Stripping Plastic Models

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

TheOgreTyrant ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Stripping Plastic Models

Post by TheOgreTyrant »

Hey guys. i was wondering what you all think is the best method to strip paint from plastic models. I use simple green for my metal models, and it works great. But when I strip the plastics it doesn't work as well and sometimes it actually melts the models a little bit. So what do you guys use to strip your plastic models?
Thanks everybody!
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Re: Stripping Plastic Models

Post by tordeck »

Ive never had a problem with Simple Green, try diluting it a little.

The other option is to try a product called Purple Power. Its similar to Simple Green but a tad cheaper.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I've used purple power to strip testors paint and super glue off plastic eldar and am experimenting with it an fine cast and other resins.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
H W Raney ( 418 )
Resident Trader

Post by H W Raney »

There was this thread from 09 that might be of some help: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=85428
Wayne
Personal Guidelines:
PayPal or MO are both welcome.
No trouble with Canadian or overseas orders. Just please be aware of the extra time and postage costs involved.
Significantly lower rating ships/pays first - this goes both ways.
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

I have used Purple Power and Simple Green, and have found that Dawn Power Dissolver beats the pants off both.
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by borthcollective »

MattHoell wrote:I have used Purple Power and Simple Green, and have found that Dawn Power Dissolver beats the pants off both.
I would agree with this. I've also left plastic in this stuff for months without any ill effect.

What type plastic are you trying to clean, because I haven't heard of simple green melting plastic ever.
TheOgreTyrant ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TheOgreTyrant »

borthcollective wrote:
MattHoell wrote:I have used Purple Power and Simple Green, and have found that Dawn Power Dissolver beats the pants off both.
I would agree with this. I've also left plastic in this stuff for months without any ill effect.

What type plastic are you trying to clean, because I haven't heard of simple green melting plastic ever.
They were GW plastic models. They were old though so maybe that is why. The whole model didn't melt, just the some details.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I just finished using Purple Power to break down super glue.
I got some Dystopian Wars models. The flyers were glued to the posts, but the posts aren't glued to the bases. THe models are metal and the bases and posts are clear plastic. Not model plastic, but the harder type. Acrylic I think.
I left the models in the PP for about 1 week. I checked them a couple times during the week and they were sticll stuck together. On the 7th day, I tried wiggleing them again and they moved a bit. I held the metal model in 1 hand and grabbed the plastic/acrylic with a pair of pliers and twisted. The pieces seperated with out breaking.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
con-fusion ( 190 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by con-fusion »

Dawn Power Dissolver is my go to goop. I just found a batch of RT era GW plastics that I'd forgotten about in a jar of Dawn for two years. Paint came off easily, and no loss of detail.

One thing about plastics though, some primers chemically bond, so they won't come off entirely.
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by borthcollective »

One thing to remember with any of these stripping products. Never let the stripping agent dry. I have let the dawn power dissolver dry up and it becomes hard as a rock and much harder to clean. I think it was a mixture of elmers glue and super glue became a hard coat on everything, but it was hard as hell to get off after a resoak.
con-fusion ( 190 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by con-fusion »

Concur. Always put a lid on your soaking jar.
aruki ( 4 )
Trade Novice

Post by aruki »

Has anyone ever tried oil eater? I have been told it is very similar to simple green and works well.
guidelines- Lower rated ships first on trades unless we have dealt with each other before and agree. Sales- If I am buying from you I will pay and you then ship irregardless of rating. If you are buying from me you pay and then I will ship regardless of rating.
http://aruki-40kgruntlove.blogspot.kr/
Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader
Location: Garden City, Kansas or 3 miles from the middle of no where

Post by Xoan »

Something that is pretty strong, and is good for a short time is Easy Off Oven Spray, make sure to get the fume-less or wear a good mask as it will kill you and everyone else in the room if you do not. lol I use it on my plastics, metal, and resin and it is no problem, but I also do not let it set for more than 24 hours either. I have never tried it on Finecast as that is not something I have traded for with paint on it... matter of fact I do not trade for Finecast very often at all. lol

I have never had problems with Simple Green, and I use it often as well.

These two products have different purposes though in my life. Easy Off is something I do when I want to get something done, and I have planned time to do the whole project. Simple Green is something I do a batch of, and then leave in the garage for a week or two until I get to it. After that warm water, and the mix of pipe cleaning rods and tooth brushes I have does the rest.

Anyways, I hope that helps.
Clark
I will ship out of the US please let me know within the first post where you are if not in the US, it does affect how the trade goes some times. Thanks Also lower rank ships first, and I always want to both use and receive a tracking number so I can know when to expect things.

I have a website and a blog, and I am a painting service feel free to ask for a quote anytime.
http://miniaturesampd.com/
http://miniaturesampd.wordpress.com/
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

1 of the local guys found out that simple green will melt resin, the hard way. He left it in there and forgot it was there. about 6 monthes later he found it. model was melted.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”