2017 Bartertown Members Painting Challenge.

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: 2017 Bartertown Members Painting Challenge.

Post by kturock »

I think the problem comes from models points are calculated on base size.
Back in the beginning, I asked about CSM and their bases. I have about 50 of the metal models on the original bases. They're 1 point each. But the same model, but on the new larger base is worth more points.
It was 'justified' that the models on the bigger bases are a bit larger than those older models on the smaller bases.

The Scarabs are small models on bigger bases. The question seems to be to be, are they worth more than smaller models on smaller bases, or the same as bigger models on the same base.

My answer is how it was before. This is how it is this year. Next year the points will be, should be, get recalculated. [but they didn't the last few times and probably won't be again.]

I've built and painted simple models and got the same points as more complicated models on the same size base. Some people put more detail in all of their models than others; even on the same model. That's where bonus points should be awarded.

Simple pose or one piece models get the same points as the multi-pose, multi-piece models, when both are on the same size base.

YMMV.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

The OSL comment sounded like you were somehow using quality as a meter in judging points, which is at least what I was responding to...

If akum's legitimacy comment is about something else, I'm as in the dark as you are.

Kturok, do you have a link to that? Was that this year (because I don't remember it if it was). All I see is a statement about model size, nothing on bases. Bikes/cav basically have their own category; vehicles are often more specifically listed, but there's nothing on base size in the OP, and I don't remember any discussion about 32mm bases, or really using bases as anything other than a way to eyeball size for uncommon stuff.

Also, sorry, I'm not sure which you're arguing for... at the end you seem to be saying base size is the main point, but say that your minis were decided to be worth less because they were smaller models.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Well I wrote it at 3 in the morning after an extremely long day. If I insulted anyone, it was not on purpose. I don't even read any claim in legitimacy in the comment. I stated it had 3-4 scarabs per base, which is legal for swarm bases (as per 40k rules). I stated it looked like OSL on the bums. I asked for close up pictures.

THEN, I stated, in an entirely different line, that I was fine with whatever people agreed upon.

Not once , in any point debate in this thread, have I commented with my opinion of what the points were worth. I simply let everyone decide and update the thread as we go.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

KT's point is very valid though, and I'll agree with it.
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

It was several years ago.. The 1st one I participated in.. What year did GW change base size?.

What I've contended, is that points should be based on models size and difficulty and extras, like basing and for painting, extra quality.

My thoughts on this series of posts is that, that's how we started the contest, that's how we should finish it.

NEXT YEAR or the end of this year. WE, should discuss these particulars and update the 'rules'.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

The issue is thus: if I would have painted and based (on a 20mm) each individual scarab, they would qualify for 1 point each. I get called out for splitting the difference and counted as a 40mm model size, and get called out on it.

I dont even understand what the motivation for pointing to something like that as an issue. Like, why dont we comment on peoples lack of skill at painting basing or modeling. Oh look mold lines.

Its like, hella against the spirit of what we are doing here. This really triggered me, not really sure why. Sorry
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

If the models come on 40mm bases, you should get the points of the 40mm bases, If they come with 25mm rounds, you get those.
I think the initial question was, why do simple models on big bases get the same points as more complex ones.

The answer is this. They get the points based on the base size. They aren't 15mm.. They 28mm models. True they are smaller than an infantrymen, but that's not the model.

Like I said earlier, CSM terminators on 25mm bases get less points than those on 40mm per the rules. Why, base size.

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Man, you're the one talking about how you could have gamed the points... and now you're making implied snipes about people being lazy painters?

I dunno, I've been working under the model of "ask if there's any ambiguity" and pretty much everything gets rounded down. Kingdom Death guys, which I've painted a ton of, are taller and more detailed than terminators, but people said they didn't have the bulk to count, so, they're bumped down to the same class that includes tiny little 15mm guys that are the size of their torsos, but I was fine with that because there was a consensus.

I don't know what the spirit is here, other than painting toys and showing them off, and getting points recognizing your progress based on what a consensus of peers says they're worth by completion, not merit.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

I wasnt the one who implied someone was gaming the system. I wasnt implying any "snipes" about others, again, with the micro aggressions.. I was stating we DONT do those sorts of things because thats not what this is for.

Im done with this conversation.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Dude, what I said was
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:30 pm
Not to nit-pick, but scarabs are pretty small to get 2 points... they seem much closer in scope to a 15[sic]mm infantry unit and have a pretty small amount of surface area, IIRC about that of a normal 30mm guy total?
I didn't think that, within the scope of what I've seen before, they were worth 2 points. I didn't make any accusations or anything.

But, yeah, I don't need this argument in my casual gaming stuff. I've got enough stress from things with actual stakes, I don't to get mouthed off at over who can paint the most toys. Have fun painting, guys, gonna' be off for a while.
-Nietzsche

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

[Admin hat]
Okay. Stop it, guys.
Not only is this not really the right thread for discussing at length what points should and should not be (we can start one for that, though), we're a bunch of grown ass men painting plastic and metal models on a 'point system.' I can't think of much else we can do on Bartertown that should be taken less seriously.
So, look... someone said something in a way that made someone else think he was saying something he wasn't. Others added on comments that unintentionally escalated it. Okay?
Let's just drop it. This silly little contest doesn't need to devolve into this any further than it already has.
Nobody INTENDED to be an ass to anyone else. Nobody MEANT to cause insult.
I'm not going to hand out any bans or suspensions over it but, if you make a snarky comment AFTER this post, I WILL send you a PM and ask you politely to let it go.
[/Admin hat]

It's crazy to change the rules in the middle of the game. It's a 40mm base, it should be 2 points. It doesn't matter how we feel about it. That's the rule.
My vote is to leave points untouched.

We're half way through the year. How about we start NOW in discussing a points scheme for NEXT year? CONSTRUCTIVELY.

I'll start a new thread.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
skuller ( 310 )
Bartertown's Bob Ross

Post by skuller »

2nd tactical 2 company.jpg
finish a second tactical squad for 2nd company
10 marines 10 points
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No international trades (not including Canada)
BTR rules
lower rates ship first
---------
Hail Hydra!!!
skuller ( 310 )
Bartertown's Bob Ross

Post by skuller »

@Akum amazing job on those necrons that was a lot of painting and l really like the color scheme
just remember folks we are doing this for fun and to motivate us to paint more figures and we are ultimate competing against ourselves at the end of the year.
That being said there is no way in hell Im staying second place ....Im coming for you :D
No international trades (not including Canada)
BTR rules
lower rates ship first
---------
Hail Hydra!!!
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

10(464) for skuller!
~Ryan~

akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

Thanks skuller, excited about 40k after forever! You will have a ton of units to choose from come 8th. How many 40k factions do you have now?

Return to “Creative Endeavors”