Mirrored Canopy

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Mirrored Canopy

Post by jason1977 »

Working on my Dark Talon and I have zero intrest in painting the inside cockpit. Any suggestions on how to give the cockpit plastic 'glass' a mirrored look??
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Mirrored Canopy

Post by optimusprime14 »

What do you want to achieve exactly? Do you want it to look like glass that has ligh reflecting off of it or do you actually want it to mirror something?
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader
Location: Garden City, Kansas or 3 miles from the middle of no where

Post by Xoan »

I personally use this method.

- A colored wash over white.
- Silver glaze over it.
- I do another silver glaze again but add some of the colored wash back to it. (I am going for a smooth transition between the colors like a reflection) *
- The last step is where the glass comes to points or edges I make them more silver with a highlight, and then free hand a glare if I am going for a high shine look.

* if you look at glass it is reflecting the objects around it, but they are never really well seen unless you are at just the right angle. The darker swirls that are in the window could be objects off in the distance or they could be the absents of a source of light.

That is the quick way I do it anyways, I hope it helps. The most important thing is keep the layers as thin as possible. heh
I will ship out of the US please let me know within the first post where you are if not in the US, it does affect how the trade goes some times. Thanks Also lower rank ships first, and I always want to both use and receive a tracking number so I can know when to expect things.

I have a website and a blog, and I am a painting service feel free to ask for a quote anytime.
http://miniaturesampd.com/
http://miniaturesampd.wordpress.com/
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

optimusprime14 wrote:What do you want to achieve exactly? Do you want it to look like glass that has ligh reflecting off of it or do you actually want it to mirror something?
a quick (and I mean quick) yahoo search finds this:
mitsubishi-fuso-fighter-201126073.jpg
The windshield is reflecting the trees and sunlight and you cannot really see inside.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

Here's something that I thought of when you posted this:

http://blog.spikeybits.com/2013/03/how- ... glass.html
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Even doing that would work BUT I have limited skill in painting and very few colors of paint. I could (if I had to) hire someone.......
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Not having enough paint will be your biggest limitation. If you don't have the right colors, then... ::shrug::

Most of the ways I could think of would require 3 to 4 different colors, at least. Myself, I'd do mine in blue, using various shades, then put a couple white lines across it, to mimic a reflection.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader
Location: Garden City, Kansas or 3 miles from the middle of no where

Post by Xoan »

Heya jason1977,

I just wanted to say that I feel that a more accurate laying out of what you trying to have done would be to define... (What you want, and what you able to do) ... this would help guide the conversation more you are looking for. It would come across to those trying to help you as friendlier, like the saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey."

I think what you are wanting is a near perfect reflection of a something iconic to the GW world, but you have limited painting skills, and you are unsure how to get there with what you able to do currently.

If that is what you are meaning to say, I would say that you probably do want to hire a painting service. I say that as a painting service, but I can also tell you what they would have to do get that would not be cheap. The above method I gave is what I do with the Table Top and Above Table Top painting levels, I just make it look nicer, or pre shade shapes behind the glass like there is a pilot for example. However, what you are wanting would be Studio Quality or Display Quality, and would be very hard imo. There only two ways you could get this look; first you could paint them on free, but remember you are seeing a reflection so they are reversed, and second would be a tattoo transfer that was backwards, which means you have to make it. This would be done on a computer to scale of each window, and then put onto special paper where a laser printer would then place the graphic on, and then the whole process of transferring the tattoo, then letting it dry on and seal it a few times so it doesn't peel off.

Those are my suggestions, and there are probably others, but none come to mind atm.

Anyways, best of luck either way. :)
Clark
I will ship out of the US please let me know within the first post where you are if not in the US, it does affect how the trade goes some times. Thanks Also lower rank ships first, and I always want to both use and receive a tracking number so I can know when to expect things.

I have a website and a blog, and I am a painting service feel free to ask for a quote anytime.
http://miniaturesampd.com/
http://miniaturesampd.wordpress.com/
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

it dosent have to be perfect mirror of a GW planet. Heck you could paint a Kansas sunset and I wouldnt know the difference.

I called the local hobby store and they have some thing that may work. I just need to get down there when the wife can watch the kid and see what it is.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Keep us updated.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Paint it black and then do a gloss varnish on the glass .

Return to “Creative Endeavors”