Noob Question About Futuristic Mini's

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Masakik ( 28 )
Journeyman Trader

Noob Question About Futuristic Mini's

Post by Masakik »

So my question is:

My friend is looking to get into painting Futuristic style mini's like WH 40k. I told him there may be cheaper options for more bang for his buck, since he's just into painting. What would you recommend him painting? Looking for nice detail, cool looking stuff for a very good price.

Thanks!
When shipping to Canada always put value at $20 or less and label as Toy Soldiers or something related to toys.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Re: Noob Question About Futuristic Mini's

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Mantic, Wargames Factory, Reaper.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

EM-4 plastics.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=49312.0

Lts of suggestions in the thread above.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
Masakik ( 28 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Masakik »

Thanks for the help! He's hard to convince, the guy is in love with WH 40k and doesn't seem to like anything else.
When shipping to Canada always put value at $20 or less and label as Toy Soldiers or something related to toys.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Moved thread to the appropriate Discussion forum.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
H W Raney ( 418 )
Resident Trader

Post by H W Raney »

Masakik,
If your friend is dead set on GW 40K miniatures, he (one presumes) could prowl through the E-bay auctions, post a "want to buy old/outdated 40K" advert here on BarterTown or periodically check the "trade in" tables at your local game shop. Might have to do some paint stripping (good practice in and of itself) but individual figures, particularly with 40K tend to be, for a GW product, less expensive.
Just a thought or three
Personal Guidelines:
PayPal or MO are both welcome.
No trouble with Canadian or overseas orders. Just please be aware of the extra time and postage costs involved.
Significantly lower rating ships/pays first - this goes both ways.
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

I'd definitely recommend Reaper's bones line- their Chronoscope minis are good detail without costing very much. Also, you could look into Dark Age (they have decent prices) and Mercs Miniatures (also decent prices). I'd recommend Infinity, but those minis are quite costly.

But if he is dead set on GW minis, I figure let him. One option to open his mind is look into some of the use with GW lines- Scibor Miniatures in particular is pretty nice.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Bones is a "bendy" plastic. Keep that in mind before buying it. I wish I'd known that before I traded for a bunch of it.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

Yeah, bones is similar to the kind of plastic you get from pre-paints. I definitely prefer the thicker ones (the spears tend to be bendy).

You could swap out the spears for rods and whatnot. A friend of mine told me how he did it, and I haven't tried this method yet:

When you put the mini into hot or boiling water, the plastic remembers the shape it was formed in and immediately moves back into its original shape. However, if you just let it cool this way, it will remember the shape it cooled in and bend back out of shape.

So, you need to retrain it. Get some boiling water, some cold water and some tongs. Dip the mini into the boiling water (and you'll see it correct all of the poor bends) then pull it out and make it cool much faster by putting it into the cold water.

The first time, it should still bend a little out of it's shape, but not as much as the first time. Do this a few times and you'll have a mini that stays in the shape it was cast in.

Here's the kicker for all of this- his orc spears are perfect, and when they get bent (due to carelessness with minis on the table) they bend right back the way they should be.

As I said, I haven't tried this yet, but his results were definitely very good.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”