2018 Members Assembly Challenge

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: 2018 Members Assembly Challenge

Post by akum »

SO i put my Deepkin army together (still 2 units and eidolon to do)

Figured I should put up some pics/numbers
30 thralls, 3 characters on foot, 1 king, 1 leviadon, 3 sharks, 12 eels, 5 heart renders

681 pieces:

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Holy Crap..
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Suggestions on a point count? LOL

Assembly and painting have around 80 to 100 hours. More assembly than paint (60% to 40% -ish).

There are reposes to the left leg, all 4 left toes and the torso angle, which took a lot of trial, error, and work.
There are TONS of bits from the new GUO kit, a Maggoth Lord kit and the Putrid Blightkings kit.

Additionally, I've got TONS of freehand sculpting with this much greenstuff:

The "corrupted tentacles" on the arms were done by plastic-gluing thin rods into the right place, then sculpting over them tediously.
The infection between the torso and "butt" was done by slowly building it up. Once it was at the right height to meet the torso, I wet the GS and torso, then pushed the torso into place. This allowed the GS to perfectly match the torso when assembled.
The same thing was done with the hole in the carapace with just a little corruption showing.
The hole with tentacles was made in the carapace, then a plastic under-structure was plastic-glued into place. The main sculpting was done, then the bits were glued into place. Once the GS and glue was dry, I used more GS to meld the tentacles into the rest.

Everything was painted separately before assembly.

Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Ok, how many actual pieces were used; from the base model?
How many pieces were 'made', by sculpting?

That'll give us a starting point.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

2 Juves for my Goliath gang for Necromunda. 6 points each. [torso, legs, arm, arm, head, base. Base bits don't count.]
Minor greenstuff. No points.

12 points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

MM..can you come up with a piece count of the actual pieces used. The custom modding will be a modifier of that.
IE 104 pieces. All have heavy, custom modifications, x3 = 312 points. Just as an example.

I belong to a group on FB of old[er] models. They might build 1 model every couple months. Usually a typical military model or car model.
They spend a lot of time, and money, adding extra parts, like metal bits. They replace the poorly sculpted ones for more authentic ones. They file, sand, primer, file, fill, sand multiple times building and then when painting. they actually paint not only in several thin coats, but multiple coats to give the model a realistic look.

My point is, even though the model only came with 78 parts, they bought 35 parts to replace ones they didn't like, and then another 20 parts that were missing or should be there.
That would have 98 points.
The hours sanding and filling would be tough to factor. But the final work shows the effort.
That's where the 'difficulty modifiers' for custom work would come in.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Yeah. I will. I plan on it.
It's just a matter of time. Can't really do it now, as I'm at work and don't have the instructions.
Plus, I have to count all of the non-Knight pieces I used, and those have to be done in person, while holding the model.

Thanks.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

kturock wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:57 pm
MM..can you come up with a piece count of the actual pieces used.
Knight pieces: 81
-many of these pieces are highly modified with additional "damage" and reposing (8 pieces needed moderate to extensive reposing and positioning until correct)

GUO pieces: 22
-many of these are clipped and converted from larger GUO pieces.

Maggoth Lord pieces: 11

Putrid Blightkings & "other" model pieces: 9 (only counting the Guardsman as 1 piece, as he was assembled when I got him)

Plasticard pieces: 10

Total pieces, excluding the actual base, itself: 124
Greenstuff & sculpting as described above.

Thanks, guys.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

So 125 pieces counting the base.

Now I proposing this for discussion.

What level of modifier; x2, x3, x4, more?
Or do you think it should be a flat bonus in points?

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Guess who's been building Kill Teams and Blood Bowl teams and forgetting to count them or take pics?
;-)

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Hmm. Your post reminds me that points were never assigned for my Knight.

Eric

Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Eric that knight is sexy dude in alllll the wrong delicious ways haha.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I never got any input on, and how much, of a bonus should be added.
Last edited by kturock on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

at least 3x
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Ok so the proposal for MM's model is 3x the basic of 125.

Any other opinions.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”