Metallic red

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Metallic red

Post by MagickalMemories »

kturock wrote:Scorching Red looks closest. But is missing the silver flake.
THe color red I'm thinking of is the color of Candied Apples; thus the Candy Apple red name. It's bright. It's shiney. It's red.
And I want it with a silver flek or flake.
Did you see the pic I posted? The red in the top left corner sounds like exactly what you're describing.

Oh, and I'd stay away from fingernail polish. You won't be able to control it like regular paint, and it's just going to put a thick, hard coating on the model, likely filling in any details you're trying to paint (wrinkles in clothes, etc).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I'll check out the local Michaels and look at their Folk Art paint.
I stopped at the RC store today and picked up some Tamiya Color paints. Bright Red, Black and Metalic Red.
They're for use on Polycarbonate. I asked if they'd work on 'normal' plastic models. They said they would. I'm going to test spray on some sprues 1st.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Keep us updated on that. Please.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I'll post pics tomorrow or Monday. I gotta go in early tomorrow. 1 side is Tamiya Metallic Red. The other side is Tamiya Black.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

all out side.
with flash:

without flash:

Yes I have a spot to touch up down the front. That's where I masked it.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I bought a really cool sparkly red that I was going to try for you but then I got poisoned and had no energy to do anything.

I'll try it on something today and upload pictures later. I think it will work for you, it has the candy apple red and is made of silvery flakes. Found it at the dollar store of all places.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

That red I used has metal sparkles. I looked in Michael's and they had Testor's paints. Very simliar to Tamiya, but less since it was Michael's vs a small RC shop. Also had bottles for touch up.s
I plan on painting the other wearver with the bright red and black.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I primd red the 2nd model using rustoleum flat white the other night. I then sprayed it with the Tamiya Bright Red. The next day, the red paint bubbled, and would scratch off with my finger. I started stripping it a couple nights ago. The cheap mart store flat white held better than the name brand.
Go figure.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Wow.

Well I can try this stuff I found, no clue how it'll work though.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

You could try hitting the red with the Minitaire Ghost tint Red after the red goes on. It's what I've been doing with my BA and has come out with a nice Candy colour and blends in the colour transitions that I made while highlighting. I'll try to get a pic of it when I can.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I stripped the model down to plastic.
I primered it using Krylon flat white primer last night.
I sprayed the Tamiya red on the right side. After it dried, I sealed it with Krylon flat sealer.
I masked the red side and sprayed the left side black.
I just pealed the masking tape off and the red paint pealed and chipped off again.
I scratched the balck and it's doing the same.

That's 2 brands of primer and neither held.
I just checked the model I sprayed with mart flat white. It ships off also.

I guess it's the Tamiya brand paint and how it reacts with other paints.

2 models that need to be stripped and repainted.
3 cans of Tamiya paint that I can't use or return.

1 unhappy camper.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Maybe it's the fact that you're priming the models? Some paints etch themselves into the surface. So, if you're putting a layer between it and the plastic, that's interfering with the adhesion properties.
That is a hypothesis, of course.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I think it's more a matter of using the wrong type of paint on the wrong type of primers.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”