More airbrush questions.

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

osloco ( 210 )
Resident Trader

More airbrush questions.

Post by osloco »

I googled it and can't find much / am at work and should be doing other things. I have a 6(?) gallon hitachi air compressor in my shop to run nail guns, etc. Could I attach this to an airbrush, or is that a silly idea and way overpowered? I keep looking at fancy painting threads (Looking at you Spiralingcadaver) and think I should give it a go, and on the cheap to start would be okay.
Please ship to my by post office, couriers pull all kinds of shenanigans with customs fees
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: More airbrush questions.

Post by kturock »

You'd need a regulator for pressure and a moisture catcher in line.

I know a guy who uses a commercial sprayer for furniture, and then dials down the pressure for models.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
osloco ( 210 )
Resident Trader

Post by osloco »

Great news! It already has a pressure regulator. I just have to check if it is low enough. I definitely need a filter though. Thanks Kt - u -rock. lolololol
Please ship to my by post office, couriers pull all kinds of shenanigans with customs fees
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Home Depot has them. If they exist in the great whit north.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Thelvin78 ( 22 )
New Trader

Post by Thelvin78 »

You can use a one gallon but defiantly get the filter. You should be able to get one at Hobby Lobby. They have a good selection of air brush supplies. The only issue I've ever had with using a tank compressor or compressed air is loss of spay consistency when you begin to run out of air in the tank.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Most airbrush users use between 15-30 psi at any given time. If your compressor can get as low as 15 then you are good. I use a 3 gallon tank and it takes me a while to run through the air - a 6 gallon would give you a ton of air to work with.

As for a moisture trap, you can get one that attaches to your airbrush too if you cannot find one that attaches to your compressor. Currently I use this:

I like it because it acts as a rest/grip for your hand so it doesn't tire out.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “Creative Endeavors”