Inflated price of warhammer books

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Inflated price of warhammer books

Post by flyingwhale »

Random story time for me:
About 4 years ago I decided to buy warhammer end times novel the lords of the dead which collects the first two books of the end time. I paid 20 dollars for it.
A005497B-1E0F-4481-B7C2-FCA28BC9521C.jpeg
I figured hey let’s give warhammer lore a chance. I got preoccupied with life and didn’t end up reading the book until recently and thought it was a decent story. So I wanted to finish the story.

There are three other books in the series: The Curse of Khaine, The Rise of the Horned Rat, and The Lord of the End Times.

Now here’s where my wtf journey begins for finding these books begin catalogued below:
1) I went to my local book store. Result: no luck
2) I went to larger chain book store. Result: no luck
3) I went to games workshop. Result: no luck and I was made fun of by the guy working there telling me the end times was 4 years ago and why I was even bothering cause they are in the age of Sigmar now.
4) I went to the internet. Result: found it but holy are they overpriced

The books original retail price are no more than 20 dollars. The lowest price online I can find either of them for is the 100s. Then I saw the death of the old world price which is a collection of two of the books. I almost spit out of my coffee. These prices were consisted all over the internet.
D2F8EEA2-3602-428C-A20D-C3F074290B8B.png
95F97E48-5448-4C88-BECF-3E5D308FB0F2.png
48934515-CC50-4418-B4F7-73E4783CD798.png
Now I’m sure this is maybe a result of supply and demand or scarcity of the book. Still that is a crazy jump from the original price.

So my question to you all have you experience anything like this with your books or war gaming? Or if you have a suggestion for me to buy the book at a reasonable price. I’d be forever grateful. I

P.S I realize I can buy digital but I really want the hard copy.

Cheers
Jordan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

Read this before shipping to me
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Re: Inflated price of warhammer books

Post by wsott1970 »

Yeah, this would be the pains of the secondary market... Amazon resellers set bad prices and whenever the last of the cheaper ones sell they are the only game in town (on Amazon)... Try eBay... Might catch a deal there... but the question is always how much can you charge? The answer seems to be whatever the silliest (or richest) person will pay.

Good Luck - Time and Preseverence are your friends.

Sean
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

the problem with a lot of Amazon sellers is that they don't actually set the prices manually. They have an automated process, where the computer uses an algorithm to calculate the price based on scarcity. Used to run into this a lot on half.com, too.
I don't remember the specifics, but I looked into it many (many) years ago.

If you have any local used book stores, try there. I know that my local used store has access to a database of some sort that he can search availability. I'm presuming there's something out there that allows them to upload stock lists and share the info, in case customers inquire.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

I found the prices consisted on e bay and all online. I just used amazon as an example.
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

Read this before shipping to me
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

This happens with a lot of books, not just Warhammer. I was looking to complete my collection of the 'Dragons of Argonath' series by Christopher Rowling.

I constantly found prices like these:
dragonultimate.JPG
I ended up finding two copies of that book in a local used book store. Paid 10 bucks.

Of course that is just an example, since it may be over 700 bucks from one source, but I also found more for less elsewhere.

Your best bet? Is to buy digital. But if you really really want a physical copy, then start hounding the forums and Facebook groups. Start going to cities with used book stores (or calling them to see if they have it).

Other than that, post ads looking for them. You may find someone who doesn't want to rip your kidney out for it. I've had to do some serious searching to complete some of my bigger collections, it just takes patience.

Best of luck, though!

R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Buddy of mine has the last book. I'm going to have to tell him he's sitting on one thousand bucks!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

flyingwhale wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:43 pm
I found the prices consisted on e bay and all online. I just used amazon as an example.
Half.com was owned by eBay. Most of the half.com sellers sold on eBay, too. When they shut down half.com, ebay became their only option.
They use the algorithms, too.
It's dumb.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

I think I found the second book for about $20 on alibris.com, but the third and fourth were back in extortion category. Diligence, time and used bookstores will let you eventually find most game-related books at reasonable prices.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

@flyingwhale

just be diligent in your searching if you want it bad enough...

I have been trying to get a complete "Supremacy" board game with all add'ons for like 10 years now. I go to Ebay and search every couple of weeks (if I think about it) and sometimes I will find what i need at my price.

I think I am only missing 1 add on at the moment and then it will be complete.

my biggest competition is an online used board game ebay shop that has literally outbid me or gotten to a buy-it-now a couple of times before I can and then turns around and jacks up the price 1000ish percent.
megsdadlamarr ( 82 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by megsdadlamarr »

It's fairly common to put a ridiculous price on an item no longer in stock so they can retain the description for the next listing.
"Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

"Vini Vidi Vamoose" We came, We saw, We ran away---- unknown Goblin

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”