So what happens when it’s time to go?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

NorthWestWind ( 58 )
BTown Regular

So what happens when it’s time to go?

Post by NorthWestWind »

So, It seems like I’ve been getting sick more often and for longer. My doctor said things appear normal, but he sent me for some labs to make sure.

This got me thinking, What happens to all of my stuff when I die?

I’m the only “nerd” in the family, so there isn’t anyone really interested in this stuff. My surviving gaming buddies get first crack and things that they personally want, but we’re talking about a collection of close to a thousand rpg/gaming books and tens of thousands of dollars worth of minis.

Most likely, I’m gonna leave a shitload of work for one of my loved ones at a time when they don’t really want to be doing that. I kind of went through a similar experience a few years ago when my dad died and it sucked.

So, what can I do to make it easier for whomever has to sort through this mess?

My collecting habits boarder on hoarding. Anyone else been able to fight this tick and get rid of a collection like this without having panic attacks or great regrets?
If I owe you a reference let me know.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: So what happens when it’s time to go?

Post by pretre »

Set up a will so it's clear what's going where. Don't leave it on your family to figure it out. If you don't have a designated person for it to go to, arrange with a reseller or store to take it all off your family's hands and buy it off them or sell it for them.

I've seen this happen a bunch and sometimes the family enjoys digging into the life of their loved one and sometimes it is just another chore. Better to talk about this kind of thing now.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Secondly, and I should probably add that I am a reseller myself, I would say that if you want to start reducing your collection now, find a reseller you can trust and start working with them to clear out some of the piles. If it's just sitting there not being used, you might as well put that capital to your current enjoyment.

I've cleaned out spare rooms, houses and storage units at this point. I think all of my clients felt better when they had space and when the paypal payments started rolling in. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I would say that pretre has one of the best buy prices... and he isn’t trying to resell at ungodly prices...

I think I will end up in this same boat one day... fortunately, I just willed them to friends.

Best wishes for future health.

Sean
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

My collecting habits boarder on hoarding. Anyone else been able to fight this tick and get rid of a collection like this without having panic attacks or great regrets?
I was getting near the hoarder mentality. Then, one day, I just decided it wasn't worth it. I was spending all this money on all this crap I'd never use and that nobody in my family gave a crap about except me. They weren't things my kids would treasure one day. They were just... things they wouldn't know what to do with.
They were taking up room in my home I could've used for other things and, frankly, even *I* didn't know all the crap I had. So, I just started selling it off on eBay, and enjoying the stuff the money got me. In 2019, my family and I will be enjoying Gold Season passes, dining passes and Flash Passes (skip the line passes) thanks to the selling of some of my painted gaming crap last Fall.

My kids are going to remember the fun times we had at Six Flags in a FAR BETTER light than they'd remember "having to get rid of all dad's gaming sh*t in the basement."

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

That is a really cool thing to do with your kids... I lived in Atlanta for almost two decades and I really enjoyed the proximity to 6 Flags... We took the kids there a lot and when I was younger I went a lot on season passes by myself (offseason to avoid lines)... That is precious time and it passes very quickly... You will enjoy it MM... My kids are too old (21/19) and don't want to be around old farts.

I can offer one piece of advice (and if you are lucky you won't need it)... You may find that one of your kids (or your wife and a kid - as in my case) may have different tolerances to things (rides/temperature/exposure and walking)... Best to break-up into subgroups sometimes as it can frustrate others... This is especially true with season passes... I will let you shoot me out of a cannon... I am happiest when death-defyin'... but my kids definitely didn't start that way (and my wife was past that - as we had done it too much before the children were born)... I sound like the joker cackling when I get shot on the big slingshots or thrown off of something... Eventually, the kids came around... but it was kind of hard when they wouldn't ride most anything and would get very tired of walking/etc.

More about them than you... and Mommy needs to be happy too...

I wanted them to overcome fear quicker than they could I suppose... but I never really had fear until I was much older... of course as a teenager, I did snap my wrist playing (what they now call ships-mast) and that was a mild penalty for coming off of a moving car... So, maybe they were just smarter than me.

I hope it is a great experience for you and your family (once in a lifetime my friend)!

Sean
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Oh and one more... If they have any of the rickety, white-lumber, up and down (only) rollercoasters like 6-Flags GA (don't know because I think ours was built a long time before the others) stay off - I refer to them as ass smashers for old people... Not enough fun to justify the spinal and hip damage.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

This is our 3rd year having Season Passes.
Most of the time, it ends up just being my (now) 11 year old and me together. She's been in love with Roller Coasters since she was 8, and is the only one who will ride just about ANY coaster with me. The older daughter hates to go upside down, and the wife won't ride them at all.
So, the younger daughter and I go once or twice a month.

The wife can't keep up with us, and the older daughter can only keep up with us for MOST of the day. Usually, they youngest and I will open and close the park.

We do have a wooden coaster. Three, in fact. We have the Screaming Eagle, which once held world records. Originally built in 197(1?). It doesn't use Flash passes, so we beeline for it in the morning and ride it two or 3 times in a row.
We have American Thunder. Also a fun ride.
We have The Boss. I will only ride this once per visit. it's a 150' drop to a 65+ mph acceleration. But it'll rattle your head right off of your neck. I LOVE the ride for the drops and speed, but I'll have a headache for at least an hour after riding it.

We (the youngest and I) love every coaster in the park!

Eric

But enough threadjacking from me...
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I just cleaned my den. We have a 3 bedroom house and no kids or even people staying with us. Just me and the wife.
1 bedroom is her den, the other mine.
We just had to clean, straighten both rooms since were getting new hurricane windows. My den barely had a path through.
I just donated a bunch of old books. I've straightened and condensed a lot. All self-printed materials, PDF's I printed and have still electronic copies of have been sent to recycle.

Anyway, back to the original subject. My wife said that when I die, all of 'that crap is going into the pond'. We have a pond that was dug to provide fill to raise the house slab.

I've told her that my gaming buddies can go through and take what they want 1st and then to have one sell it for her. She still insists that all of it is going to be fill.

I have almost every army for AoS and most for 40k.
I have dozens of different RPG's and hundreds of books for them.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

kturock wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 pm
My wife said that when I die, all of 'that crap is going into the pond'. We have a pond that was dug to provide fill to raise the house slab.

I've told her that my gaming buddies can go through and take what they want 1st and then to have one sell it for her. She still insists that all of it is going to be fill.

I have almost every army for AoS and most for 40k.
I have dozens of different RPG's and hundreds of books for them.
Man, that's mean to the pond. :)
GearHead ( 674 )
Expert Trader

Post by GearHead »

2 words: Viking. Funeral.
A few trade guidlines:
1) If your feedback is significantly lower, I expect you to ship first, even if I'm buying- Money carries greater risks than minis: I can't buy groceries with a box of Tac Marines!
2) Communication is key! I'm a reasonable guy (I try,) so if there's a problem, tell me!
3) I package things well, you should do the same. Protect minis from each other, too.
4) Leave feedback!
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

That is pretty good... but make sure you know somebody that is good with a bow... and have a boat ready to go.

I work at a hospital (really a large network of hospitals) and I am very interested in trying to talk them into making me into the first brain in a can so I can continue my work... but I am unsure if they really take me seriously... but I am willing to try it out (as long as I have connectivity to the internet)... Really isn't a joke... but the tech isn't there yet.

Actually, what would be funny is to have a friend hide them at locations where pre-teens would find them... If 10 year old me found a painted army (in a box to protect it) in the woods I would *edit* a brick with happiness... Even from the standpoint of them as toys... much less a ridiculously expensive army.

Problem with today's kids is that their parents wouldn't let them go into the woods (as if woods still exists in many places)... Maybe poorer youths in rural areas.

I would propose treasure maps in the right age group books within the library... that would be cool... but by then libraries won't exist (or paper books for the masses).

I guess the much less cool but way more realistic way is to donate them to a large playgroup (think organized and large city) that would either sell them for a charity or donate them to young players.

I want mine to go to young players... but charity is a really good thing (see eBay charity auctions).

You will need to have a friend that knows the hobby and form will agreements (I have done this... with several friends on different kinds of possessions where we share a hobby)... but I spent a lot of my life with my friends (I maintained all but two of my friends from early childhood [despite us living in totally different places for ages]) and in fact I still play with a lot of them weekly (in person - or in my can if you are starting to think that).

You can do a lot with it... and you may find before you reach the end you may no longer want them anyway... Take that time to give them to parties (not related to you) that are heavy into the hobby but too young to own what they want (and just hope the GFs don't get them out of the hobby)... or again charity eBay auction.

It is manageable...

Sean (not a brain in a can [at present])

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”