bones will pull right off the base at the ankles... Miracle if it doesn't get clobbered... Strongly considerd leaving it in 8th edition.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

So, just to confirm, your goal is:

Finish your IK/IG army (building and painting).
Rebase your FEC army and finish the last of the painting needed.
Finish your Tzeentch and 1k sons army.

Look good?
~Ryan~

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Yup, and rebase all fantasy models - that is the hard one... others I can easily do... but I am commited to doing the full rebasing as well... NO MORE WIRE HANGERS( oh square bases)! I have always hated that fantasy and 40K didn't use the same base... but it made me angry when I realized how much rebasing this was going to cause...

Now, I see that it was wise to bite the bullet on GWs part... and risky for them.

Sean
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Added! Good luck!

R
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Actually finish anything.
I don't know what I have that's WiP.
Either partially built, but needs to be painted before I can finish.
Partially painted, and needs to be finished.
Stripped or partially stripped.

How's that?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

kturock wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:13 pm
Actually finish anything.
I don't know what I have that's WiP.
Either partially built, but needs to be painted before I can finish.
Partially painted, and needs to be finished.
Stripped or partially stripped.

How's that?
This is 3e's gig, so he gets the final say.

My input, though, is that it seems a bit vague. "Actually finishing anything" could be a single model.

Just my thoughts.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah unfortunately we'd like a little more defined goal.

Is there something in particular in the lot that you wish to get done?

R
~Ryan~

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

In retrospect, "actually finishing anything" could, indeed, be a valid goal for ME.
LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:17 pm
In retrospect, "actually finishing anything" could, indeed, be a valid goal for ME.
LOL

Eric
Well for those who don't have a lot of time on their hands. Simply listing a goal that is reasonable will work.

We know you work, have kids and are going back to school. "Finish my Eldar Kill Team" is a completely valid goal. But we need some sort of goal to track.

Ryan
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Do you want me to list what I've:
Started painting this year?
Started to build this year?
Started to build and paint this year?

Repeat but go back one year.
The repeat again for the previous years.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I just want to know what you want to finish this year. Whether it is "I want to finish a unit of Space Marines" or "I want to finish assembling and painting my Daughters of Khaine". Something that we can track as a goal. Remember this is a goal oriented campaign. Whether the goal is to paint, assemble or both.

R
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I usually 'get motivated' when I'm playing or about to play. When time wanes, so does interest.
I'd like to finish painting the grots I just bought and started to build. The Kroot I got for KT. The bugs I bought for KT. The 2nd box of Nighthaunts I just finished building. Any of the last 4-5 Underworld teams I just built.
I'd like to finish stripping and repainting the Crimson fists I got years ago, and base coated several years ago. I just put the last couple into Purple Power.
I'd like to try to finish the OOP Black Dragon and lord. I just can't get the colors right and have had some professional advice on what to try.

I'd like to finish painting the Necromunda Escher gang I started to paint. We're not playing, so I stopped painting.

I'd really like to finish ANYTHING. You can see I have none completed this year for the painting contest.

I'd be killing in the building contest.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Those are perfect goals. Would you like me to add them to the list?

Kturock - Finish assembling and painting Grots. Finish painting Kroot and Tyranid KT. Finish painting second box of Nighthuant as well as the 4-5 Underworld teams. Finish stripping and repainting Crimson Fists. Finish painting OOP Black Dragon and Lord. Finish painting Escher gang.

The goal (pun always intended) is to see if you can do it this year. This gives you incentive to try and find time. Cool titles are SO in right now.

Ryan
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I have my own title.
Master of half finished projects.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”